I'm completely lost using framworks.

If you have searched the other User Creations subforums and an answer to your question has not been found, please post here!

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

bobifle
Giant

I'm completely lost using framworks.

Post by bobifle »

Hello,

I can't seem to understand how all this is supposed to work.
I'm currently using the DnD 5e framework june 2017 (features among other stuff, BoT, libSpell).

I started to do very simple things like:

Add a cantrip : "mage armor" to a NPC token.

And here are the steps I'm doing:

1/ inspect the mage armor macro for libSpell. Try to identify the json input parameters.
2/ create a macro on the token and write something like:

Code: Select all

[h:jData = json.set("", "Flavor","nice text", "ParentToken",currentToken())]
[macro("Mage Armor (1)@Lib:Spellbook (NPCs=") : jData]
3/ There's a lot of try and errors, but I can make it work. It usually pop up a dialog asking for more parameters, I then have to search for these parameters in the libSpell macro to try to hardcode them.

4/ When I want to reuse what I've done, I can't to drag and drop macro from one token to another, I have to drag on campaign macro, then drag from the campaign to the other token, then erase the macro in the campaign.

As anyone any tip on how to work effectively with macros buttons ?

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: I'm completely lost using framworks.

Post by wolph42 »

4/ When I want to reuse what I've done, I can't to drag and drop macro from one token to another, I have to drag on campaign macro, then drag from the campaign to the other token, then erase the macro in the campaign.
that is weird. Could you share the campaign file? What version are you using?

bobifle
Giant

Post by bobifle »

it just that when a token has too many macros, the second selected token does not appear on screen. I can scroll down to see the token 2 but not while I'm dragging a macro button.

bobifle
Giant

Post by bobifle »

here it is (no need to praise my paint skill)

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Amfr5xYDSzo2hw1EkDbfXxdQ9Lsj

the campaign file, should you need it:

The Wizard token is in the library map, and I"m using the PC token from the map ravine01:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Amfr5xYDSzo2hnvMIQfP30fbTNl2

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I think I understand. When you select 2 tokens the token macros appear in the Select frame. So, if you want to move a macro from one of the selected tokens to the other via drag-n-drop you have to able to see the macro on token A and the place you want to drop it on token B. With a ton of macros or a small frame this isn't possible (ie the frame doesn't scroll when dragging).

Dragging it to another location then deleting it seems to be the best way to handle that without additional macroscript. My RPedit can also do this. You edit token A (a new frame opens) and you edit token B (a different frame opens) you then select the macros you want to copy from Token A and hit "Load". Copy the text and paste in Token B frame and click "Save".

bobifle
Giant

Post by bobifle »

Ok I see. I would also add that if the macro is on a token in another map, you have to copy the token move to the map paste it and do the drag and drop and delete the moved token.

It's a lot of spurious operations to just copy a button.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Multiple ways to do this:

1) Use Selection and Impersonate windows. Select Token A, Impersonate Token B. Drag macros from window to window.
2) Use Campaign Macro window as storing place for macros you want to move to another token.
3) Right Click macro in Token A, export (save macro), right click on token macro area of Token B and import.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

bobifle
Giant

Post by bobifle »

Thank all for the insights.

I think I'll have to call python to the rescue, too much repetition for me.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Normally, to avoid doing that you just use the Campaign Window instead of putting the macros on the tokens. Also, too many macros on a token can cause a bit of lag. You can also have 1 macro that runs a list of macros. A fancy way of doing it is with wolph42's macro buttons. It creates a frame with all the macro you want to run. There are many ways to handle this outside of copy/paste, but nothing inherent to MT.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Honestly, once you create a character sheet, you'll stop putting macros on tokens.

I now put one macro on new PC tokens and it launches their character sheet.

Everything else is a macroLink to lib tokens activated from the Character Sheet.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

bobifle
Giant

Post by bobifle »

I though that was the purpose of the framework, it contains libs, and non useable tokens that call every single macro from the lib.

For instance in the Dnd 5e framework, there's a spellbook lib, containing all the spells lib code (the functions).
And there's a big Wizard token, containing all the possible calls to the lib functions related to wizards.

So if I want to create a monster which can cast wizard spells, I simply drag from the wizard token, the spell I'm interested in. Because I want to copy the call to the function not the function itself. Problem is there's a lot of wizard spells and I run into the issue I described above.

bobifle
Giant

Post by bobifle »

Full Bleed wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 8:10 am
Everything else is a macroLink to lib tokens activated from the Character Sheet.
Didn't think of that, that's fancy.

However I really like the selection windows with all the buttons, because it instantly give me what I can do with the monster.
When I DM a switch from one monster to another, I try to put multiple types to keep things interesting but there's no way I can remember every monster abilities.

So I really like the instant insights the selection window provide.

Here's a screen shot:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Amfr5xYDSzo2hw-56HydntyM35MI

But your solution is really elegant. I may end up doing this, but it's for now extra work to put everything in the sheet. I see how my current solution is doing before changing everything.

Return to “Requests for HELLLLP!”