Shackled City

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

Glock-9mm wrote:
Blakey wrote:
Steel Rat wrote:Be careful here. Distributing anything you didn't create is copyright violation unless you have permission. I'm a game publisher and would not want my published maps distributed, text or not.
Very fair point, SR. Aren't the maps for SC freely available on the net already though?
Blake, I leave it up to you to seek permission on MTing them for Redistribution.

I'm still MTing them anyway. lol, I can use them for when I run Shackeled City.

G-9mm
I haven't done anything about permissions, but was wondering how far you have got with this Glock? There are loads of us out here who have SC and are using MapTool. Surely a collaborative effort would be a good idea here? I am sure we can use a password system to work out proof that we own the product (e.g. what is the forth word in the send paragraph on page 92? type questions to confirm you have the book).

Blakey

P.S. I would also point out I do not own this product but my friend who is due to DM next does and I'm trying to make it easy for him to convert from pen and paper to MapTools.
The guy in the green hat.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Well, the "word on page 92" system is probably fine, but remember that some people might be planning to play SC from the published magazine pages and not from the campaign compendium (I plan to use the magazine issues and not re-spend money for the complete book).

Other than that, game on! ;)

dmmelkor
Giant

Post by dmmelkor »

I just started DM'ing this campaign and very much love to have some maps for MT (or Dundjinni). Is there a way to get a copy?

Email?

I have also checked Rpgenius and i have the HC book. But maybe someone made some fine own creations?

Dmmelkor

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

Bump. Another request for MT versions of the maps. Someone out there must have done this and be prepared to share?

Again, this is for my pal who has bought the hardcopy book and just wants the maps for use with MapTool.

Cheers
Blakey

Blakey
Dragon

Bump (again)

Post by Blakey »

I'm now looking to DM this myself, my friend having not got off his backside.

So has anyone done SC in MT yet?

Cheers
Blakey

P.S. Been away a while but if this comes off will be back on here again now some more...

Zandari
Cave Troll

Post by Zandari »

I have been pulling the maps down from rpgenius as I get to them and just using them as backgrounds in MT. It works quite well, but I haven't gotten to the point where I am using topography, just the fog of war. The scans on that page are a little wonky, so you have to resize the grid, and it won't quite line up because there is a bit of skew, but it still works nicely. I project the whole thing on the wall, and the players just tell me where they want to go (not playing over network). I love it and my players love it. It beats the stew out of playing with miniatures, especially since my wife insists on maintaining a house full of cats.

While I am at it, I want to make an impassioned plea for projector mode to be implemented. O' how 'twill save us time and effort!

I have used the Gimp to straighten and resize maps with no problem, and am currently about to start Chapter 3. I just resized and un-crookedized the maps for both the Lucky Monkey and the underground temple, so if you will contact me, I might be willing to, uh, share the wealth.

On the other hand, one thing I haven't figured out how to do with the Gimp (because I am quite the noob) is to take two pictures and join them together. This is a problem because the map for the temple is in two parts, at slightly different scale. I have figured out how to resize them so they match, but not how to glue them together into one image.

Can anyone explain this to me in idiot's terms?

Zandari at earthlink dot net

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Open the first map in Gimp and then select Image/Canvas Size.

On the Set Image Canvas Size dialog, increase the width or height as appropriate for adding the second map. A little extra won't hurt. You'll probably want to unlink width/height before you make the adjustment.

Use that rectangle area in the center of the dialog to position the current map if necessary.

Then click on Resize.

Open up second map, and do Ctrl-A to Select All. Ctrl-C to Copy.

Click on your first map to make it the active window and hit Ctrl-V to paste. Position the pasted second map where you want it. Once it is positioned correctly, click outside of the 2nd map area to anchor it. While positioning you can use the cursor keys for fine adjustment.

mrobviousjosh
Dragon

Post by mrobviousjosh »

Steel Rat wrote:No idea about SC. Though if they are it doesn't mean they were made available legally. Just because someone sticks them on a website doesn't mean they had permission.
For once, Steel Rat and I agree about a copyright issue, lol. The reason things like the Map Folio products are sold is to make money, plain and simple. Unlike the maps WOTC places on their gallery for free distribution, for personal use, I haven't been able to locate the maps for Shackled City on their website. :( Steel Rat and I would argue "personal use" for distribution purposes, but, to save the boards from another heated debate (sorry guys, I know how much people enjoy the boards flaring up from time to time), I'll just say it's your call. Since Trevor has, once again, encouraged hosting of this endeavor though on the MT site, I think the decision is clear- if there's heat for a copyright violation, Trevor will deal with it (since it's his site and he will have full control over what's on his site). Honestly though, before any legal actions are taken, he'll likely receive a nice letter/e-mail from the original copyright holder asking him to cease and desist. Filing a suit, just to dismiss it later after the copyright violator has removed the questionable material, is much more costly than a simple request from the original copyright holder and will likely not happen (it's not practical from a business perspective). In short, I'm looking forward to your post. :D

Zandari
Cave Troll

Post by Zandari »

Well, that was awesomely helpful, and worked like a charm, Phergus, thank you immensely.

I think what was baffling me was I had no idea how to change the size of the canvas, or even that such a thing was possible. So whenever I tried to cut/paste, the second half of my map was "out of bounds" so to speak.

That just goes to show you what a lifetime spent not manipulating images will get you.

In any case, thanks, and I now have a 80 pixel/square image of the Kopru Ruins from Chapter 3 of SCAP, in case anyone needs to borrow it.

Zandari

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Glad I was able to help. Gimp is a wonderful tool.

Of course you actually could have done it in MSPaint as well but that's a tutorial for another day. :wink:

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

Zandari - request for maps sent to your email address today...

Cheers
Blakey

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

Well I have been running SCAP for three sessions now. For those that know it the party are now in the Malachite Fortress and are searching their way through that.

I've taken the maps I found on RPGenius.com (if you are running SCAP you simply MUST go there!) and then simply GIMPed them to have nice clean square sizes and added FoW to them.

I'm not bothering with the amazing individual light sources and tokens and moving loads of individual tokens around approach that I did with my last campaign. That certainly works incredibly well, but it slows everything down loads for face to face gaming with a projector. I'm merely unveiling rooms or bits of rooms on the fly as the party explore and letting them use minis as usual. This is very quick and with the quality maps available in a graphical feast.

Anyway, the point of this post is actually to ask if anyone has either of the following:

1. The creatures from SCAP entered into InitTool format?
2. A way to convert DMGenie creatures into InitTool format?

I've been using DMGenie but to be honest its not as good at tracking initiatives as InitTool but some kind soul from DMGenie world entered all the creatures from the first three chapters into DMGenie and has shared them with me so I'd like to be able to either make use of his help or someone elses....

Cheers gang
Blakey

Richard Weimer
Cave Troll

Post by Richard Weimer »

Blakey,

There was a thread here that had shown a DM Genie script which would let you export DM Genie character groups into a .xml file which would import into InitTools. See

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... ie&start=0

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

Richard Weimer wrote:Blakey,

There was a thread here that had shown a DM Genie script which would let you export DM Genie character groups into a .xml file which would import into InitTools. See

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... ie&start=0
Cheers Richard, I'll take a peek.

Are you sticking with DMGenie then? Because I'm doing some trawling and trying to get InitTool stats for the baddies in SCAP and would of course be happy to share them with you if I get hold of them seeing as you kindly gave me all your DMGenie work.

Anyone already done this work and willing to share?

Blakey
Dragon

Init Tool NPCs for Chapters One through Three

Post by Blakey »

Hey,

I have entered all the NPCs and monsters from Chapters 1-3 of SCAP into Init Tool format. I've zipped them up and put them on my web site here: SCAP.zip (225kb).

This file is designed for v1.0b24 of Init Tool.

If you use it let me know by posting here. And if you want to help out with later chapters, also post here!

Cheers
Blakey

Return to “User Creations”