Map: Outdoor

Threads for tokens/libraries of complete ready to use game maps made by MapTool users and provided for other users to make use of. (This is just like the section for frameworks users have made and offered to others, but specific to completed MapTool maps).

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Mr.Ice wrote:
Steel Rat wrote: At any rate. Posting the link to the image page is preferable in most cases, because it brings people to the site to see the item, which means they may see other items while they're there.
I fully agree, I bowed to the pressure to embed the images before, even though I though posting links to albums or images would be better in most cases.
Perhaps the best solution is to do both. It's really easy to do, and I like being able to see what's being discussed without having to leave the current page (including moving to other tabs)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

trevor wrote:Perhaps the best solution is to do both. It's really easy to do, and I like being able to see what's being discussed without having to leave the current page (including moving to other tabs)
Well, it's not easy if the options won't work, lol. I'm still looking into why it won't work, but i'm not optimistic yet.
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

Ok, here's a test.

Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

trevor

Post by trevor »

I can see an image :)

I think I'll add to the procedures sticky post to include the image and the link to the image in the post.

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

It's sort of a success. Gallery on my end is appending the G2_GALLERYSID to the end of the URL, even with URL Re-Write on, so you'd have to paste the link, then chop off the "&G2_GALLERYSID=..." from the end for the umg link to work.

Searched in the Gallery forums, and they say it's because the browser isn't supporting cookies (which it is. I can view the cookie with the Gallery SID in it.). So I'm at a loss as to how to fix that.
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

trevor

Post by trevor »

Took a closer look at the actual map that started this thread :)

It occurs to me, you could create an unbounded map using this image, and have a very, very, very, very large area to work in, that, yes, repeats, but has enough flavor to at least be interesting for a large area.

Once stamps are in place, I could imagine creating nearly an entire continent using an unbounded map.

So those 7000 x 7000 images would be replaced with a 1000 x 1000 unbounded map, and just drop city buildings, roads, and everything else, on top. That would be fun to explore. Talk about "unbounded" adventure !

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

That's an interesting thought.

However, I'd be more interested in the map hotlinking. Say you start with a large continental map. the party is traveling to the Big City, so you click on the Big City icon, bringing up the Big City map, then for any areas of the big City the GM has mapped and linked, he or she can click on say the Thieves' Guild and bring up that floorplan. Now THAT'S what I call cool. And being able to back out to the previous level or all the way to the top with one click. Ultimate coolness. Great for Split Party adventures where you're bouncing back and forth.
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Once stamps are in place, I could imagine creating nearly an entire continent using an unbounded map.
Yes, that is how I dream of future gaming.

I really can't wait for stamping features. If we had building images without the roof that are fully furnished and detailed; we could drop a bunch of them on a backdrop, add bushes, trees, wells, carts and people; place some roofs on top of the detailed buildings and show it to the players..

To them it will look like a regular town map but this time when they say they want to go into THIS building, we simply remove the roof with a simple click and the inside of the house is detailed for them to explore. We even have people in there.

In a matter of an hour or so, we can easily make towns like this but unlike every other mapper, they will all be explorable and with framless tokens, we can have movable every day people..

So yeah Trevor, there is a lot we can do here with stampers, generic landscapes, everyday objects and a little bit of time :)

Now get crackin' :P

Vry
Giant

Post by Vry »

Count me among the people eagerly awaiting stamps and layers.

I've been working on a bunch of generic dungeon tiles that will hopefully be able to be pieced together quickly in MapTool to make dungeons on the fly.

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

Vry, if you like I can create some albums on RpgMapShare.com to accomodate those tiles, under the Mapping Objects main album.
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

*Dorpond raises his hand*

I'll take some of that Steel. My goals are to create very simple indoor maps where we can add things later in Maptools (like furniture and such).

I guess some decent wooden floors would be great.

Vry
Giant

Post by Vry »

Bit early for that yet, since we'd need stamp support and I'd have to make sure they actually work in it first. Would probably be the place to put them though.

Currently my only tests of them have been with rotating them around on seperate layers in photoshop to check the fit.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Vry wrote:Bit early for that yet, since we'd need stamp support and I'd have to make sure they actually work in it first. Would probably be the place to put them though.

Currently my only tests of them have been with rotating them around on seperate layers in photoshop to check the fit.
Well in that case, expect to have a first pass at stamps in next weeks release :)

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

Vry wrote:Bit early for that yet, since we'd need stamp support and I'd have to make sure they actually work in it first. Would probably be the place to put them though.

They could be used in other mapping programs, like Dundjinni and CC3 as well, though. Why don't you post a sample or two and we can see.
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

Vry
Giant

Post by Vry »

Eep. Well, guess I'd better hurry up and get them in a workable shape.

Actually, Trevor, you saw a test version of them. That map I sent that was too large to work in MapTool was just the tiles thrown together in photoshop.

Other than furnishings, what do you think they're in the most need of?

Return to “Complete Maps”