Token states [AidyBaby] Tutorial

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

AidyBaby
Dragon

Token states [AidyBaby] Tutorial

Post by AidyBaby »

Here’s a short Photoshop tutorial that (hopefully) explains how I made my token state icons. Some minor knowledge of Photoshop would be useful but not strictly necessary.

Create a new document. My states are 500x500px @ 72 dpi (although dpi isn’t important unless you’re printing). Choose RGB colour and a transparent background. Under edit/preferences choose under ‘Guides, Grid, Slices & Count’ a grid size of 50px with 2 subdivisions. Under the view menu choose ‘show grid’, ensure you have ‘snap to/grid’ on and turn on ‘snap’.

You should now have a blank document with a grid displayed. Press ‘d’ to reset the colours palette to the default black foreground and white background colours. Next from the tools palette choose the ‘rounded rectangle’ tool (grouped with other shape tools). In the options toolbar ensure that the following are selected:

This will create a shape layer rectangle with 50px radius filleted corners with no style and a black fill colour.

Draw a square (snap should be on) that is 400x400px centred in the window:

Now to give it it’s look with the use of layer styles:

Double-click in the layer palette in ‘Shape 1’ (the rounded rectangle layer). Don’t double-click on the name or the layer thumbnail or vector mask thumbnail, just in ‘whitespace’ to open the Layer Style dialog box. Alternatively choose the Layer/Layer style menus. Here’s where you give your token its overall shininess, colour, bevel, etc. Here’s each of the dialog windows with it’s settings to create my blank token. You can choose your own colours or alternatively ‘sample’ them from the following images:

Next you need to make a white ‘background’ to show white through the state ‘image’ once we’ve created it. Create a new layer and reposition it that it is under the shape layer ‘Shape 1’. Now make a selection of the state by ctrl-clicking in the shape layer thumbnail. This creates a marching ants selection in the shape of the rounded rectangle. Ensure you have the new raster layer selected (Layer 1), the background colour is white (press ‘d’), then press ctrl-backspace to fill the new layer with white in the shape of the state. Press ctrl-d to deselect to remove the selection marching ants.

You should now have a blank token state ready to save. Keep this file as a blank for a base to create new states. Now let’s create a state. I’m going to use a custom shape that ships with Photoshop to show how to do it. Creating your own custom shapes with the pen tool and the other shape tools or by creating a path from a selection from a cleaned up raster image is beyond the scope of the simple tutorial. I suggest you Google various the vector tutorials out there. OK here goes.

Choose the Custom Shape tool from the tools palette. In the tools option bar click the down arrow to select a custom shape (I’ll use a default one, if you can download or create your own, even better).

Then ensure you have the Shape layer selected and that you’re working ‘in’ the shape itself by clicking the vector mask thumbnail. It has a white border when selected. Then choose the subtract option from the options toolbar.

Now drag over the image to create your token. Use the snap feature if preferred or turn it off if the custom shape is irregular.

If you know about the Direct and Path Selection tools you can modify or transform the state now.

Lastly modify the layer styles to change the colours, the satin effect and colours to your hearts content. I would recommend leaving the outer glow and bevel/emboss unmodified to ensure all the states retain the same feel.

Save it. Now to alter the image size to something more friendly for maptool. Choose menu Image/Image size to make this adjustment. I resize my states to 100x100px. Make sure you choose to Scale Styles.

Save As a .png and you’re done!

Here's a link to a .psd of one of my states: http://gallery.rptools.net/d/31818-1/Dy ... a0284df8f7

Hope this is of some use. Good luck.

-- AidyBaby --

EDIT: added a zip with all states:
More States.zip
All Aidy's states and then some
(3.74 MiB) Downloaded 212 times
Last edited by wolph42 on Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added states in zip due to closing of the gallery
D&D qualities are related inversely to those of Poker... and I love both.
http://www.yorkpoker.co.uk

plothos
Great Wyrm

Re: Token states [AidyBaby] Tutorial

Post by plothos »

Thanks AidyBaby, this is very helpful.

Arael
Cave Troll

Post by Arael »

w00t

Thanks a lot AidyBaby I was waiting this tutorial for a long time...

Now I have to see how to make the same thing in GIMP hehehehe

Again... Thanks a lot

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Arael wrote:w00t

Thanks a lot AidyBaby I was waiting this tutorial for a long time...

Now I have to see how to make the same thing in GIMP hehehehe

Again... Thanks a lot
It can be done in GIMP, or at least something close to it. I'm not a GIMP expert, but there's a "Layer Effects" script-fu plugin that lets you do something close to this - it's not exact, though. I worked from the sample PSD to produce this:

It doesn't quite have the "gel" look that AidyBaby's states do, but it's passing fair. The main issue I ran into was what order the layers needed to be in for it all to work.

Ah. It takes a little fiddling with the Satin effect and such to get it looking good, but you can end up with some nice stuff:

Last edited by Rumble on Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plothos
Great Wyrm

Post by plothos »

I can't find that particular effect. Can you point me to it?

AidyBaby
Dragon

Post by AidyBaby »

@Rumble: sorry I can't give you any advice on GIMP - I have never used it. Your attempt does look quite close, however, and I'm sure with a little more work it will be a good match. Good luck!

-- AidyBaby --
D&D qualities are related inversely to those of Poker... and I love both.
http://www.yorkpoker.co.uk

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

plothos wrote:I can't find that particular effect. Can you point me to it?
If you were talking to me, you'll need to install the "Layer Effects" plugin for GIMP. They do not completely reproduce AidyBaby's steps, and Satin especially is proving tricky, but it's pretty close if you mess with it.

It seems to work better in GIMP if you cut out the state shape first from the black square, and then work with that.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

For GIMPers, I think I've got the process down to at least a repeatable sequence.

1. Download the Layer Effects plugin.
2. Create the black rounded rectangle:
a. Select a 400x400 rectangle.
b. Go to Select->Rounded Rectangle, and use a setting of 25.
3. Punch the state image out of the black rectangle (this is the last step AidyBaby illustrates, but it seems to have to happen early in the GIMP process)
4. Proceed through each different layer mode, EXCEPT SATIN. Also, ALWAYS select the black "shape" layer before starting the layer effect process!
a. Inner Shadow
b. Outer Glow
c. Inner Glow
d. Bevel and Emboss
e. Color overlay (remember, skip Satin!)
5. Now do Satin. You'll need to make sure to select a different color than what you used for the color overlay, because - at least for me - the satin pattern doesn't appear if it's the same color as the base color overlay (so if you use a straight red overlay, use a fairly dark red for the satin color). I also found that it won't appear if I use the Overlay blending mode; I need to use Multiply or Normal.

Other things I discovered: the straight line contour curve is, naturally, "Linear." The one that is a rounded uphill curve is "Gaussian," and the one with two peaks is "Ring - Double." Different contours make the satin layer look different.

Finally, if you want the highlights on the curves and such, create a new layer on top of everything, and use the selection tools and the gradient fill tool to create white-to-transparent gradient fills.

You can end up with something pretty close to AidyBaby's states (satin doesn't work quite the same between Photoshop and GIMP). Here's a random "state" (I don't know what it would be - Doughboy Rage or something):

The GIMP XCF file is available here if you want to poke at it.

AidyBaby, thank you very much for the tutorial - without it, I wouldn't have even known where to start!

plothos
Great Wyrm

Post by plothos »

I was able to get a couple less shiny versions looking okay in gimp, thanks to you both.

Still a little unclear how you get the white reflective bits. I get using a gradient, but not quite how you select the appropriate area. Is it just eyeballed?

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

I used a combination of White -> Transparent gradient fills and feathered selections (so the highlights don't have a razor-sharp edge). They are eyeballed, more or less - I don't know if Photoshop automatically does it, but GIMP doesn't put in the white 'reflections.'

For the highlight for the top edge, I selected what looked like a good portion, rounded the rectangle, and then subtracted an ellipse select from the lower portion of the rectangle (so I got a somewhat hollowed-out rectangle). Then I feathered that selection a bit, and messed around until the gradient looked right.

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

Rumble wrote:I used a combination of White -> Transparent gradient fills and feathered selections (so the highlights don't have a razor-sharp edge). They are eyeballed, more or less - I don't know if Photoshop automatically does it, but GIMP doesn't put in the white 'reflections.'

For the highlight for the top edge, I selected what looked like a good portion, rounded the rectangle, and then subtracted an ellipse select from the lower portion of the rectangle (so I got a somewhat hollowed-out rectangle). Then I feathered that selection a bit, and messed around until the gradient looked right.
You might want to try experimenting with
Plasti-Wrap or
Polsihed Plastic
plugins to see if they can give you a nice shiny effect easily.

Arael
Cave Troll

Post by Arael »

Rumble wrote:For GIMPers, I think I've got the process down to at least a repeatable sequence.

3. Punch the state image out of the black rectangle (this is the last step AidyBaby illustrates, but it seems to have to happen early in the GIMP process)
4. Proceed through each different layer mode, EXCEPT SATIN. Also, ALWAYS select the black "shape" layer before starting the layer effect process!
a. Inner Shadow
b. Outer Glow
c. Inner Glow
d. Bevel and Emboss
5. Now do Satin. You'll need to make sure to select a different color than what you used for the color overlay, because - at least for me - the satin pattern doesn't appear if it's the same color as the base color overlay (so if you use a straight red overlay, use a fairly dark red for the satin color). I also found that it won't appear if I use the Overlay blending mode; I need to use Multiply or Normal.

Other things I discovered: the straight line contour curve is, naturally, "Linear." The one that is a rounded uphill curve is "Gaussian," and the one with two peaks is "Ring - Double." Different contours make the satin layer look different.

Finally, if you want the highlights on the curves and such, create a new layer on top of everything, and use the selection tools and the gradient fill tool to create white-to-transparent gradient fills.

You can end up with something pretty close to AidyBaby's states (satin doesn't work quite the same between Photoshop and GIMP). Here's a random "state" (I don't know what it would be - Doughboy Rage or something):

AidyBaby, thank you very much for the tutorial - without it, I wouldn't have even known where to start!
Excellent explanation... I got a really good state token following this instructions

Thanks to AidyBaby and Rumble for this instructions thanks to them I'll be able to put the "Cake is a Lie" state on my games =P

Note: My first try is a little dark... I'll try to make the next one lighter

Big_Mac
Dragon

Post by Big_Mac »

Arael wrote:
Rumble wrote:For GIMPers, I think I've got the process down to at least a repeatable sequence.

a. Inner Shadow
b. Outer Glow
c. Inner Glow
d. Bevel and Emboss

Excellent explanation... I got a really good state token following this instructions

Thanks to AidyBaby and Rumble for this instructions thanks to them I'll be able to put the "Cake is a Lie" state on my games =P

Note: My first try is a little dark... I'll try to make the next one lighter
Somebody has been playing "Shift" :lol:
--
Big Mac

Arael
Cave Troll

Post by Arael »

Actually that's from portal

Big_Mac
Dragon