Melek's Simple 5e Framework - Updated 8/6/20 - Version 2.2.1

Framework(s) for D&D 5e.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

digiacom
Cave Troll

Melek's Simple 5e Framework - Updated 8/6/20 - Version 2.2.1

Post by digiacom »

Welcome to Melek's Simple 5e

Starting out with MapTool, I found the 5e frameworks were so complicated that I couldn't understand how they worked. As a result, I made a down n' dirty, basic 5e framework for others who may not want to use JSON, Library Tokens, and other advanced techniques right off the bat (or at all). I've built upon that idea to create a DnD 5e framework that aims to help new MapTool users quickly get playing while being ripe for tinkering and extension.

Pete of Dragons are Real has also done a great walkthrough video to show the framework in action, check it out on YouTube!

Here is what it looks like. Note that the Selected and Campaign macro panels must be opened from the Window menu so you can view all the macro buttons.
Screenshot of the framework.
Screenshot of the framework.
Simple 5e v2.0 Screenshot.png (219.89 KiB) Viewed 18872 times

Download
Meleks Simple 5e v2.2.1.cmpgn
Basic campaign file with Campaign Properties, Campaign, GM, and Token macros. Includes help and compatibility with Drop-in monster tokens. This is all you need to get started! (2.0 downloaded 33 times, 2.1 downloaded 286 times, 2.2 downloaded 27 times)
(2.68 MiB) Downloaded 2302 times
Two entirely optional library tokens are included in the campaign file, one which provides help for new GMs and players and a second for bobifle's Drop-in Monster Tokens (viewtopic.php?t=27420). They are not required for any of the macros. If you don't want to use these, simply delete the Lib:5eAddOn and/or the Lib:Simple5eHelp tokens from the campaign file and never look back.
What's new in Version 2
In version 2.0, I've added many quality of life improvements, compromising some of the original framework's simplicity to add convenience for players and GMs.
  • I've added a 5e Character Sheet with some basic options.
  • I've added an optional Custom Counters system to track things like spells, ability use, or ammunition.
  • I've included one new optional Help System library token which loads a help screen and has tutorials for new users. You can delete this if you don't need it.
  • I've spruced up how you configure and tweak Character and NPC tokens. These options for players are now accessible either through the new character sheet, or directly on the Campaign panel.
  • Improved compatibility with bobifle's drop-in 5e monster tokens, and updated the included library token his newest version.
  • I've fixed loads of bugs and many small features at the requests of community members. See the changelog below for more details.
Many of the macros have become more complex, but I've also added many comments and included a few more complex macros to showcase some possibilities, and added some comments and tooltips for newer users to help with understanding some of the more confusing pieces. If it ever seems like feature-creep is making it too difficult to understand, let me know!

For those not interested in the new features and want to stick to a truly simple framework, I've left the 1.3 version of the framework available on this post . It is still very approachable for beginners, and the properties are shared between the two versions - I only removed 4 class specific properties from the new version, and tokens from the old version should work as-is or easily updated.
Version 1.3 Downloads - Last updated 11/2/19
Screenshot of macros
Screenshot of what the framework's macro windows look like. (Pre 1.3 screenshot had 941 views)
Screenshot of what the framework's macro windows look like. (Pre 1.3 screenshot had 941 views)
Meleks Simple 5e v1.3.PNG (231.99 KiB) Viewed 20142 times
Campaign file (All Campaign and Token Macros and Properties + 5e Monsters library
Meleks Simple 5e v1.3.cmpgn
Basic campaign file with campaign properties, campaign macros, the sample token with token macros, and some extra macros for fighter and monks. Also includes (but does not depend on) Lib:5eAddOn library token for compatibility with bobifle's 5e monster tokens. (1.2 downloaded 25 times)
(1.41 MiB) Downloaded 258 times
Token Macroset
Meleks Simple 5e Token Macroset v1.3.mtmacset
The Token Macroset. (1.2 downloaded 11 times)
(8.24 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
Campaign Macroset
Meleks Simple 5e Campaign Macroset v1.3.mtmacset
The Campaign Macroset. (1.2 downloaded 9 times)
(13.32 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
Campaign Properties
Meleks Simple 5e Campaign Props v1.3.mtprops
The Campaign Properties. (1.2 downloaded 9 times)
(496.39 KiB) Downloaded 179 times

Recommended: Spell Library Addon for MapTool 1.6+!
Merudo has created a simply incredible drop-in spell library plugin for this framework that makes using spells a breeze without setting up loads of custom buttons. The framework is designed to work with MapTool 1.5.14, so I did not include this in the campaign file - but I urge you to check it out!
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=28746

Simple 5e 2.0 Framework features
My desire providing this framework is to offer a lot of the functionality needed to play 5e without every class and race option configured into the game. The result is a fairly lightweight, mostly token-based system that is pretty easy to tinker with as you play. I'm hoping this framework is understandable to newer MapTool users, while helping them dip their toes into further concepts from intermediate to advanced. Using only the basic features, you can start playing quickly by using external/digital character sheets and reference books to track inventory, spells, and other extra information (We use DnD Beyond in my group).

Here is a guide to the framework's out-of-the-box features:
  • 5e Campaign Properties and States which do not use JSON or other more complex data structures so they can (mostly) be easily edited directly. The defaults are somewhat enforced through the use of campaign macros when setting up tokens.
  • GM and Campaign Macros for managing tokens (including a usable Pronoun system) and set/unset condition modifiers.
    • Configure Token lets you set a token's name/race/class, hit dice, attributes, proficiency, and AC/HP. This macro directly calls the 'Tweak Token' and 'Validate Token' macros to reduce redundancy and show how to use the macro roll option.
    • Tweak Token lets you quickly adjust oft-changed attributes like AC, HP, Speed, and a few others.
    • Validate Token helps reset defaults on tokens to make sure they work with the token macros.
    • Create Action let you create either paired macros (for separated attack and damage rolls) or single actions on a wide button. These actions will be sorted and color coded by action type (Action/Bonus Action/Reaction).
    • Custom Counters can track spells, ability use, ammo, and more. They work with the Create Action and Sheet macros to provide quick and easy tracking, a lot like manual counters when playing face to face. The system uses JSON, but is very automated and optional and can be ignored.
    • All 5e conditions plus some extras we use a lot. These are nearly directly from paulstrait's 5e framework, with mostly modified RPG Maker MV images.
    • NPC Damage, Healing, and Initiative macros which work on selected NPC tokens.
  • Token Macros including basic dice roller macros at the top and various default macro sections.
    • Adventuring Macros include HP and HD Management that includes pretty dynamic short and long rest buttons, a 'Sheet' macro gives access to token configuration to quickly adjust character attributes, and an AFK button.
    • Combat Macros to manage initiative and make default actions such as Dash or Dodge easily available to the player. Attack and Damage macros can be created with many options via the 'Create Action' campaign macro.
    • Saving throws and skill check macros are in two panels color-coded by ability. Death saves only operate if the character has the 'Dead' state or is at 0 hit points.
  • Tidy and organized macros designed to look consistent at the correct frame width (resize to fit). My players really like this, and have customized their tokens to match.
A few other states that are used a lot in my game are in the 'Other States' campaign macros.

Updates

Current Version: 2.2.1
Released 8/06/2020
2.0 Added Character Sheets, Custom Counters, a help system, and numerous other additions and fixes.
2.1 Fixed Invisibility, some issues with players using some Campaign tokens, and a few other bugs.
2.2 Added an 'Apply Jack of All Trades' macro, weapon templates, and a workaround for a bug in MT 1.7.
Visit Github for a full changelog
v1.2 and older have bad bugs! If you are using v1.2 or earlier, read this...
Attention! There are game-affecting bugs in versions 1.2 and older!
There are 3 known bugs in 1.2 and prior that can affect outcomes of rolls for your players in game:
1) Charisma based skill macros on v1.2 and older tokens were using DexMod instead of ChaMod. You can manually change 'DexMod' to 'ChaMod' on the four skill macros on all your tokens (Deception, Intimidation, Performance, Persuasion),

I've written up a global macro to quickly update your tokens for this issue here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=28308&p=274512#p274512.

2) 'Investigation' uses the History proficiency by mistake

3) The built-in 'Unarmed DMG' macro uses a 1d4+StrMod instead of 1+StrMod

Sorry to affect your games in this way! I'll fix this in a framework update eventually, but for now you should update your template player token if you download this framework to prevent spreading the error around your game.

Credits!
I owe a lot of thanks to paulstrait and the other creators responsible for his 5e framework (viewtopic.php?f=85&t=25490), especially for the basic roller and conditions macros. This framework got me started.

Enormous gratitude to bobifle's work on the amazing 5e monster tokens system. It is the backbone of my improvisational GM style.

Additional thanks to many, many community members on Discord, I got a LOT of help debugging this version and getting feedback. I have fuller acknowledgments in the framework; this is truly a community effort bigger than myself, I'm so grateful for all of you who spend your precious time helping me.

RPGMaker MV is the source of most of my condition images.

Using the framework (for newer users)
  • When using the campaign file, use Maptool 1.5.14 or later. You can get 1.5.14 or later here: https://github.com/RPTools/maptool/releases
  • The 'Standard Macros' token is your template for new tokens. Make a copy of this token for each player and NPC you need, select the copy, and click on 'Configure Token' to change the name and attributes of each new token.
  • To add abilities to a token, select it and use the 'Create Action' macro in the Campaign panel, or edit/duplicate/delete existing ability macros directly.
  • To change the portrait of your copied tokens, right click on each token, click 'Edit', and select the 'Config' menu. Click the green 'Plus' symbol at the top-right of the token image to change it. (Get TokenTool - https://www.rptools.net/toolbox/token-tool/)
  • Make a new map and copy/paste your player tokens to it.
  • When making monsters, setting up one monster, copy-pasting it multiple times, and editing the copies with small adjustments is easier than reconfiguring a bunch of tokens from scratch.
A slightly more advanced alternative to copying the standard macros token is importing the macro set onto new tokens. You can export the token macro set by selecting the Standard Token, right-clicking on the selection panel, and clicking 'Export Macro Set'. This is nice because you don't have to edit the portrait, and you don't accidentally leave details from a copied token on your new one.

Issues and warnings
There are many downsides to such a simple system. The biggest is that without Library tokens, almost all macros are duplicated on each token. This makes it easy to edit a macro on the fly for a specific character (and if you give them access, easy for them to edit themselves), but means if you find a bug on a standard token macro you'll have to manually fix it on all the other tokens.

Another disadvantage of this approach is that some code is duplicated. For example, the 'Short Rest' macro code is basically repeated in each 'Long Rest' macro. To update this code properly, it would need to be updated in both macros across all your tokens.

A small exception are some 'Sheet' option links and the 'Token manage' campaign macros, which use the "macro" roll option to call the macros from other panels, meaning that you only ever have to edit these called macros on the GM panel and nowhere else to update them. Review these macros, or better yet read up about 'Library Tokens' if you are interested in implementing similar time-saving design patterns in your version of the framework.

For those who like to read, I also have a pretty crunchy written guide that I use when demo-ing the framework. Be warned - its a bit excruciating, as it is essentially a script for myself to give a presentation.

Lastly, there will be bugs! Even with considerable help from the community, it is just a fact of life. If you find a bug, comment below and if there's some interest I'll update this post and re-upload. Remember, if you want a small quality of life feature, try to add it yourself - this framework is for tinkering!

Using 5e Monster Tokens
I use my framework in conjunction with bobifle's incredible 5e Monster Tokens (viewtopic.php?t=27420). It is an enormous timesaver when GMing on the fly (mostly always for us), at the minor expense of a single library token on a staging map. This is included in my campaign file. I've made numerous features specifically for these tokens to make using them easier, but the framework is still very light even if you skip on using these.

If you do use these, you can optionally use the 'Convert 5e Monster Token' GM macro to quickly get monster statistics converted for easy use with my token macros (especially the 'Sheet' macro).

If you are importing my framework into an existing campaign, you'll have to add the library token (included in the download linked from the thread above) to a staging map in your campaign to use these tokens.

Thanks for looking!
I'm excited to share something back with the community, I've used Maptool every week for over a year now and I love it. If you want to chat/ask me any questions, I'm on the Maptool Discord a lot (my username there is Melek).
Last edited by digiacom on Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:26 pm, edited 29 times in total.
a.k.a. Melek on Discord.
Check out my Simple 5e Framework!

Darkwood
Kobold

Re: Melek's Simple 5e Framework - Updated 8/28/19

Post by Darkwood »

Thanks for sharing... downloading
I was making my shitty "framework" (functional macros) to begin to use the program with my reluctant players and to begin to understand how it works. The program is good but is intimidating. My players will have a Roll20-ish program with a character sheet.

Thank you :)

digiacom
Cave Troll

Post by digiacom »

Thanks for trying it Darkwood - I sincerely hope it strikes the right balance of useful and understandable. Looking extremely forward to your feedback!
a.k.a. Melek on Discord.

Darkwood
Kobold

Post by Darkwood »

Hi again. Sorry is my english is not good.

The macros are easy to use and to understand and thats is what was looking for my players, to introduce to maptool.

But... :)

Instead to use one macro to attack and another to make damage:
Atack macro: /me strikes with {PronounPossessive} Shortsword! ([t:1d20 + Proficiency + StrMod])
Damage macro: /me strikes with {PronounPossessive} Shortsword! ([t:1d20 + Proficiency + StrMod])

My approach is one macro that look if you have a 20 or a one and in my case the damage.

Code: Select all

[h:d20roll=1d20]
Mi ataque con la espada larga es <b>[d20roll + StrMod + Proficiency]</b><br>
[IF(d20roll != 1),CODE:
{
	[IF(d20roll >= 20),CODE:
	{
		!Crítico!<br>
		Daño <b>[1d8 + StrMod + 1d8]</b> cortante
	};
    {
		Daño <b>[1d8 + StrMod]</b> cortante
	};]
};
{
	!Pifia!
};]
What do you think?

Now I´m struggling with the spells. The macros are personalized for every player... but that is another story :)

PinkRose
Dragon

Post by PinkRose »

I'll totally be using this.
Let me take a look at it and see how it spins.
I am a special snowflake!

PinkRose
Dragon

Post by PinkRose »

First issue. It uses 1.5.4-rc
2. PP (Passive Perception doesn't show up correctly on the Monsters from Bobifle. It's using the printed PP and multiplying that, it seems.
I am a special snowflake!

digiacom
Cave Troll

Post by digiacom »

Hi Darkwood,
That's great! If you make weapon die type and the modifier a variable in the beginning, you could more easily adapt it in the future to other weapons. So happy to see you customizing it to fit your group!

My group really likes rolling damage manually most of the time, which is why I write mine as 2-parters. I'm glad you were able to customize to your needs. If you look at the 'Create Action' macros in the Campaign Macros, you could make yourself a macro to add these attack+damage macros to the selected token. :)

Hi Pink-Rose,
Oops, You're right, I did update to the developer release (in my case 1.5.4-rc1) before I saved the files since there were some fixes I was excited about. I have found it really reliable, but if you want to stick to the official releases you my have to wait until 1.5.4 officially comes out. I'm sorry about that, I'll update the OP with that information.

As far as things not showing up on the 5e monsters, there is no optimization for those monsters in my properties, so they don't really work that well with the mini statsheet unfortunately. Those monsters use the 'Perception' property for something different than I do and roll skills differently, so the Passive Perception property doesn't work.

If you add this to your campaign properties, you can get the Senses, Monster name, and Creature Type/CR to show up in the mouse-hover stat sheet:

__BOBIFLE_COMPATIBILITY__
*#Senses
*#mName
*#Creaturetype
Sorry it didn't work out of the box for you, let me know if I can do anything to help!
a.k.a. Melek on Discord.

bobifle
Giant

Post by bobifle »

That's the problem with the stat sheets, they are defined only at the campaign level, hence I would need to distribute a campaign file instead of just drop in tokens. I don't want to loose the drop in feature, I think it's great.

I cannot generate my tokens with anything else than the so called "Basic" campaign property type. Hence my tokens will use the "Basic" type. Unfortunately, that's the one Meleek's using as well. That's too bad because monsters do not use the same rules as players characters, so stat sheet will display wrong information.

If you want to quick fix this thoug in meleek's campaign file:

* in the campaign properties, Token properties tab, copy the content of the "Basic" type
* create a new type, "Player" for instance, then paste the content of "Basic" into "Player", click the "update" button.
* select the "standard macro" token, which is the template you'll use to create player characters, right click, edit, config tab, in "properties" select "Player"
* Keep the "Basic" type, but empty its content

Monster Tokens have their own "sheet" macro that pops up a dockable windows with the monster stats.
If you still want to display monster token overlay stat sheet, then simply edit the "Basic" property type.

here are the properties of a monster, Maptool won't let you see them in the edit dialog box.
Spoiler

ac
alignment 
charisma
constitution
creaturetype
dexterity
hitdice 
hp 
immunities
initiative
intelligence
languages
maxhp
mname
perception 
resistances
saves
senses
skills
speed
spellslots
strength
vulnerabilities 
wisdom

digiacom
Cave Troll

Post by digiacom »

Thanks, that is super helpful! I'm working out a few ideas to improve my framework for use with your tokens. I should have looked more closely, I tried not to step on any of your properties but I use both Perception and Speed differently than your tokens do. Doh!

I don't know when I will get the time to update the framework properties/macros for some extra compatibility, but for anyone wanting to tweak it now here are my suggestions:
  • Don't try to use the 'Tweak', 'Validate', or 'Configure' macros on dropped in monster tokens or load the player macros on them. I'd love for this to work, but its easiest to just avoid it. States, Healing/Damage, and Initiative all work fine from the campaign panel.
  • Ignore the 'Passive Investigation/Passive Perception' properties on these tokens. If they are annoying you because they take up a lot of room, clear their values on the monster token or make a macro to clear these from a selected token automatically.
  • If you want to see some of the monster properties on the sheet, you can add them to the Basic Properties set and place a *# in front of their name to make them visible to the GM only. (My reply to PinkRose above has a bit more on how I would write these in)
I hope these suggestions are helpful to someone until I find some time to update the files. :)
a.k.a. Melek on Discord.

venger
Giant

Post by venger »

I will try this! I just finished learning codeblue's and dndNext frameworks and need something in between, and this seems nice

I like bobfiles tokens too.
Funny thing, I'm just building my first dungeon after years away and want to use Crawling Claws, and they are not in bobfiles token collection lol. So I had to make my own very simple one.

Does anyone know how to use the bobfile token manager to make that one?
Without some instruction, its beyond me at this time.

digiacom
Cave Troll

Post by digiacom »

Hello Venger,

What I often do with the monster tokens is pick a monster token that has some or all of the abilities that I want, then I right-click on the token and edit its properties to match the stats, AC, and HP of my creature.

After that, depending on how detailed I feel like being I take a few extra steps:
  • Mix and match abilities from different monsters. To do it, select both tokens and drag the macro from one token's macroset to the others in the Selection window.
  • Edit the macros to match the correct names and bonuses
  • Duplicate macros on the token and edit their name and scripts to add new abilities
Another alternative is to make a new token and use 'Configure Token' and 'Add Action' campaign macros to set it up. :)

My rule of thumb is the more times they will see this or similar enemies, the more effort I put into the token.

So glad you're giving the framework a shot! If you want any advice or get stuck, ask away :)
a.k.a. Melek on Discord.

venger
Giant

Post by venger »

Digiacom,
Oh nice! I can do that. Hacking a token together is within my capability. I'd thought of it, but something I read about that token manager implied it needed to be used for new tokens, and I balked about hacking one for fear of breaking something.

Doing it that way opens the way to all those macro's abilities on all those monster tokens...
wow factor implicitly implied!!

So, what if I exported the macros needed, start a collection of them that could be imported into a copy an existing token? Would that work too?

Thus far I like your framework. Enough to share it with a game buddy who's just developing interest in maptool.
Thank you

bobifle
Giant

Post by bobifle »

You cannot edit directly my tokens by GUI means. I whish you could but maptool won't allow you to edit token properties that are not in the campaign settings.

For instruction on using token manager, if you read
https://github.com/bobifle/tokens

you'll find
tokens are editable only using a token manager (http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?t=14458)
WARNING: any edition of a token won't be reflected on its NPC sheet, everything else will. I am to blame for this mumbo jumbo this time.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

@bobifle - You do know that you can have multiple property sets in a campaign and switch between them in the Edit Token dialog to edit the active set?

venger
Giant

Post by venger »

Hi bobfile
I have a question for the token manager
I copied the red Open Token Manager button as instructed to Campaign window, and when I press it I get..

Undefined function: css.main

What am I missing? I can use the tokens ok

Return to “D&D 5e Frameworks”