Eclipse IDE Install for Maptool 1.4 for a clean Windows PC

Developer discussion regarding MapTool 1.4

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Posting now open to all registered forum users.
Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: Eclipse IDE Install for Maptool 1.4 for a clean Windows

Post by Full Bleed »

Jagged wrote: Build the Maptool Gradle Project
1. Open Eclipse.
2. Select File and Import
3. Select "Gradle Project" and click "Next"
4. Browse to your \maptool directory
5. Click the "Build Model" button.
I get to this point and I get:
Unexpected error: see error log for details
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

What version of Eclipse are you using?

I take it you haven't found the log in question?

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Jagged wrote:What version of Eclipse are you using?
The latest one linked from the same article: https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/eclipse-packages/
I take it you haven't found the log in question?
It's a pretty massive log... the last error in it is this:
!ENTRY org.springsource.ide.eclipse.gradle.core 4 0 2018-03-06 23:45:14.971
!MESSAGE Could not determine java version from '9.0.4'.
!STACK 0
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Could not determine java version from '9.0.4'.
at org.gradle.api.JavaVersion.toVersion(JavaVersion.java:63)
at org.gradle.api.JavaVersion.current(JavaVersion.java:72)
at org.gradle.tooling.internal.consumer.ConnectorServices.assertJava6(ConnectorServices.java:58)
at org.gradle.tooling.internal.consumer.ConnectorServices.createCancellationTokenSource(ConnectorServices.java:40)
at org.gradle.tooling.GradleConnector.newCancellationTokenSource(GradleConnector.java:74)
at org.springsource.ide.eclipse.gradle.ui.util.UIJobUtil$1.<init>(UIJobUtil.java:51)
at org.springsource.ide.eclipse.gradle.ui.util.UIJobUtil.withProgressDialog(UIJobUtil.java:49)
at org.springsource.ide.eclipse.gradle.ui.wizards.GradleImportWizardPageOne.populateProjectTree(GradleImportWizardPageOne.java:493)
at org.springsource.ide.eclipse.gradle.ui.wizards.GradleImportWizardPageOne.access$11(GradleImportWizardPageOne.java:491)
at org.springsource.ide.eclipse.gradle.ui.wizards.GradleImportWizardPageOne$9.widgetSelected(GradleImportWizardPageOne.java:429)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(TypedListener.java:249)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:86)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.sendEvent(Display.java:4428)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1079)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:4238)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3817)
at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.runEventLoop(Window.java:818)
at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.open(Window.java:794)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.WizardHandler$Import.executeHandler(WizardHandler.java:158)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.WizardHandler.execute(WizardHandler.java:290)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.HandlerProxy.execute(HandlerProxy.java:291)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.E4HandlerProxy.execute(E4HandlerProxy.java:92)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.MethodRequestor.execute(MethodRequestor.java:55)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.invokeUsingClass(InjectorImpl.java:305)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.invoke(InjectorImpl.java:239)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.contexts.ContextInjectionFactory.invoke(ContextInjectionFactory.java:132)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.commands.internal.HandlerServiceHandler.execute(HandlerServiceHandler.java:152)
at org.eclipse.core.commands.Command.executeWithChecks(Command.java:494)
at org.eclipse.core.commands.ParameterizedCommand.executeWithChecks(ParameterizedCommand.java:487)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.commands.internal.HandlerServiceImpl.executeHandler(HandlerServiceImpl.java:210)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.LegacyHandlerService.executeCommand(LegacyHandlerService.java:390)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.actions.CommandAction.runWithEvent(CommandAction.java:151)
at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.handleWidgetSelection(ActionContributionItem.java:565)
at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.lambda$4(ActionContributionItem.java:397)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:86)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.sendEvent(Display.java:4428)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1079)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:4238)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3817)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine$5.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1150)
at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:336)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1039)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.E4Workbench.createAndRunUI(E4Workbench.java:153)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.lambda$3(Workbench.java:680)
at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:336)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:594)
at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:148)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:151)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:134)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:104)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:388)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:243)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:653)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:590)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1499)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1472)
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Ooh. I take it you are using Java 9 then. That looks like gradle having issues with Java 9 :(

I shall play and get back to you (I haven't bothered with 9 yet)

[EDIT]
If you want to specify which version of Java Eclipse should use you can use the -vm parameter.

As a developer I have multiple instances of Eclipse installed on my PC and 1 version of Java 6, 2 of 7 and 4 of 8 ;)
When I install a new version of Eclipse I always keep the old and specify a separate config and separate workspace for the new by running Eclipse with a command line like:

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\eclipse.luna\eclipse.exe" -configuration c:\data\.luna  -vm "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_40\bin\javaw.exe" -data C:\Data\Luna
Last edited by Jagged on Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Jagged wrote:Ooh. I take it you are using Java 9 then. That looks like gradle having issues with Java 9 :(

I shall play and get back to you (I haven't bothered with 9 yet)
Yeah, I installed it because this page said:
note that as of the 1.4.1.9 development build, MapTool requires Java 9+

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

You might just be unlucky with your timings :(

Azhrei is putting the 1.4.1.9 build as we speak and I know he hasn't merged everything together yet. So the 1.4.1.9 build isn't ready yet.

PS: Any development and/or building I am currently doing I am doing from the "1.4.1-dev-branch" branch which I am running with Java 8

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Jagged wrote:You might just be unlucky with your timings :(

Azhrei is putting the 1.4.1.9 build as we speak and I know he hasn't merged everything together yet. So the 1.4.1.9 build isn't ready yet.

PS: Any development and/or building I am currently doing I am doing from the "1.4.1-dev-branch" branch which I am running with Java 8
Ok.

To add some additional info to the install process when following the directions.

1) In the first part of the "Install Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers" section, adding the default path to the Java 9 JDK:
-vm
C:\Program Files\Java\jdk-9.0.4\bin\javaw.exe
causes Eclipse to fail to load. So had to skip that step.

2) Under the "Install Eclipse Gradle Plugins." sections... one of the files (I want to say something from "Sourcetree"?) does not download and install.

3) Under the "Build the Maptool Gradle Project" section it says to select "Gradle Project". It really says "Select. Chose Import Wizard" and there is a list of subfolders, two of which are "Gradle" and "Gradle (STS)". There is no "Build Model" option under "Gradle" so I selected "Gradle (STS)." However...

4) When loading Eclipse it warns:
The STS Gradle plugin is under minimal maintenance and may be discontinued in the future.
A document explaining the migration process from STS Gradle to Buildship can be found here.
Not sure what, if any, of those issues is a contributing factor.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

So I use Luna at home and have the Gradle plugin linked above and I am using Oxygen at work (without Gradle).

I tried installing Oxygen at home last night and Gradle is now built in so you should not need to install anything else.

Having said that, I was not able to import Maptool or Rplib into Oxygen. :(

When I was talking about the VM parameter I was going to suggest you use Java 8 rather than 9. I haven't tried running Eclipse with 9, so I would not try that yet.

I will update this thread when I get a chance to work on this. I am not sure whether there is an issue with Gradle and Oxygen or I am just doing it wrong :(

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Jagged wrote:So I use Luna at home and have the Gradle plugin linked above and I am using Oxygen at work (without Gradle).

I tried installing Oxygen at home last night and Gradle is now built in so you should not need to install anything else.

Having said that, I was not able to import Maptool or Rplib into Oxygen. :(
I did manage to "open" Maptool using File>Open Projects from File System... but I didn't think that was the correct way to open it and suspected it may have consequences that I'm just ignorant of.
When I was talking about the VM parameter I was going to suggest you use Java 8 rather than 9. I haven't tried running Eclipse with 9, so I would not try that yet.
I assumed I'd have to use 9 if I wanted to fork off the latest dev build... which I thought was probably where I should be starting...
I will update this thread when I get a chance to work on this. I am not sure whether there is an issue with Gradle and Oxygen or I am just doing it wrong :(
OK. Thanks for looking into it.

This is, honestly, the first time I've ever attempted to take a look at the MT source. I always suspected that when I did I'd run into these kinds of issues (that is, issues that exceed my java development pay grade)... :/

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

With regard to Java 9: Azhrei is still testing the build under Java 9 and he said his last attempted failed. So I wouldn't try with Java 9 just yet.

Eclipse will happily work with multiple versions of Java, so you can run Eclipse with one version of Java and launch an application with another. Which is fairly typical behaviour tbh.

I would launch Eclipse with Java 8, even if the project you are going to build is in Java 9.
You add additional versions of Java into Eclipse from the Window > Preferences option. Then Java > Installed JREs
InstalledJREs.png
InstalledJREs.png (48.13 KiB) Viewed 16679 times

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Well that was a bit feces :(

I had another play tonight and managed to download, install and run Maptool in a clean Eclipse Oxygen workspace in a couple of different ways.
BUT it was a pain in the arse and I am not sure yet, which is the best to recommend. So I will play some more before I make any recommendations. But all done with Java 8, not touched 9 yet.

The built in Gradle Buildship tool is nowhere near as good as the one I previously installed from SpringSource (and I think they are the same people) :(

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

"crud"? Really?

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Jagged wrote:"crud"? Really?
Heh. It's like living in "The Good Place." ;)

Heck, I see "AF" used in mainstream news articles and reviews these day.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Full Bleed wrote:
Jagged wrote:"crud"? Really?
Heh. It's like living in "The Good Place." ;)

Heck, I see "AF" used in mainstream news articles and reviews these day.
Crud! Why can't I say crud?!

I love "The Good Place" lol, such a twist

Regarding setting up Maptool. Personally my goto is usually doing it via command line first. Checkout via git, do a gradle build. If all goes well then do a gradle Eclipse to build all the eclipse project files...

Of course, I've tweaked it a bit more in my fork so the gradle inserts a few "natures" like java & gradle and also remove restrictions for the JS libs. I regularly use "gradle cleanEclipse Eclipse" to reset things after some major changes.

All in all I haven't had any issues. Note: Java 9 will require pretty new version of Gradle (it'll complain and tell you) and also some older libs may throw errors because it's NOT java 1.9 but rather Java 9 so some older version checking fails for those libs.

Also, I don't *think* at this point 1.4.1.9 will "require" java 9 but rather work in java 9. Unless Az uses jlink and goes modular (not required) it should still work in 1.8. (unless there are something else new he is adding for Mac or something so take it with a grain of salt. I know right now my fork will work with either)
-Jamz

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

What version of Eclipse are you using?

I didn't have a problem with Luna and the STS plugin, but Oxygen and the built in Buildship tool does not work anything like as well.
Buildship Import objects to the top level project being called "Maptool" and then a sub project being called "maptool". But if you import the two sub projects separately you don't get the ability to run the gradle tasks from within Eclipse.

The Buildship plugin seems like quite a backward step imo :(

Return to “MapTool 1.4”