Rod's D&D 5e Framework

Framework(s) for D&D 5e.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

DiscoShimmy
Kobold

Re: Rod's D&D 5e Framework

Post by DiscoShimmy »

Trying to add new spells but they don't want to format properly. I have no clue what's going on.

*Divination cantrip*
**Classes:** Cleric, Druid
**Casting Time:** 1 action
**Range:** Touch
**Components:** V, S
**Duration:** Concentration, up to 1 minute
comes out as
Guidance

Divination cantrip
Classes: Cleric, Druid
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch Components: V, S
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

but then I do my own spell from XGE
*1st-level Abjuration(Ritual)*
**Classes:** Cleric
**Casting Time:** 1 hour
**Range:** Touch
**Components:** V, S , M (25 gp of powdered silver which the spell consumes)
**Duration:** Instantaneous

and get

Ceremony

1st-level Abjuration(Ritual) Classes: Cleric Casting Time: 1 hour Range: Touch Components: V, S , M (25 gp of powdered silver which the spell consumes) Duration: Instantaneous

Is there an invisible character I'm missing?
------------------------------------------------------------
As well is there any sort of tutorial on custom races/subclasses? I don't know how to make the thing 'pick' from a language set and there doesn't seem to be a box to create a custom subclass unless I'm blind.

RedDef
Kobold

Post by RedDef »

Hi,

I think you must put two spaces characters (with the space bar) at the end of each lines.

Use the same method for list and for all text with no separating line.

Ex:
*Divination cantrip*(2 spaces)
**Classes:** Cleric, Druid(2 spaces)
**Casting Time:** 1 action(2 spaces)
**Range:** Touch(2 spaces)
**Components:** V, S(2 spaces)
**Duration:** Concentration, up to 1 minute(no need for spaces because there is a separating line under this one)

text blahblah 1 (2 spaces again)
text blahblah 2

hope it help.

moonmilk
Kobold

Post by moonmilk »

I had a similar issue. I think I added two extra spaces after each line to fix it. Try that.

Also, don't forget you can use the DDBeyond importer to import monsters AND spells. So if you're having issues adding spells manually, just use the importer.

Here's how to add a new class and subclass

https://youtu.be/ve4jUajdD7g?t=1031
Last edited by moonmilk on Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DiscoShimmy
Kobold

Post by DiscoShimmy »

Thank you so much Moonmilk. This is exactly what I was looking for. I didn't realize 2.4.4 and 2.5.3 had such a similar UI except when it doesn't.

Addendum:
Well i watched the video. He made a Tabaxi (the race I'm working on) but he doesn't actually input any of the values for creation like ability boosts or language choices.... so that's kind of useless.

moonmilk
Kobold

Post by moonmilk »

I'm not sure what issue you're having or what you're asking. If I add a Tabaxi to my race list, I can choose it in the character creation. It won't automatically fill in languages, ability boosts, etc but the framework asks me for that information. The framework also asks for all that info when selecting Custom race. Maybe you need to update the framework? Check out the other Youtube tutorials since they might have answers to other questions. Also, rewatch the tutorial I sent - you might have missed a step. I know I did when I was first trying to add Artificer to my class list.

jrthom12
Kobold

Post by jrthom12 »

Moonmilk,

Great framework/campaign. My group is using Maptool for Curse of Strahd. When I open the campaign, and save it for my group, I created a character and I only see one background (acolyte). I downloaded the compendium file too and saw the other backgrounds, how do I import them? Right now we only use MT for the map, token, and dice rolling. Your framework will make everything else easier. The players currently send me their character sheets via email.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

James

moonmilk
Kobold

Post by moonmilk »

Hey jrthom12! I'm not the creator of this framework. That would be @rtakehara! I agree though, it is a great framework! :)

I actually had no idea about the folder with the other backgrounds. You can drag and drop those rptok files into your campaign and you'll have the background info right there, when you select the token and click the macro. Other than that, I'm not sure how else you'd import the backgrounds. Currently, I manually enter Background information. Now, I'm also curious if we can use these backgrounds to expand the compendium somehow.

Anyway, rtakehara goes over how to manually add Backgrounds in his tutorial.

https://youtu.be/ve4jUajdD7g?t=3550

Hope it helps!

rtakehara
Cave Troll

Post by rtakehara »

jrthom12 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:46 am
Moonmilk,

Great framework/campaign. My group is using Maptool for Curse of Strahd. When I open the campaign, and save it for my group, I created a character and I only see one background (acolyte). I downloaded the compendium file too and saw the other backgrounds, how do I import them? Right now we only use MT for the map, token, and dice rolling. Your framework will make everything else easier. The players currently send me their character sheets via email.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

James
Wait, by downloaded the compendium you mean the "SRD Compendium.json"? because if it is, it doesn't have any background other than the one in the SRD, if there is, it's probably empty. To add new backgrounds, go to the framework Settings, then under Character Sheet, click backgrounds and add them to the list (separated by commas), then refresh the Compendium (F12) and they will be there, just click on them and edit them with all the content

rtakehara
Cave Troll

Post by rtakehara »

RedDef wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:38 pm
Hi,

I think you must put two spaces characters (with the space bar) at the end of each lines.

Use the same method for list and for all text with no separating line.

Ex:
*Divination cantrip*(2 spaces)
**Classes:** Cleric, Druid(2 spaces)
**Casting Time:** 1 action(2 spaces)
**Range:** Touch(2 spaces)
**Components:** V, S(2 spaces)
**Duration:** Concentration, up to 1 minute(no need for spaces because there is a separating line under this one)

text blahblah 1 (2 spaces again)
text blahblah 2

hope it help.
Precisely, the framework uses Markdown syntax, for more information on what you can do with it, check this guide, or this one for custom links specific for the framework like spells, weapons, monsters, dice rolls...

jrthom12
Kobold

Post by jrthom12 »

the downloaded file is Compendium.zip. was not the SRD Compendium.json. I clicked the link in an earlier post and it downloaded both the most recent camp file and compendium.

RedDef
Kobold

Post by RedDef »

rtakehara wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:35 pm

Yeah, I've thougth about doing that, and it's simple enouth that I can get it done on next version even
Thank you !

Currently, i make a modification in the Magic Items table (Magic Item@Lib:Tables) for my campaign version : i extend the categories you made (weapons, armor, shields and items) with potions, rings, wands and staffs (like the ones in the DMG). I prefer this sorting method rather than a list of all objects in alphabetical order.

Suggestion : may be it's a good idea to do the same with the bestiary ? create categories (NPCs, beasts, Dragons, Undeads, etc.) like the ones in the MM.
rtakehara wrote:

That, on the other hand, doesn't seem like a simple task lol, mainly because text data is all over the place, but also because I have no idea how to even start... is l18n a file type, or does it have a default structure? or can it just be a json object.
I understand. Unfortunately, I'm not good enough with java script... :cry:
But may be an idea is to create a function with a "ISO language" argument (like "fr-FR", "pt-PT", "it-IT", etc.), "en-EN" by default, pointing to a reference table (or a macro file) with this ISO name and containing all the translations...This function should be placed next to all translatable terms. But may be all that is totally silly idea...

Calling on international java script geniuses to help us ! This framework deserves the effort !
rtakehara wrote:

Another potential problem is some of the automation need an specific sintax, so that's gotta be taken into account. Though that's a problem for the translator, not for me, I guess, but I do have to get the Regular Expressions to take that into account.
So far, the only regular expressions I pay attention to are those for spells and stats. I kept all the original technical data (versatile, two-hands, etc.) in front of items like weapons like this :
Dague
*Simple Weapon, Melee Weapon*
2 gp, 1 lb.
[1d4 perforant](roll "1d4+for|dex") - finesse, light, thrown (20/60 ft.)

---

(Dagger)

*Armes courantes de corps à corps*
2 po, 500 g
Finesse, légère, lancer (portée 6 m/18 m)
(etc.)
So your automation engine work and my players have all the informations in French.

So far my main goal was to translate the whole database (spells, monsters, feats, classes, etc.). I just finished translating the bestiary and adding all the data from the PHB (for my campaign non SRD). Now, all is done and this is my main file to work on. All the future versions of your Framework will be based on this translated Campaign file. And now, i can worked on the automation engine and the regular expressions or details like the imperial system vs metric system...

To avoid starting all over again each time, and to facilitate my translation work of the interface, i consult your changelog to identified the changes you made. It's a very precious help for potential translators. (But may be a more detailed changelog with the name of the macro you modified will be very useful. I know it would be a big effort for me to ask you...so don't mind ! :wink: ) About that, what is the 2.5.3 changelog ?

Thanks again.

youngbab
Kobold

Post by youngbab »

Hey there. I've trying to figure out this framework (and maptools in general) this past weekend, and it's been a bit of a struggle. I've been following the 2.4 tutorial as best as I can, but a number of problems have cropped upped. I'll just list a few major ones I've had so far.
  • I tried following this tutorial for creating a character. All went well up until after the character was created. There's no "new character" link in the compendium menu anymore, and attempting to use the New PC function in the Player Menu only closes the window. The 1st Level function opens the wizard fine but the Character Setup list is empty, even if a Pc tagged token is on the board.
  • I can't find any answer on how to choose who can see what Notebooks, or if it's even possible.
  • The dice buttons in the Campaign window don't do anything.
Feels like this framework is super comprehensive but I just can't get it work as much as I'd love to. Any help with all of this would be greatly appreciated.

rpt-steve
Kobold

Post by rpt-steve »

youngbab wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:58 pm
  • I tried following this tutorial for creating a character. All went well up until after the character was created. There's no "new character" link in the compendium menu anymore, and attempting to use the New PC function in the Player Menu only closes the window. The 1st Level function opens the wizard fine but the Character Setup list is empty, even if a Pc tagged token is on the board.
I assume you're using the most recent version of the framework (2.5.4) even though you're looking at an older tutorial? In any case, I agree the character creation system appears to be broken right now - or at least I couldn't figure it out either. All I see in the Selection window when I have a newly created PC token selected is "Make token" and that just seems to spawn another token that also isn't the PC I created.
youngbab wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:58 pm
  • The dice buttons in the Campaign window don't do anything.
They should output a die roll to the Chat window when clicked. There's no immediate feedback in the UI if you don't have the chat window open/visible though, so I can understand why it might seem like nothing's happening.

Broadly speaking, most macros output to the chat window if they don't open a pop up window of their own. That's also where you'll see error messages if something in the code is actually breaking.

MapTool in general certainly takes some getting used to, but Rod's framework has done some truly incredible things, at least for 5e gaming. There are still certainly some kinks to work out, but I love it all the same.

rpt-steve
Kobold

Post by rpt-steve »

Okay, I've been playing around with the character creation system a bit more and I think I've got it figured out. (in 2.5.4):
1. drag your character token onto the map
2. select your token (it's not enough to be on the map, it has be selected)
3. on the menu go to New PC, you should get a pop up asking if you want to make your token into a PC. Click OK
-> You may notice that the token's name has been changed to "Lib:TokenName"
4. keeping the token selected, to go the menu and choose 1st Level to open the character creation wizard
5. go through the wizard, filling eveything out.
6. once you're done and the wizard closes, de-select the token.
7. re-select your token (this refreshes the macro list)
8. On the macro menu, choose "Make Token" (this creates the actual PC token, named Token Name)
9. select the new Token Name (the "Macro" menu from the LIb token should now be "Statblock" and if you open that you can see your full character sheet and spell list, etc. Good to go!

The PC Token can be moved around from map to map and everything still seems to work, but the Lib:TokenName token needs to stay on the map it was created upon (or possibly on the 01.Start map - that's the one I created it on anyway.) Moving the LIb:TokenName token to another map makes the PC Token throw errors instead of working. It's pretty common practice in MapTool to have a "Library map" with a bunch of "source" tokens you can copy/paste, so I guess that's what we're doing here. Create the character on the library map and then copy/paste the PC Token to the game map to play.

I'm still working on how to add new races/subclasses. I can shove them in the list in Settings, but that doesn't account for all the options pop ups that the built in SRD races/classes provide during character creation.

rpt-steve
Kobold

Post by rpt-steve »

Hi rTakehara!

So, I'm having an odd issue with importing feats. I can create a json of all the feats I want in the same format as your framework uses (based on exporting what's there by default). I can import this json and everything seems to go swimmingly. However, when I go to look at these imported feats in teh compendium, I just get the name of the feat on top of a blank window.

If I click "Edit" to edit the feat, int eh edit window I can see the full description and sources as I provided them are there, and when I click "Save" then a second copy of the feat appears in the list which DOES display properly. But I apparently need to go through and do this for every feat I previously tried to import to make them work right.

If I just close maptool and reboot, the feats are still blank and the descriptions are now gone when I try to edit them.

Is there a step I'm missing to "rebuild" the feats (much like "Build Table" for monsters?)

Return to “D&D 5e Frameworks”