Block Edit on Token Menu for players

If you have searched the other User Creations subforums and an answer to your question has not been found, please post here!

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

TiranoJuan
Kobold

Block Edit on Token Menu for players

Post by TiranoJuan »

I have the following problem, if I create tokens for my players and I put some characteristics in their properties. When I give players permission for move, they can access to edit their properties.
Can I prevent players from accessing the properties of their token?

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: Block Edit on Token Menu for players

Post by Full Bleed »

TiranoJuan wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:57 pm
I have the following problem, if I create tokens for my players and I put some characteristics in their properties. When I give players permission for move, they can access to edit their properties.
If you can't trust your players, one way is to use hidden properties.

You can use the Wiki: setProperty() and Wiki: getProperty() functions to set and retrieve properties that you have not "declared" in the token type. The property will not be visible to the player, so they won't be able to edit it.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

bobifle
Giant

Post by bobifle »

If you can't trust your players
then you have way more serious issues than preventing them to edit their properties :mrgreen:

By they way you could also keep a copy of the token you created for them, and if you have a doubt, compare their token with the copy,

TiranoJuan
Kobold

Post by TiranoJuan »

Full Bleed wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:46 pm

You can use the Wiki: setProperty() and Wiki: getProperty() functions to set and retrieve properties that you have not "declared" in the token type. The property will not be visible to the player, so they won't be able to edit it.
I will study that idea, thanks!
Full Bleed wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:46 pm
TiranoJuan wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:57 pm

jajaja Yes, is sad, but my campaigns are usually very difficult, and they can be tempted.

Thank you both for the quick response

:D

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

It's not always about trust as in will they cheat.

A lot of my token properties are derived from other properties or are updated as events transpire. A player may think there is an issue with a property and go to change it not realizing how it got changed in the first place.

There is also the issue of a base characteristic possibly having 3 or more properties that combine together and it isn't always obvious which property is for which purpose.

Then there is the fact that having the Edit Token dialog open will overwrite any properties that were updated via a macro when the dialog is closed. Players that open the Edit Token dialog during a combat will likely screw things up without meaning to.

Most of the right-click menu on tokens should have server startup options to disable them on player clients.

bobifle
Giant

Post by bobifle »

Makes sense.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Phergus wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:04 pm
It's not always about trust as in will they cheat.
"Cheating" may be a strong word... but for all the reasons you mention below, and more, players do need to understand that they have a role to play in the game that demands some discipline on their part. If you've got players that aren't on board with that... you can hide the properties... but they're probably still going to find ways to screw things up if they "tinker."
Then there is the fact that having the Edit Token dialog open will overwrite any properties that were updated via a macro when the dialog is closed. Players that open the Edit Token dialog during a combat will likely screw things up without meaning to.
This sort of thing is why I've been gradually transitioning data off the player token to a "Personal" lib token for players. It solves the problem of controlling player token access *and* data syncing issues.

You can put a property on the player's token called "Library" set with the name of the Lib token that the token is keyed to. Then get and set everything through the Lib token.

I wish I'd done this when I first started building my framework...

You could also choose to pull data off a table keyed to a token in much the same way.

Most of the right-click menu on tokens should have server startup options to disable them on player clients.
I agree. But I'd wager it's not likely to happen anytime soon... :/
Last edited by Full Bleed on Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Full Bleed wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:46 pm
This sort of thing is why I've been gradually transitioning data off the player token to a "Personal" lib token for players. It solves the problem of controlling player token access *and* data syncing issues.

You can put a property on the player's token called "Library" set with the name of the Lib token that the token is keyed to. Then get and set everything through the Lib token.
That's quite a clever idea but revamping an existing framework to use it would be a daunting task.

I should pick one of the other game systems we have played in the past and are likely to do again in the future and build something up from scratch with that idea.

Return to “Requests for HELLLLP!”