Framework(s) for D&D 5e.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Conandy
Kobold

Re: 5e D&D Framework

Post by Conandy »

Conandy wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:20 pm
I'm a total noob but trying to learn how to use Maptool in a bit more than basic functionality mode. I just want to manage combat minimally, using AC, HP, conditions, and lastly, initiative.

What I cannot figure out is how to get to and re-use/re-program/learn from the stuff that is buried in Rumbles framework that was used as the basis for the initiative system. For instance, the Advance Turn macro calls the function: "rfw.advanceTurn()", but if I am building my own framework from scratch to keep it clean, my framework doesn't have that function available to call upon.

Specifically, I love the overlay that tracks with which token has initiative. But I can't seem to replicate that on my own.

Thanks for any help.
Well, I think I have discovered "Library Tokens" and that seems to be where some of these functions reside. I seem to be able to import those tokens with the functionality I need into my simplified campaign framework, but any advice for a noob like me learning this stuff is still appreciated. I didn't even know about "Library tokens" when I posted this earlier.
Andrew Grover

“Evil isn’t the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it’s a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference.” - Harry Dresden

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Conandy wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:40 pm
Well, I think I have discovered "Library Tokens" and that seems to be where some of these functions reside. I seem to be able to import those tokens with the functionality I need into my simplified campaign framework, but any advice for a noob like me learning this stuff is still appreciated. I didn't even know about "Library tokens" when I posted this earlier.
Spend some time reading these articles to get a foundation: http://lmwcs.com/rptools/wiki/Main_Page
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Swagthur
Kobold

Post by Swagthur »

Alright, I've given it two weeks, but I haven't yet been able to figure out what exactly I'm doing wrong. I've downloaded the campaign file (link in the OP) multiple times to make sure that it wasn't a case of weird packet loss or something, and I've made sure I'm running the latest (NERPS) version of maptool, but I'm still getting a very strange error. The thing is, when I use 'initialize pads' from the BoT, I get a bunch of popups asking me for the values of macro variables for teleport pads, but there aren't any teleport pads, so this of course fails. I don't get it these errors on a 'clean' bag of tricks install in a different map, but replacing the library token (which I initially thought might be causing the macro to be confused) or any of the other library tokens also didn't help. Any help would be appreciated! I'm loving this framework, and would love to be able to use it in conjunction with the bag of tricks :)

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Swagthur wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:49 pm
Alright, I've given it two weeks, but I haven't yet been able to figure out what exactly I'm doing wrong. I've downloaded the campaign file (link in the OP) multiple times to make sure that it wasn't a case of weird packet loss or something, and I've made sure I'm running the latest (NERPS) version of maptool, but I'm still getting a very strange error. The thing is, when I use 'initialize pads' from the BoT, I get a bunch of popups asking me for the values of macro variables for teleport pads, but there aren't any teleport pads, so this of course fails. I don't get it these errors on a 'clean' bag of tricks install in a different map, but replacing the library token (which I initially thought might be causing the macro to be confused) or any of the other library tokens also didn't help. Any help would be appreciated! I'm loving this framework, and would love to be able to use it in conjunction with the bag of tricks :)
You're probably more likely to get help on this in the BoT thread... as this isn't a problem with this framework so much as it sounds like some kind of incompatibility with the Bot.

Tell Wolph how to repeat the error and he'll probably be able to address it.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

ZuppaDePesce
Kobold

Post by ZuppaDePesce »

First Time Poster here. After using the search function here, I'm not sure where to post my question/concern. When running Nerps 1.4.5.4. I get a Stack Overflow error soon after the server starts. I can't edit, or enter the JVM Memory settings either. The fields are blank and they won't accept any numbers.

Is there something I need to do?
I want to play D&D on a free VTT. Not program a video game . . . a paper and pencil/digital hybrid would be nice!

Sereptus
Giant

Post by Sereptus »

I thought I had this problem too. If you just put your mouse cursor in the box, then just start typing, the numbers will appear. It's a little strange for U.I. but it works.
OOOHH RegEx....YOU BITTER-SWEET BEAST!!!

ZuppaDePesce
Kobold

Post by ZuppaDePesce »

I am trying that. I click on the first box, I'll enter 2048. When I click on the next box, the 2048 blanks out!
I want to play D&D on a free VTT. Not program a video game . . . a paper and pencil/digital hybrid would be nice!

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

ZuppaDePesce wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:22 pm
First Time Poster here. After using the search function here, I'm not sure where to post my question/concern. When running Nerps 1.4.5.4. I get a Stack Overflow error soon after the server starts. I can't edit, or enter the JVM Memory settings either. The fields are blank and they won't accept any numbers.

Is there something I need to do?
The Nerps fork thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=23681

Sereptus
Giant

Post by Sereptus »

Use the TAB key to get to the next box. Make sure to save.

ZuppaDePesce
Kobold

Post by ZuppaDePesce »

Thanks! Using the suffix (m), the tab key and save worked, but I'm still getting the error.

I reposted in the Nerps thread . . . viewtopic.php?f=60&t=23681&p=271688#p271688

Edit: (facepalm) I must restart MT for the changes to go into effect. DOH! :mrgreen:

Twilightic
Kobold

Post by Twilightic »

Okay so its been awhile since I've used maptools and I've forgotten most of it, but I've never used a framework and have no idea how to do anything with it. Would anyone be willing to message me on discord or something and walk me through it? I'm trying to create a campaign for 5e for my friends to play and really would prefer to use maptools over roll20 for the fog of war feature, revealed by the players as they move, but am kinda frustrated because I have no idea how to set up anything besides the map itself.

quikdagger
Giant

Post by quikdagger »

Twilightic wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:21 pm
Okay so its been awhile since I've used maptools and I've forgotten most of it, but I've never used a framework and have no idea how to do anything with it. Would anyone be willing to message me on discord or something and walk me through it? I'm trying to create a campaign for 5e for my friends to play and really would prefer to use maptools over roll20 for the fog of war feature, revealed by the players as they move, but am kinda frustrated because I have no idea how to set up anything besides the map itself.
Well that depends on what all you are trying to learn to do. Setting up a campaign can be straightforward (especially if you already know how to set up the maps with VBL) but can get tedious when it comes to tokens. On this framework on the LIBRARY map there are two tokens named Generic... use these as the base for what you are creating. Now I typically then drag and drop the macros onto this token (by making my "new" token that is a copy of say Generic NPC impersonated)... and in Properties on the token you can manually adjust all the information you need for the token such as HP, AC, and whatnot.To get an example of how it can all come together I have numerous 5E adventures (using this very framework) available here on the forums (viewforum.php?f=8). Feel free to snatch one of them to see how I modify and use the framework or if you have something more specific you are wanting to know I'd be more than willing to try and help :D
RPGA#: 5223824963
Recruiting: World's Largest Dungeon
Camapign Session Summary Page
In Development: World of Deiradh
SkypeID:quikdagger
LFR Character:Malcrere Krylon (Human Pursuing Avenger 1)

bocotainin
Kobold

Post by bocotainin »

Anyone get "unknown state inspired" when trying to use bardic inspiration?

Korvinagor
Kobold

Post by Korvinagor »

bocotainin wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:36 pm
Mmhm - it's an easy enough problem to fix though. All that needs to be done is to implement the "Inspired" state in the Campaign Properties, and you should be good to go.
I've created an image that should fit using this resource - feel free to download it and put it to good use!
If you want to create icons of the same mould (i.e. ones which match the preexisting states), make the icon a rounded square with a corner radius of '68', and the actual image 82x82. You should then expand the canvas to 100x100, and, if you like, overlay a pre-existing icon underneath to get the white halo effect.

Sereptus
Giant

Post by Sereptus »

bocotainin wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:36 pm
You would have to go to Edit Properties and add a state "Inspired" under the states tab. You should have/make an image ready in a folder to add it as this requires an image of something.

Return to “D&D 5e Frameworks”