Map: Outdoor

Threads for tokens/libraries of complete ready to use game maps made by MapTool users and provided for other users to make use of. (This is just like the section for frameworks users have made and offered to others, but specific to completed MapTool maps).

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

Steel Rat wrote:They could be used in other mapping programs, like Dundjinni and CC3 as well, though
And Dungeonforge :)
Game On!

Vry
Giant

Post by Vry »

Fairly sure they won't look good in Dundjinni or CC3 (Although I don't have either program so who knows) as they're made for MapTool's default of 40DPI.

Dundjinni uses what, 200 standard?
What about CC3 or Dungeonforge?

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

Vry wrote:Fairly sure they won't look good in Dundjinni or CC3 (Although I don't have either program so who knows) as they're made for MapTool's default of 40DPI.

Dundjinni uses what, 200 standard?
What about CC3 or Dungeonforge?
Hmm, yeah 40dpi won't look good zoomed in. Though would be fine for distance work. DJ is usually 200 dpi, though I've switched to doing 300 dpi.
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

Vry
Giant

Post by Vry »

300!? :shock:

That's crazy, I have a hard enough time keeping my computer from choking working at 150 on my normal maps.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Vry wrote:they're made for MapTool's default of 40DPI.
As a side note, 40dpi was very arbitrary. I needed a square, and 40 sounded good. Have to remember, this was when we didn't have anything but a window, and a map :)

I'm fully open to re-evaluating this decision.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Vry
Giant

Post by Vry »

Considering all of these pieces will have to be sent to everyone connected to the server, small is probably good.

If we were going to pick a new default though, I'd prefer some power of 2, like 64, 128, whatever.

I got into the habit of having to use those when doing sprite design a decade ago and it's just stuck with me.

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

Vry wrote:300!? :shock:

That's crazy, I have a hard enough time keeping my computer from choking working at 150 on my normal maps.
lol, I'm sure some others go higher. I don't really have a problem with lots of 200 and 300 dpi objects on a map. I guess I have enough RAM and a decent vid card.
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

Does Maptool do any image scaling along with resizing?
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

trevor

Post by trevor »

Steel Rat wrote:Does Maptool do any image scaling along with resizing?
Actually, it only does scaling, it doesn't resize anything.

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

Ok, so, please forgive my graphics ignorance. If a stamped image starts out at 300 dpi, 640x480, what is it scaled down to? Will it still have the same size in memory as the original image?
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

trevor

Post by trevor »

Steel Rat wrote:Ok, so, please forgive my graphics ignorance. If a stamped image starts out at 300 dpi, 640x480, what is it scaled down to? Will it still have the same size in memory as the original image?
For clarification, MapTool loads the images in their "native" resolution. That is, if the image is 640x480, the image in memory is 640x480. Java2D is then able to scale the image as it draws it to whatever size you want. And it does it really fast because it can use your gpu to do it :)

The nice thing about stamps is that no matter how many times you use it, it doesn't take any extra memory more than the first one.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

So what is the native dpi/resolution of stamps going to be? (Those terms are sooo imprecise when talking about these things.)

I guess what I am saying is, if I have a 5' square table, for convenvience sake, and it is 200px/5ft (a Dundjinni object). When I load it into MapTool as a stamp will it show up on the map as a 25' table (200/40 x 5') or what?

Will MapTool scale it to fit some predetermined size and if so what will it be?

The info is probably somewhere but when MapTool is set at a view of 1:1 does it mean that 40px = 5 feet?

trevor

Post by trevor »

Phergus wrote:So what is the native dpi/resolution of stamps going to be? (Those terms are sooo imprecise when talking about these things.)

I guess what I am saying is, if I have a 5' square table, for convenvience sake, and it is 200px/5ft (a Dundjinni object). When I load it into MapTool as a stamp will it show up on the map as a 25' table (200/40 x 5') or what?

Will MapTool scale it to fit some predetermined size and if so what will it be?

The info is probably somewhere but when MapTool is set at a view of 1:1 does it mean that 40px = 5 feet?
To be precise, there isn't any concept of px per feet, there is just what I call "native" or "natural" pixel size. That is, if your map is 1000 x 1000 and you have 200x200 cells (this is very large is MapTool terms), and if you have a chair that is 200x200 pixels, then the chair will fill exactly one cell, regardless of zoom.

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

DJ maps are primarily intended to be printed, I think that's the reason for the higher density and scale of those objects in general.

the question is, do we want maximum compatibility with actual mapping programs?
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

trevor

Post by trevor »

Steel Rat wrote:DJ maps are primarily intended to be printed, I think that's the reason for the higher density and scale of those objects in general.

the question is, do we want maximum compatibility with actual mapping programs?
The easier the experience the better :) The only thing to watch out for is memory.

Return to “Complete Maps”