1.4 Functional Direction and Assignments

Developer discussion regarding MapTool 1.4

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Posting now open to all registered forum users.
JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Re: 1.4 Functional Direction and Assignments

Post by JamzTheMan »

I'd +1 that request...
-Jamz

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

wolph42 wrote:Wtf is deep looping?
I'm guessing either looping more than 1000, the MT limit or perhaps code nesting greater than 2.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

wolph42 wrote:Wtf is deep looping?
Going more than two layers down. You know, that stuff you trick the parser into accepting ;)

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

Sorry everyone I have been out of the loop for a bit with work and then running myself into the ground so much that I was ill for a while there.

What I want to do is at the end of this month release 1.4.0 and then start 1.4.1 so we can put some of the changes that have been made that are on the "eh this might make things a little incompatible" side.
So the things I need to do for this is create the jnlp build, but I also wanted to give people time to get any contributions they were working on that they are sure are not going to cause compatibility issues ready.
Also to find out if changes to rplib/parser/dicelib etc libraries are required for any contributions people want for 1.4.0 and if so I will need to get them onto git hub and part of the build process.

What I am thinking of is 1.4.0.x is the "stable" you can use every day build that is compatible with 1.3 and allows people to use a more update to date version of Java. 1.4.1 will introduce incompatibilities and be
more of a development branch, any bugs fixed in this version or new features that are stable and don't mess with compatibility can be applied to 1.4.0.x as well. And then once 1.4.1 has a bunch of features that
are stable create a 1.4.2 stable branch and a 1.4.3 development branch and so on and so on. In I hope an attempt to get some releases out quicker. Anyway I am open to suggestions/comments on this or other ideas.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Sounds good.

My Isometric branch is currently backward/forward compatible, so that can be added to 1.4.0. It did raise some questions about the template tools, for which possible solutions might break compatibility, so future changes in 1.4.1 would be great.

I believe JamzTheMan has some code to allow us to add a "Save As 1.3b91" function, which would be great to get into 1.4.1 and might make the whole move a lot less painful.

I've also got a few things I want to look at that require the other libraries, so can't wait to see them added.

Glad you are feeling better! :mrgreen:

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

The best thing that can be done for MapTool is to include the JRE with the download like the MOTE people have done. Do you think we can get this done for 1.4.0 release?

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

I believe Jamz already has a proof of concept (done for TokenTool) which according to the assignments spreadsheet is targeted for Build 01.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Hey Craig, I know EXACTLY what you mean. RL Work + Sick sucks... been sick myself for 2 weeks now... :(

Can I suggest one addendum to the release plan?

1.4.0 is a "new features" release, and with our small test base I'd be surprised if there isn't at least a bug or two? Lets leave 1.4.1 for bug fixes only to 1.4.0. And then 1.4.2 start adding "new features that may break compatibility".

I'm still mid patch that changes a few things across the board and combines some missing patches dating back to b89-b90. I'll try and finish that up this month.

And to the "Package JRE". It's easy enough for "Windows" and can probably do Linux easy enough (I have a Debian file server I can test on, and Craig can help as well" but for Mac, I haven't a clue. Any Mac Devs out there? And what JRE should we use at this point? I assume latest 1.7?
-Jamz

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

Just an update.
While testing the build I created yesterday I discovered that the Launcher does not work correctly for the Mac OS X .app (it just exits with no message).
So look for 1.4.0 early next week once I have sorted that out.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Excellent! Will it include my Isometric branch? I see the pull request is still open. Its backward compatible, if that helps ;)

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

32.4 ParserExceptions handled incorrectly
Craig recently made the Parser Library available so I was able to debug this issue and I have submitted a fix for this bug.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Terrific. Thanks!
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Return to “MapTool 1.4”