Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

rtakehara
Cave Troll

Rod's D&D 5e Framework

Post by rtakehara »

Screenshot_Cover.png
Screenshot_Cover.png (1.21 MiB) Viewed 15586 times
Why I did this framework

I wanted a way to play D&D online, I tried some VTTs and I liked MapTool the most, but I missed tools from other VTTs and tried to emulate them on MapTools and the existing Frameworks were a bit confusing for me. And since I am very familiar with pen and paper RPGs but not very familiar with virtual tools, I tried to make it look and feel more like the physical thing, with visuals and dice rolls...

Content

This new version of my framework contains a MapTool 1.7 campaign file with 3 maps that are required to work properly (and shouldn't have their names changed).
A DM Screen map for the Library Tokens, a Character map for character creation and to keep the PC tokens and a Handouts map for images shared with players.

This is a complete rework, it has less content than the old versions, but it's design is more consistent, it supports Markdown mostly everywhere, its loads a little bit faster and it's easier to modify, so with time I will add more content and others can export content to each other.

It contains a a little more than a couple monsters, items and features, all SRD classes, races and background, and a notebook with instructions covering how to use the framework.

Download
Get the latest version on github

Screenshots
Spoiler
1 - 2.0.png
1 - 2.0.png (976.36 KiB) Viewed 21461 times
Party Overview (top left), pin (top center-left), player menu (top center-right) npc statblock (top right), spell window (left), character sheet (center), dice rolls on chat (bottom right), search tool (bottom left)
A couple long tutorials covering probably everything (With time stamps)
2.5 a playlist to all tutorials https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya4FeD0 ... 1G&index=1
2.4.4 automating class creation: https://youtu.be/ve4jUajdD7g
2.4 content creation: https://youtu.be/U-iQyKN2G08
2.0 overview: https://youtu.be/5Tjg3HXnZpo

Content (OLD)
Spoiler
This framework contains a MapTool 1.5.6 campaign file with 4 maps that are required to work properly (and shouldn't have their names changed).
A DM Screen map for the Library Tokens, A Bestiary map for the monsters used on the adventure, a Handouts map for images shared with players, and a Character map for character creation and to keep the PC tokens

There is also a Compendium Folder with Monsters from the Monster Manual, Races, Classes etc, as well as a copy of every Lib: Token just to be sure, it also contains global macros (meant for GMs)

It also includes a sample adventure to show some of the features. It's just an example, it has no balance, the story makes no sense and there is no pace. But in the future I may adapt Lost Mines of Phandelver.
Download (OLD)
Spoiler
Screenshots (OLD)
Spoiler
1.jpg
1.jpg (539.67 KiB) Viewed 24494 times
Character, Details and Spellcasting Sheets, Statblock, and some features, items and spell popups (click on the item/feat/spell name to popup, click on the (i) to share it on the chat)
2.jpg
2.jpg (524.07 KiB) Viewed 24494 times
Race and Background windows (click on "Copy *** Feat(s)" to get feats, click on each link to update your character's sheet) Weapons table (click on the name to popup, or in the ">" link to send that item to your character)
3.jpg
3.jpg (567.61 KiB) Viewed 24494 times
Class and Subclass windows (click on the links to update your character, click on "Level 1/2/3 etc..." to copy class features, some features like eldritch invocations and fighting styles are not copied because you have to choose 1, pay attention to that)
4.jpg
4.jpg (548.73 KiB) Viewed 24494 times
Spell List and Spells (click on the ">" link to copy the spell to your spell list, or click on the name of the spell to open a popup)
5.jpg
5.jpg (508.89 KiB) Viewed 24494 times
Some other tools, a monster character sheet (most words are links), an index and a window for the rules (you can modify these to create your own adventure module), a calculator (you can edit to write your own formula and share it on chat), buffs (you can create buffs and it will track how many turns to end, also if you have a concentration spell active and take damage, it will tell you the concentration DC) and a transfer window to move equipment from the Equipment box to the Treasure box (Equipment tracks weight, treasure does not) or click on the big ">" next to "Inventory" to transfer to other characters.

Also some rolls on the chat window, all those 6 are just luck. Clicking on [+crit] will take the result and roll the dice again.

A bunch of screenshots
https://imgur.com/a/nuktH0q
An hour long tutorial just on character creation (OLD)
Spoiler
Updates

2.5 (17/7/2020): Updated to 1.7 and added overlays, lots of performance, quality of life and design updates, PC stats are now stored on a library token so there is no need to keep track of changes.
2.4.3 (24/5/2020): More quality of life and design improvements, dice sounds, and improvements on character creation wizard and compendium
2.3.1 (28/4/2020): Quality of life and design improvements, as well as a few extra tools
2.0 (11/4/2020): Complete rework, updated to 1.6
1.1 (19/11/2019): Updated to 1.5.7 and added GM Macros
Last edited by rtakehara on Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:24 pm, edited 14 times in total.

rtakehara
Cave Troll

Re: Rod's D&D 5e Framework

Post by rtakehara »

Forgot the download link and didn't find a way to edit the post.

Campaign File
Compendium Folder

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Once you have 2 posts approved you can edit.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

This looks quite promising! I'm not playing 5e any more but this looks quite comprehensive. Nice work.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

rtakehara
Cave Troll

Post by rtakehara »

aliasmask wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:25 am
Once you have 2 posts approved you can edit.
I imagined it could be something like that, thanks for clarifying!

rtakehara
Cave Troll

Post by rtakehara »

Full Bleed wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:28 am
This looks quite promising! I'm not playing 5e any more but this looks quite comprehensive. Nice work.

wolph42 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:35 am
I think thats one of the most impressive 'first posts' I've ever seen :D

Nice work!
Thanks! since most virtual tools for RPGs look so bad in my opinion (fantasy grounds, donjon, myth-weavers, drive thru RPG, maptool itself...) I was starting to think It wasn't considered important, but at least its impressive heh?

digiacom
Cave Troll

Post by digiacom »

Wow, what an amazing looking framework, so clean and well done. Thanks, and great work!
a.k.a. Melek on Discord.
Check out my Simple 5e Framework!

digiacom
Cave Troll

Post by digiacom »

Meant to add, if you update to 1.5.7 you can add your GM-only macros to the new GM panel :D
a.k.a. Melek on Discord.
Check out my Simple 5e Framework!

rtakehara
Cave Troll

Post by rtakehara »

digiacom wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:26 pm
Meant to add, if you update to 1.5.7 you can add your GM-only macros to the new GM panel :D
Oh yeah, I saw that and it interested me but my players are not too tech savvy so I didn't want to rush them into updating hehehe DM problems imr?

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Hey, that's impressive! I read your Discord message that you have some design background and wanted it to show in your framework — it certainly does! This is very nicely put together, with great looking HTML panels (that by itself is a big accomplishment!), consistently sized buttons, a nicely color coordinated button collection, and so on.

Very, very nice! Congrats on your creation, and thank you for sharing!

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Azhrei wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:23 pm
Hey, that's impressive! I read your Discord message that you have some design background and wanted it to show in your framework — it certainly does! This is very nicely put together, with great looking HTML panels (that by itself is a big accomplishment!), consistently sized buttons, a nicely color coordinated button collection, and so on.

Very, very nice! Congrats on your creation, and thank you for sharing!
are you buttering him up to ask him to do a UI redesign of MT :wink: (cause it surely could use one :D )

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

wolph42 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:26 pm
are you buttering him up to ask him to do a UI redesign of MT :wink: (cause it surely could use one :D )
No, no, I would never put someone on the spot like that. I just wanted to give him every opportunity to volunteer. :D

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Azhrei wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:43 pm
wolph42 wrote:
No, no, I would never put someone on the spot like that. I just wanted to give him every opportunity to volunteer. :D
👍

rtakehara
Cave Troll

Post by rtakehara »

Azhrei wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:43 pm
wolph42 wrote:
Well, what can I say, I am really bad at getting cues, my mind goes like this:
"Hey, that's impressive!" - oh gee, thanks!
"are you buttering him up?" - haha that's funny
"I would never put someone on the spot like that."- wait, something really subtle is going on
"I just wanted to give him every opportunity to volunteer" - ohh I cracked the code, its an opportunity to volunteer, I am so clever

But yeah, If you need help with a redesign, I am in 100%, I even did some mock-ups for the chat window just to see if it would look better, but I deleted it thinking "I saw tutorials from 2013, they looked the same, this is not changing any time soon"

Return to “D&D 5e Frameworks”