Melek's Simple 5e Framework - Updated 8/6/20 - Version 2.2.1

Framework(s) for D&D 5e.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Glomertam
Kobold

Re: Melek's Simple 5e Framework - Updated 8/6/20 - Version 2.2.1

Post by Glomertam »

Melek,

Thanks for showing how to add classes. I've got a few more questions. In the "Configure Token" macro, the "Advanced" tab has an override option for adding HD levels based on character size (for doing creatures with HD levels rather than character levels). Is the override required to add creature/size levels? Or can you have a character/creature with a mix of levels based on size and class levels?

For example, suppose I've got an NPC Gargoyle that I've added two wizard levels to. The gargoyle has 7d8 HD based on its medium size, and 2d6 HD based on its wizard levels. Can these be added together, or would I need to treat the wizard levels as small size (or treat the gargoyle HD like cleric levels or the like)?

digiacom
Cave Troll

Post by digiacom »

That is a neat, weird use case.

To homebrew that, you could change the HD formula for that monster to blend flat hd (size) with class hd, but at present you'll have to directly edit the monster's token properties.

I think the configure macro is rather either/or about it, so you might have to let go of using the configure macro for that monster. Alternatively, you might be able to enter {Wizard} for HD4 directly in the advanced tab of the configure macro... I'm on my phone so I'm unsure if that works!

Keep in mind the configure macro is actually doing very simple stuff that can all be done in the property editor, so this is an opportunity to get under the hood a little if the configure macro is lacking :)
a.k.a. Melek on Discord.
Check out my Simple 5e Framework!

digiacom
Cave Troll

Post by digiacom »

Glomertam wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:19 am
For example, suppose I've got an NPC Gargoyle that I've added two wizard levels to. The gargoyle has 7d8 HD based on its medium size, and 2d6 HD based on its wizard levels. Can these be added together, or would I need to treat the wizard levels as small size (or treat the gargoyle HD like cleric levels or the like)?
Hi again Glomertam,

I ran across the rules for Monster Creation in the DMG; class levels for monsters always add the same HD that the monster already has (so 2d8 in your Gargoyle's case). Just a RAW detail I thought I'd share, though I think adding the class-specific die would be fine, too :)
a.k.a. Melek on Discord.

el taco bueno
Kobold

Post by el taco bueno »

Hey digiacom!

I finally registered on the forums just to tell you that this is by far the best 5e Framework I have used. Thank you so much for the tutorials and well thought out instructions. I have already begun messing with macros and creating my own personalized stuff.

I am working on a macro right now to calculate gained XP from a fight. I am hoping I can get it to work, but I am still new at all of this and terrible with coding languages.

I am hoping that I can get it to look for "NPC" tokens with the "Dead" state and pull their XP value from a Challenge Rating property on the token. Once it adds all that up, it divides the amount by the total "PC" tokens that are not dead and spits out the number gained. Perhaps I can work it into a player token property so it just keeps track of a specific player's experience amount for them.

Also, is there anything you have built into the framework for keeping track of an NPC's special attributes? I was just going to put it into the GM notes section for the token, but thought it'd be neat to have it incorporated into the sheet table that the sheet macro pulls up. For instance: Goblin's have "nimble escape" which allows it to disengage or hide as a bonus action. I am trying to avoid opening up my monster manual to remember these special traits. I tried using Bobifle's monster tokens, but didn't like the req for using an external Json editor to fix stuff, so I am working on my own system for that.

Anyway, Thanks so much for your continued effort in this project!

digiacom
Cave Troll

Post by digiacom »

Thanks so much for the kind words! I love to hear that the framework is helping get people into MapTool, so thanks for your story :)

XP System
I love your XP idea! I don't use XP and recommend milestone xp/levelling every X sessions "when it feels right", so an XP system would be really great.

In principle, the problem with seeking out dead monsters on a map is differentiating NPCs and Monsters. To get around that, you might want to limit the tokens you process to those you select. A little annoying since dead NPCs are on the Object layer, but definitely easier than a secondary system to differentiate 'types' of NPCs!

I recommend splitting 'Figure out monster XP value' and 'Distributing XP to party members' as two different macros (I'd probably call them 'Calculate Mob XP' and 'Award XP'). I might also make a button that simply spits out some recommended XP tables from the DMG for my reference ('XP Reference').

The nice thing about this approach is that you could click the 'Award XP' macro for non-monster XP, such as Roleplaying awards. You could also use selected tokens as your list of tokens so that you can always award XP to only the tokens you select; that way, one macro can be used for both group and individual XP awards.

If you wanted to get really fancy, you could use JSON to insert each experience gain as a record in a list and record/generate the source of each instance along with a datestamp. This would effectively give you a running tally of all the experience that character has gained, when, and why - but it adds a lot of complexity, so of course I don't recommend that as a starting point.

Special NPC Attributes
As far as special attributes/monster features, GM notes is a good, simple solution. Adding it to the Character Sheet isn't too hard, but requires some knowledge of the scripting language, HTML/CSS, and some time to wade through the Sheet macro - I would search that macro for how "Inspiration" is displayed for some simple-ish code that makes a block on the sheet.

Two other simple methods:
  • Make a macro on the token named after the feature that simply outputs a description of the feature to chat - this is how Bobifle's tokens do it!
  • Add a new campaign token property called 'Special' that shows up for GMs on the stat-sheet (*# in front of its name), and put your features in that property so you can quickly see them!
I definitely think that you should reconsider using Bobifle's monster tokens for stock monsters - I have never used a json editor on them and they work great for me. In the rare instances I edit them, I copy/edit the existing macros and use the 'Convert 5e Monster Token' GM macro and then use the 'Configure Token' macro to customize them. The tokens save SO Much prep time!
a.k.a. Melek on Discord.

el taco bueno
Kobold

Post by el taco bueno »

Thanks for the reply.

I will take another look at the monster tokens. I was considering ripping the macros from it anyway to skin my own.

Currently, I am using your framework on a digital battle map that I made for face-to-face play. So all the token art is replaced with colored blocks to serve as placeholders for the miniatures. I ran my first session (Just a test thing to work out any kinks) last night! My set up involves my main computer rig running a server locally with all the files on it and I am using my laptop in the room where we play to connect to the server. The laptop runs two instances of maptool, one for the player screen (the battle map) and one for the GM screen. It was running smoothly, but I ran into an issue that was easily recreated by me.

Whenever I tried to change the state on a token (using the macros) with the laptop, maptool would freeze up on both instances. The laptop would be fine, but all of maptool froze. I would have to exit it with the task manager. Interestingly enough, the server side machine would still display the updated states, show logs with the state change macro being called, and be running fine. Further testing showed that updating the states directly on the server computer would NOT freeze my laptop's maptool instance and the laptop would update accordingly. I am unsure of what is causing this, but I think it is directly tied to the states themselves and not the macro. When I tried to view the states on the laptop (directly in the properties window) it would lag while scrolling down the list of states. Perhaps you have an idea, but I was thinking that I may have to place the state files locally on my laptop due to some weird hang up on data between the two.

As for the XP system idea, I think you're right on the idea of just considering "selected" tokens. I am unsure of the limitations of the macro system, but I am experimenting enough to slowly figure it out! haha. I normally run milestone systems, but I have been working on my own system of play for the past few months (group project with two other friends) that makes D&D more open world, sandbox and less focused on a main over-arching plot. Without getting into specifics, we are essentially using the power of computers to make things that would otherwise be tedious for pen-and-paper, a part of the game. Creating an in depth world and system that doesn't require any extra work from the players. We wanted to move to a normal XP system as this world would involve far more random encounters and random dungeons than planned story based leveling.

If I knew anything about JSON, I probably would use that! haha

VagariesOfFate
Kobold

Post by VagariesOfFate »

Hello all,

I'm in the process of compiling available resources (frameworks, content, tokens, etc) for MT in a central place and would like to link any repositories that have frameworks available, as well as host repos for any frameworks or content that needs a home.

I'll include links to anything (unless I get a complaint) but anything directly hosted in the compilation will need to be license compliant.

Melek's repo and a few others are linked and there are spaces for addon's, content and bits of code you'd like to share.

License compliance for this case is the SRD5 and other materials under OGL licensing. I have a couple of posts about it in Discord or you can reach out to me if you have questions about what that means.

so if there is anyone who can help me gather the repos and links, please let me know here or in the MT Discord server.

The repo is here https://github.com/RPG-Nexus-VTT-Databa ... nd-content

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by VagariesOfFate on Tue May 11, 2021 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RPG Nexus MapTools repository. Check it out and contribute now

https://github.com/RPG-Nexus-VTT-Databa ... nd-content

rpt-steve
Kobold

Post by rpt-steve »

Hello!

I'm trying to give this framework a spin after a lengthy absence, but I'm running into a problem: All the files I download from the github refuse to open in MapTool 1.8.3! I keep getting the following error when trying to open the .cmpgn file, or when trying to pull any of the rptok files into an already opened MapTool:

Could not load campaign
java.util.zip.ZipException: zip END header not found

Similar error when trying to drag and drop an rptok form the "parts" subdir. I've tried all the different 2.X versions of this framework but they're all the same. Unfortunately I don't see anyone else with the same problem, which makes me wonder if it's just me. Any ideas?

EDIT UPDATE: So, downloading the cmpgn file in the top post of this thread appears to work fine. I notice that when I download from this thread, the file is 2.6 MB, but when I download apparently the same file from github, it's only 118 KB. I suppose that's why it wouldn't open! But why am I getting an incomplete file from github?

VagariesOfFate
Kobold

Post by VagariesOfFate »

The main git and links from my repo both appear to show the correct file size.

It was likely just a download error.
RPG Nexus MapTools repository. Check it out and contribute now

https://github.com/RPG-Nexus-VTT-Databa ... nd-content

Jmr3366
Cave Troll

Post by Jmr3366 »

Other Monster Tokens compatible with this framework.

Over 700 top down tokens, more than 2100 normal tokens, from 23 reference materials
All Monsters, All Traps, All Hazards, All Siege Objects
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Al6_vh5ZO29wbSFo2JY ... Y?e=B1OPKf

Best place for updates:
https://discord.com/channels/2962308222 ... 6165737513
Last edited by Jmr3366 on Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DonAndron
Kobold

Post by DonAndron »

Unable to change health bar visibility for players. I want in Edit > Campaign Properties > Bars tab. I remove the checkbox, I press refresh. The state is not saved.
What to do?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

DonAndron wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 8:13 am
Unable to change health bar visibility for players. I want in Edit > Campaign Properties > Bars tab. I remove the checkbox, I press refresh. The state is not saved.
What to do?
After clicking "Update" you need to also click "Ok" for it to make the change.

DonAndron
Kobold

Post by DonAndron »

aliasmask wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 2:30 pm
DonAndron wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 8:13 am
What to do?
After clicking "Update" you need to also click "Ok" for it to make the change.
I remove the checkbox as in the screenshot, press update and ok. I go into the settings again - checkbox is active.
This is only if the company settings are from Melek's Simple 5e Framework, the default settings are saved normally.
Attachments
Scrine.PNG
Scrine.PNG (12.52 KiB) Viewed 1838 times

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Specifically, which box do you check and uncheck (GM, Owner, Everybody). Once changed you click update and then okay. Then when you reopen settings, your changes are not saved? Is this correct?

The framework doesn't control these settings, so that shouldn't matter. Also, which version of MapTool are you using?

DonAndron
Kobold

Post by DonAndron »

An update has been released and everything has been fixed. Thanks

Return to “D&D 5e Frameworks”