Random dungeon generator using torstan's art

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

galneweinhaw
Dragon

Re: Random dungeon generator using torstan's art

Post by galneweinhaw »

Jector wrote:Yah, I caught that. Both computers were using FF. Same result.
Hmm.... this is the specific CSS that would be the incompatability: moz-transform

They say:
Introduced in Gecko 1.9.1
Applies to Firefox 3.5, SeaMonkey 2, and Thunderbird 3 and later
Are you using FF 3.5+? If not, I have no clue what the prob could be!

(Maybe try going to that link above and see if the red box is rotated in the example at mozilla site)
galneweinhaw = galileo newton einstein hawking

Jshock
Dragon

Post by Jshock »

Oddly, I'm using Chrome and the Mozilla examples you pointed at work... but your generator gives the same problem as Jector.

galneweinhaw
Dragon

Post by galneweinhaw »

Jshock wrote:Oddly, I'm using Chrome and the Mozilla examples you pointed at work... but your generator gives the same problem as Jector.
:( All I can say is try it with Firefox 3.5+ :oops:

TheRooster
Cave Troll

Post by TheRooster »

Is there a reason why your random room function won't put rooms in the bottom 20' or the right-most 20'?

For example, make your room size min 1 and max 1. Enter a high number for the number of rooms (i.e. 50) Set the sparsity to 0% then generate the dungeon. All the rooms are in the upper left corner.

I would also like to make a request. I prefer dungeons with very few "interior walls". I like earth walls. Would it be possible to add a toggle to limit interior walls to 10' long and only when there is a door involved? So with Torstan's tiles you would have a 5' long wall and a door, or possibly even a double door and no wall. This would be how rooms are separated from hallways. Everything else would have at least 5' of earth surrounding.
TheRooster

galneweinhaw
Dragon

Post by galneweinhaw »

TheRooster wrote:Is there a reason why your random room function won't put rooms in the bottom 20' or the right-most 20'?

For example, make your room size min 1 and max 1. Enter a high number for the number of rooms (i.e. 50) Set the sparsity to 0% then generate the dungeon. All the rooms are in the upper left corner.
Thanks for testing. I see what you mean... will look into it!
TheRooster wrote:I would also like to make a request. I prefer dungeons with very few "interior walls". I like earth walls. Would it be possible to add a toggle to limit interior walls to 10' long and only when there is a door involved? So with Torstan's tiles you would have a 5' long wall and a door, or possibly even a double door and no wall. This would be how rooms are separated from hallways. Everything else would have at least 5' of earth surrounding.
Interesting Idea.... I'll add it to the list =D I would like to eventually have severaloptions similar to this, 5ft corridors (vice 10ft) would be another one.

Jector
Great Wyrm

Post by Jector »

Well, after a cold restart it seems to work fine. I keep FF current but I'm betting the computer I used at work was badly out of date.

That's definitely really sweet! Any way to be able to drop in your own images for random generation?
I cast firecube! ~4E

galneweinhaw
Dragon

Post by galneweinhaw »

Jector wrote:That's definitely really sweet! Any way to be able to drop in your own images for random generation?
Fascinating Idea! Can you elaborate?

Jector
Great Wyrm

Post by Jector »

I'm not sure how it would best be worked. Just some way to upload or have the page use files on your computer. They'd have to be assigned by their use, ie: floor tiles, wall tiles, door tiles. I'd imagine the wall and door tiles would need to have a specified orientation to work properly.

Another possibility is to have a village setting that would "orphan" room sets, essentially grouping rooms off to themselves. Have a way to pick a grass or dirt background instead of black and voila; instant village.
I cast firecube! ~4E

CyrusStonecypher
Giant

Post by CyrusStonecypher »

I can consistently choke your generator. :wink: The script stops responding and Firefox locks up.

Dungeon Width 99 in 10ft increments
Dungeon Height 99 10ft increments
Corridor Straightness 0% (0% = super bendy, 100% = super straight)
Dungeon Sparsity 0% (0% = all dungeon and no rock filler, 100% = all rock, no dungeon... ie a blank screen and probably some erros =P)
Dead end removal 0% (0% = many dead ends, 100% = all dead ends are re-connected)
Room size range min: 1 max: 5 in 10ft increments.
Max # of Rooms 99 (Actual number of rooms will depend on the room and dungeon size)

You may have to post a disclaimer that if absurd parameters are set absurd results may be given. :)

This is pretty cool. The maps it generated remind me of Diablo II. It will be very cool when these can be imported to MapTool.

Are you following this thread by chance?
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11676

galneweinhaw
Dragon

Post by galneweinhaw »

CyrusStonecypher wrote: ...
Dungeon Width 99 in 10ft increments
Dungeon Height 99 10ft increments
You may have to post a disclaimer that if absurd parameters are set absurd results may be given. :)
I get this too with 99. And I'm not sure why. I'll do some more checking. I know in the 50's works. In theory, it should be able to an arbitrarily large dungeon (with of course a time to correspond to that =).
CyrusStonecypher wrote:Are you following this thread by chance?
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11676
No I haven't... thanks for the link!

CyrusStonecypher
Giant

Post by CyrusStonecypher »

I failed at linkage. It points to the correct thread but not the intended post. On page 4 Azhrei has download info for a test version of maptool that allows individual maps from a campaign file to be exported and imported. If you can get your web page to save the generated map in the same format as Azhrei's export/import function that would be a big helping of groovy, covered in awesome sauce!

galneweinhaw
Dragon

Post by galneweinhaw »

CyrusStonecypher wrote:I failed at linkage. It points to the correct thread but not the intended post. On page 4 Azhrei has download info for a test version of maptool that allows individual maps from a campaign file to be exported and imported. If you can get your web page to save the generated map in the same format as Azhrei's export/import function that would be a big helping of groovy, covered in awesome sauce!
Thanks again! well, that would probably be easier then porting it directly into maptool.. I'll take a look and start coding in the VBL!

As for the hanging up on large number of rooms, I did some tests, and it looks like the algorithm is O(n^2) for room placement.... not too efficient.

And with 99x99 size dungeon and 99 rooms (and the other parameters as you've set), it should take about 62 minutes....lol.

If you do 99x99 dungeon with no rooms it's about 15 seconds.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

galneweinhaw wrote:Thanks again! well, that would probably be easier then porting it directly into maptool..
The RPMAP format is quite involved. It includes all four layers (Token, Hidden, etc), all of the VBL, Java "Area" objects which define where the FoW has been exposed, and a huge number of other fairly complex components. Some of them you can ignore (such as exposed FoW) but it will still be rather sophisticated to generate that format. And I can guarantee it will change for 1.4.

galneweinhaw
Dragon

Post by galneweinhaw »

Azhrei wrote: And I can guarantee it will change for 1.4.
I'll wait for 1.4 to decide which direction to take. I'm not opposed to involved/sophisticated formats =)

Sir Flak
Dragon

Post by Sir Flak »

I love the doors. I'd like my maptools to do that. Click on a door it swings in the correct direction and also its vbl disappears. That would be awesome.

Return to “User Creations”