"Combat Manager" for 4th Edition D&D

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: "Combat Manager" for 4th Edition D&D

Post by Azhrei »

Welcome to RPTools, mithralsmith!

If your browser is changing the filename extension, you need a better browser. ;)

The campaign files are ZIP files, but they have a filename extension of .cmpgn. Regardless of what the filename is, just start MapTool and use File > Open Campaign... and select the file you downloaded. MapTool doesn't really care what you name the file -- it'll figure out that it's a campaign when you tell it to open the file as a campaign. :)

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Mithralsmith, I need to tell you that the version you're downloading, IIRC, doesn't actually work quite right (that is, it's got one big bug that makes the timing wrong). I'm going to upload a new version in about 15 minutes, so I recommend redownloading after I do that.

Anyway, once you get it running (using Azhrei's advice), to run it you need to do a couple things:

1. Set up your Character Tokens. There should be a macro to do so (Character Setup). What you do is select the token, then click that button, and follow the prompts.

2. Once you've created all the tokens involved, press F10. This brings up the manager window. You can then select all the tokens and add them to initiative, and click the link for Next Initiative.

3. When using it, you need to click the Start Turn button (the green play button) to process the stuff at the beginning of the turn, and then at the end of the turn, click the End Turn button (the red stop). To track the use of the actions and powers, just click on them.

Edit: okay, new version put up in the main thread.

PyroMancer2k
Dragon

Post by PyroMancer2k »

mithralsmith wrote:
I am new to MapTools and I aparently don't understand some aspect of how things work. The link to your .cmpgn file actually downloads a .zip file but the .zip file does not contain a .cmpgn file it has two xml files (content and properties) and an assets directory.

How do I convert those into a campaign file? How do I run your Combat Manager?

Ben

.cmpgn files actually are .zip files :). You can extract them and manual edit the details in the xml files.

It sounds like your browser though is detecting it as a zip file and changing the extension. Simply change it back to .cmpgn file and then go into Map Tools and load the campaign.

DevoDog
Dragon

Post by DevoDog »

I've made some tweaks/corrections to Rumble's Combat Manager.

Fixed: Bonus/Penalty to saving throws was not being added/subtracted

Tweaks:
- PC tokens roll their own initiative and saving throws (raw rolls)
- Clicking on Surges lets you Burn a healing surge (lowering surges by 1 but no healing). I'll actually want to add Free surge.

Additions:

MiscNotes fields display
Action Points and Magic Item Uses can be tracked
Milestones can be granted
Added a Clear All from Initiative option

Rumble,
Thanks again for all of the work that you've put into your frameworks. I think the Combat Manager will actually be better suited for my needs (I should have listened to you when you first suggested it).
Attachments
DevoDog_combatmgr_v4.cmpgn
(2.69 MiB) Downloaded 67 times

DevoDog
Dragon

Post by DevoDog »

I found another glitch in the Combat Manager. If a token has multiple Save Ends effects, they only save against one of them (there's no FOREACH loop).

The condition also remains in the ExternalTiming property (the json string isn't being removed).

I'm also trying to get the state icons to also display the name in the actual Combat Manager window.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

DevoDog wrote:I found another glitch in the Combat Manager. If a token has multiple Save Ends effects, they only save against one of them (there's no FOREACH loop).

The condition also remains in the ExternalTiming property (the json string isn't being removed).

I'm also trying to get the state icons to also display the name in the actual Combat Manager window.
For the first, it sounds like you know what to do to fix it (I haven't looked at Combat Manager in forever; I took it and built it into the framework, actually :D).

As for the state icons, it might be easier to give them a tooltip built into the HTML img tag.

DevoDog
Dragon

Post by DevoDog »

Rumble wrote:
DevoDog wrote:I found another glitch in the Combat Manager. If a token has multiple Save Ends effects, they only save against one of them (there's no FOREACH loop).

For the first, it sounds like you know what to do to fix it (I haven't looked at Combat Manager in forever; I took it and built it into the framework, actually :D).

As for the state icons, it might be easier to give them a tooltip built into the HTML img tag.
Yeah....I'll be spending the time to fix it. I wanted to post on the off-chance that you'd already fixed that issue and simply didn't upload an updated file.

DevoDog
Dragon

Post by DevoDog »

Hey, Rumble!

The End of Turn saves not being removed from External Timing is easy to fix (so far).

You reversed the order of the variable in the listFind functions. The snippet of code SHOULD be:

Code: Select all

[if(saveRoll >= 10),CODE:
   {
       [setState(saveAgainst, 0)]
       [if(listFind(allMyODList,saveAgainst)!= -1): OngoingDamage = json.remove(OngoingDamage, saveAgainst)]
       [if(listFind(allMyConditionList,saveAgainst) != -1): ExternalTiming = json.remove(ExternalTiming, saveAgainst)]   
       [displaySaveResult(saveRoll, saveAgainst, token.name)]
I can't really work on the framework that much this evening....but I'll hopefully have all of the glitches fixed before my next game (Sunday, 8/30).

DevoDog
Dragon

Post by DevoDog »

Hey, Rumble!

I'm hoping you can provide some insight for me.

I'm seeing some problems with how Conditions are imposed in BOTH the Combat Manager and Combat Framework (full CMPGN framework).

The problem is that if you impose a condition on a token that already HAS that condition, the newest condition is being applied. This can pose some problems.

For example, Initiative Order is Orc1, Orc2, PC.

Orc1 imposes Dazed (Save Ends) on PC.
Orc2 imposes Dazed (End of Orc2's turn) on PC.
PC no longer has Dazed (Save Ends) imposed (where it should be both).

It actually gets a bit worse if it's:
Orc1 imposes Dazed (End of Orc1's turn)
Orc2 imposes Dazed (Save Ends)
PC saves against Orc2's Dazing (since it's the only one that applies) and is NOT Dazed during Orc1's turn.

DevoDog
Dragon

Post by DevoDog »

Hey, Rumble!

I'm still tweaking the Combat Manager to address some of the issues I've found.

What I decided to do was start with a blank canvas and, using your macros, figure out what I've needed to do.

In regards to the same condition being applied multiple times to a token, it looked like the problem is using JSON objects. It seems (I'm not well versed with JSON) that if a condition already exists, any "updates" will modify the existing object rather than adding an existing object.

So, I've gone back to what I was initially doing:

Tokens have 7 properties for conditions
- StartOfTurn
- StartOfTurnImposedBy
- EndOfTurn
- EndOfTurnImposedBy
- SaveEnds
- NewEndOfTurn
- NewEndOfTurnImposedBy

I needed to do NewEndOfTurn/ImposedBy so that "until the end of your NEXT turn" conditions would run properly. Part of my StartTurn macro is to append all of those values to the EndOfTurn values and clear out the old values. I'm only applying a SaveEnds condition if the token does NOT already have that condition.

I've also noticed that in this framework, new TempHP value overwrite any existing TempHP values, even if they're lower than the existing TempHP (not sure if you've fixed this in your main framework).

Once I get my version of the Combat Manager working, I'll start a new thread here and create a page for my version (and include a link to your page for downloading and credit to you).

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

AFAIK, a character can't be under the same condition twice, can they? If they're dazed, and get dazed again, then they're just dazed with the new expiration time, right?

Or is it "they just get whatever the longest time is?" Either way, there won't be 2 instances of Dazed in the JSON. In fact, as you say, you can't put dazed in there twice because it's a JSON object (which I selected on purpose, since it would update the existing condition and not add a new one).

DevoDog
Dragon

Post by DevoDog »

Rumble wrote: Or is it "they just get whatever the longest time is?" Either way, there won't be 2 instances of Dazed in the JSON. In fact, as you say, you can't put dazed in there twice because it's a JSON object (which I selected on purpose, since it would update the existing condition and not add a new one).
Yep....it's supposed to be the longest time. But there's no such thing as being double dazed. If you're under Dazed conditions that last until start/end of turn...those are fairly easy. It's conditions with Save Ends in addition to start/end of turn conditions that are the problem.

I think I've gotten all of my tweaks done to the Combat Manager. I'll be using it for a game this Sunday. I'll see how it goes.

CaptCommy
Kobold

Post by CaptCommy »

So, I just installed both MapTools and your Combat Manager framework, as I've looked low and high for something like this, and this one appears to be the best.

I can open the file and adjust the stats and everything, but whenever I either close an editing window or push F10, I get a stack overflow error.

How do I fix this?

Ramius613
Kobold

Post by Ramius613 »

When you start up Maptools, change the Stack size to a larger number. Off the top of my head, I believe the default is 2 MB, I run it with at least 10. That should fix your problems.

Ramius

Natha
Dragon

Post by Natha »

Ramius613 wrote:When you start up Maptools, change the Stack size to a larger number. Off the top of my head, I believe the default is 2 MB, I run it with at least 10. That should fix your problems.

Ramius
Beware that a stack size too big can either cause problems (there's a thread about that somewhere).
I would recommend to set it to 4 to begin with.
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “User Creations”