Map: Moisture Trap Compound

Threads for tokens/libraries of complete ready to use game maps made by MapTool users and provided for other users to make use of. (This is just like the section for frameworks users have made and offered to others, but specific to completed MapTool maps).

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

joshsziegler
Cave Troll

Map: Moisture Trap Compound

Post by joshsziegler »

Moisture Trap:
Update: I fixed the links and added a link to all of my maps.
License: Public Domain
Background: This is a fairly low-tech moisture trap facility which was put under ground to avoid detection and help lower the internal temperature. Minimal supplies for repairs are in crate indoors, but most other goods are kept off site to avoid burglars. A small shaft provides access to the piping connecting the various moisture traps surrounding the facility. The shabby building above ground has a well-hidden hatch which provides the only access to the rest of the compound. Due to the open troughs and poor seal on the facility, plant life has flourished above the tanks, which might tip off the observant. The satellite dish is a recent addition. Now that the facilities' operators are well established, they have come to the conclusion that having more data on the traps outweighs the risk of discovery.

Steel Rat: You'll notice the background is yours: http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=308. You didn't put any note about license, but if you want me to take this down, please let me know.

Advice and/or comments are welcome. I didn't put much effort into this one since I needed it this week... and it shows.
Last edited by joshsziegler on Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Re: Map: Moisture Trap Compound

Post by jfrazierjr »

Thanks for sharing.

Now for some GIMP advice. I would highly suggest you(and everyone else) get into the habit of using layer masks. They do take a bit more work up front, but give you FAR more flexibility in the long run(unless you working on a throw away thing that you KNOW you will never edit). Also, have you considered using GIMP 2.8(and if you are using it) and it's layer group feature? While not really important for MapTool, by grouping into a layer group all of you underground features, you can hide all of those with a single click on the layer group's visibility icon(unfortunately layer masks can't be assigned at the group level and affect all it's sub layers until GIMP 2.10...) This would make it much easier to show/hide parts of the map for export to jpg quickly.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

That's very cool, thanks for sharing. :)

You may want to consider a Creative Commons license instead of Public Domain. You may not perfectly understand the differences, but if you visit CreativeCommons.org you can find some descriptive text comparing the various licenses.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Thats interesting, you made me curious so i looked it up and the short of it and (to my surprise) under public domain others can claim your work and put a restrictive and commercial license on derivative works while the cc enforces the same license to any derivative. I would not have guessed that.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Many people don't. :(

Another common misconception is that "open source" == "free software" -- they are not the same. All free software is open source, but not all open source is free software. The end result is that open source is pretty much useless in the long-term while free software is very valuable (but there are trade-offs).

That's what I love about the CC licenses: they provide 3-4 licenses that cover the common ways that people want to share their results with the world and those few licenses cover 95% of the situations.

joshsziegler
Cave Troll

Post by joshsziegler »

I would highly suggest you(and everyone else) get into the habit of using layer masks. They do take a bit more work up front, but give you FAR more flexibility in the long run(unless you working on a throw away thing that you KNOW you will never edit). Also, have you considered using GIMP 2.8(and if you are using it) and it's layer group feature?
I'm a total graphics/GIMP newbie, so thanks for the tips!
You may want to consider a Creative Commons license instead of Public Domain. You may not perfectly understand the differences, but if you visit CreativeCommons.org you can find some descriptive text comparing the various licenses.
Despite the thought of someone copyrighting a derivative, I still feel that public domain is what I want. Don't get me wrong, I use GPL/MIT licenses on all my code and love the CC licenses, but when I think back to why MapTool is so awesome, I can't help but think of the mapping torrent everyone uses. Being able to quickly grab a single pack chock full of almost anything you need basically made this tool what it is for me. Putting something like that together is a lot of work though, even if you just have to abide by CC-BY. So the point is, I want to make it dead simple for someone to grab my work and throw it in something like that torrent. I don't care about being mentioned - as long as someone finds it useful. I'm willing to tolerate the potential for misuse for it to be easier to use.

Note: I am aware of the Dundjinni forums and RPG MapShare, but the point is ease of bootstrapping. If i'm a new user or on a new computer (I've had my collection of images lost twice now), I don't want to comb through forums or download the dozens of albums on RPGMS to get started.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Okay, that's cool. It certainly sounds like you understand the licensing issues. :)

Return to “Complete Maps”