TokenTool Overlay

If you have searched the other User Creations subforums and an answer to your question has not been found, please post here!

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

neofax
Great Wyrm

TokenTool Overlay

Post by neofax »

Can someone take this imageand make a TokenTool Overlay for me? I have tried multiple times using GIMP and the tutorial in the TokenTool forum, but for some reason GIMP 2.8 will not just select the blue and white border and wants to select the Magenta as well.
Time-Zone information UTC -5

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: TokenTool Overlay

Post by aliasmask »

Do you mean like this? If so, personally I would go with a higher pixel count image. One thing I do when using tokentool, is have my nice high res border with no magenta and have a separate magenta only template to crop images. So, I crop first then use nice borders.
Attachments
token tool template.png
token tool template.png (15.16 KiB) Viewed 3107 times

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

Like this?
hf_bennies-products.png
hf_bennies-products.png (5.13 KiB) Viewed 3106 times

EDIT: because you ninja'd me I'll provide a 500px version too.
@neofax do you want the inner blue ring like aliasmask did or not?
You want a blue outer line or not? Or yes but thinner? Ah .. i just make two versions for start :-D
See here
imagesInside
benny-token.png
benny-token.png (28.85 KiB) Viewed 3105 times
benny-token2.png
benny-token2.png (33.41 KiB) Viewed 3105 times

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

CoveredInFish wrote:Like this?
hf_bennies-products.png

EDIT: because you ninja'd me I'll provide a 500px version too.
@neofax do you want the inner blue ring like aliasmask did or not?
You want a blue outer line or not? Or yes but thinner? Ah .. i just make two versions for start :-D
See here
imagesInside
benny-token.png
benny-token2.png
Ooo... perdy. Personally, I use PSP to make tokens because I've noticed when using TokenTool that I get random white dots where the contrast is high. Gimp would be good too if I knew how to sufficiently use it, but I don't need to, so I don't.

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

Thanks both of you! I wanted to have the blue border inside. Now, did you use GIMP to do that? If so, how did you unselect the magenta? I can't select just the blue and white using the magic wand or the select by color.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Question: Were you intentionally going for the poker chip look?

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

neofax wrote:Thanks both of you! I wanted to have the blue border inside. Now, did you use GIMP to do that? If so, how did you unselect the magenta? I can't select just the blue and white using the magic wand or the select by color.
I am not quite sure what you are asking, but for me, I use Layer Masks within GIMP all the time to selectively how/hide certain parts of the image vs using the eraser tool. My personal mantra is never destroy what you can keep unless there is no other way to do what you need to do.

So, with that specific image since it's "round", I would use the ellipse tool to create my first channel/layer mask of he outer "edge", using the absolute pixel positioning to ensure it's exactly even on all sides. Once you have your first channel for the outer edge, a simple "shrink selection" will get you to your inner circle. Make another channel.

Personally, I would bring the original image into GIMP and add layers on top of it to use as a "trace" source and then once completed I would just hide/delete the original image's layer.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

I'm afraid I'm a PS guy. No GIMP experience, sorry.

But I used a circular selection tool to cut the token from the background.

The larger resolution I created by hand.

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

Yes, in Savage Worlds they use Poker chips as Bennies(think Hero Points or Action Points but tangible) and that is the Hellfrost setting chip style.
@JFrazierJr: I was following the tutorials in the TokenTool subforum and it does what you say but it doesn't make layers for each step. The problem is once I add the third circle/ellipse with the inner white I can no longer select the blue and white.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

The way I do it, is trim the image, drag to folder, then drag that back to token tool and use the border.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

neofax wrote:Yes, in Savage Worlds they use Poker chips as Bennies(think Hero Points or Action Points but tangible) and that is the Hellfrost setting chip style.
@JFrazierJr: I was following the tutorials in the TokenTool subforum and it does what you say but it doesn't make layers for each step. The problem is once I add the third circle/ellipse with the inner white I can no longer select the blue and white.
Well.. I have never made overlays for TT, but the same concepts apply to any original art via PS/GIMP. Perhaps you can post up your xcf file to dropbox or someplace like that and let me know what part your having trouble with. Getting the circle ring things going is a bit of work but not that hard over all. I still have not quite figured out the best way to get a good look for the outer white bands, "especially" since they are not all 100% equidistant(at least in CiF's example) Of course, if you are ok with them being exactly the same spacing all the way around, then 360/8 = 45 degrees and it's easy peasy...

Let me know and I can help you more on this as time permits...I tend to use a new layer for everything and use layer masks. To me, it's an aberation to make a two color gradient with the gradient tool in GIMP, it's FAR superior to put two colors on separate layers and use a layer mask to do the gradient... then the colors can be swapped independently and yet the the gradient shapes always maintained exactly as you original set it since it's done via the layer mask. A bit extra work up front, but far more flexibility long term..
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

jfrazierjr wrote:they are not all 100% equidistant(at least in CiF's example)
I guess - when its a poker chip style - they could/should be equidistant. I traced the posted original by hand, so there might be inaccuracies.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

neofax wrote:Yes, in Savage Worlds they use Poker chips as Bennies(think Hero Points or Action Points but tangible) and that is the Hellfrost setting chip style.
If you want to view my attempt, here is the GIMP image. Note that I have several Channels that I used to help make consistent selections in a reproducable way. Also, since I used layer masks to construct the chip itself, you could EASILY change the either the base color or the other color(the white "spokes") without having to go through the who process again... BTW, did I mention that I LOVE layer masks? :mrgreen:
Mine...
PokerChip.png
PokerChip.png (96.19 KiB) Viewed 3062 times
Last edited by jfrazierjr on Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

CoveredInFish wrote:
jfrazierjr wrote:they are not all 100% equidistant(at least in CiF's example)
I guess - when its a poker chip style - they could/should be equidistant. I traced the posted original by hand, so there might be inaccuracies.
They don't have to be equal... Personally, I like the one you did because of the slight offset. I just did not spend the time to figure out the angles to make it work that way.

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

@JFrazierJr: Hereis the link for the overlay I was trying to do in GIMP>

Return to “Requests for HELLLLP!”