Curse of the Crimson Throne - EOA

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

jstgtpaid
Giant

Curse of the Crimson Throne - EOA

Post by jstgtpaid »

I am working on converting the Pathfinder adventure Curse of the Crimson Throne to 4e. Naturally I want to play this using Maptools. I am really having fun making the encounter maps, so I thought I would share them here... Here are the first potential encounter maps in the first adventure, Edge of Anarchy... I have the full size images in my gallery.

3 Lancet Street

3 Lancet Street (upper floor)

Old Fishery (nasty place)

Old Fisher (lower floor)

Sepp
Dragon

Post by Sepp »

Those are nice.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

I appreciate you creating these maps and making them available. I would like to run that adventure path at some point...

How are you building the maps? Is each one its own campaign? If not, how are you doing objects that PCs can interact with, ie. chairs, tables, beds, etc?

plothos
Great Wyrm

Post by plothos »

Nice job.
Any chance you could point me to where you got that boat image?

jstgtpaid
Giant

Post by jstgtpaid »

Azhrei wrote:I appreciate you creating these maps and making them available. I would like to run that adventure path at some point...

How are you building the maps? Is each one its own campaign? If not, how are you doing objects that PCs can interact with, ie. chairs, tables, beds, etc?
I am building the maps 100% in Maptools. I have a huge repository of objects that are available at various places and I am just using the drawing tools and objects that are available.

If an object can be manipulated by players, I have put it in the object layers. Some 'objects' that I bring in like plants, or columns etc that are not movable go in the background layer.

I am not done with this adventure path yet. I plan to have one campaign per module. So Edge of Anarchy will be one campaign, then seven days from the grave will be the next campaign etc.

Obviously I don't plan on mapping this whole city. I plan to map the main encounters, a tavern or two, some stores, and the random encounters. Currently I am putting one encounter per map, so each of the images above are a separate map. I will put out the campaign file later. RIght now, I just have the exported images...

I will try to find where that ship image came from, then I will post that link.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

That sounds like a great plan re: maps and campaigns. Thanks again. :)

Mythknight
Kobold

Post by Mythknight »

I can understand creating a few custom maps that are not included in the module but why are you recreating the entire Fishery map? I just copied the map out of the module then uploaded it into maptools. I was able to get the grid to almost perfectly match as well.

On a side note I am running this module in the Pathfinder ruleset (as I greatly prefer this to the 4E crap they call rules) in two different game (my home one and a PbP).[/img]

jstgtpaid
Giant

Post by jstgtpaid »

Mythknight wrote:I can understand creating a few custom maps that are not included in the module but why are you recreating the entire Fishery map? I just copied the map out of the module then uploaded it into maptools. I was able to get the grid to almost perfectly match as well.

On a side note I am running this module in the Pathfinder ruleset (as I greatly prefer this to the 4E crap they call rules) in two different game (my home one and a PbP).[/img]
In all honesty, the main reason why I would recreate them is because I enjoy making the maps so much. It also gives me the added benefit of having the objects that users can interact with. But, the main reason is the joy of creating the maps.

I have read alpha 1 and 2 of the Pathfinder ruleset and I think they are doing a fantastic job. I am a huge fan of Paizo. I think they are the 'gamers company'. That said, I currently enjoy playing 4e, but I hope to play some Pathfinder too (maybe when I get a copy of the beta ruleset).
When the boogeyman goes to bed everynight, he checks his closet for Chuck Norris.

Mythknight
Kobold

Post by Mythknight »

jstgtpaid wrote:
Mythknight wrote:I can understand creating a few custom maps that are not included in the module but why are you recreating the entire Fishery map? I just copied the map out of the module then uploaded it into maptools. I was able to get the grid to almost perfectly match as well.

In all honesty, the main reason why I would recreate them is because I enjoy making the maps so much. It also gives me the added benefit of having the objects that users can interact with. But, the main reason is the joy of creating the maps.

I have read alpha 1 and 2 of the Pathfinder ruleset and I think they are doing a fantastic job. I am a huge fan of Paizo. I think they are the 'gamers company'. That said, I currently enjoy playing 4e, but I hope to play some Pathfinder too (maybe when I get a copy of the beta ruleset).
Why do you not have the Beta rules yet? Here is the link http://paizo.com/store/paizo/pathfinder ... 48btpy84o0

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

jstgtpaid wrote:I am building the maps 100% in Maptools. I have a huge repository of objects that are available at various places and I am just using the drawing tools and objects that are available.
These are some of the best 100% in-maptools maps I've seen yet.

How big are these campaign files?

Do you have somewhere that you can host them?

jstgtpaid
Giant

Post by jstgtpaid »

Mythknight wrote:
Why do you not have the Beta rules yet? Here is the link http://paizo.com/store/paizo/pathfinder ... 48btpy84o0
Heh, cool! You know.. I guess it has been a while since I looked at it... I seem to recall now they were going to release the print version at Gen Con... For some reason it didn't click... LOL... Thanks for the link!

Btw have you checked out http://www.35privatesanctuary.com ? They are 3.5 only and have a great podcast too...
When the boogeyman goes to bed everynight, he checks his closet for Chuck Norris.

jstgtpaid
Giant

Post by jstgtpaid »

Full Bleed wrote:
jstgtpaid wrote:I am building the maps 100% in Maptools. I have a huge repository of objects that are available at various places and I am just using the drawing tools and objects that are available.
These are some of the best 100% in-maptools maps I've seen yet.

How big are these campaign files?

Do you have somewhere that you can host them?
I have no idea how big the files are to be honest... I will upload the campaign files to my gallery soon. I am not done with it yet, but I guess I will just keep it updated in case someone wants to use the maps. I don't have any tokens on the map because I was thinking that if I made it token free then non 4e players could use it if they wanted too...

I will post the link to my gallery once I get it uploaded...

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

jstgtpaid wrote:I have no idea how big the files are to be honest... I will upload the campaign files to my gallery soon. I am not done with it yet, but I guess I will just keep it updated in case someone wants to use the maps. I don't have any tokens on the map because I was thinking that if I made it token free then non 4e players could use it if they wanted too...

I will post the link to my gallery once I get it uploaded...
I think the gallery has a 2 meg limit... and with all of the objects you have on those maps, I'm fairly certain you're going to be over the limit.

jstgtpaid
Giant

Post by jstgtpaid »

Yes. I checked and it is 16megs... I will try to decrease the size by reviewing the objects and the such, but it will never get down to 2mg. I will host it else where then... I will post a note when I get that straightened out...

Return to “User Creations”