Token VBL issue in 1.4.1.7

Developer discussion regarding MapTool 1.4

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Posting now open to all registered forum users.
xavram
Dragon

Token VBL issue in 1.4.1.7

Post by xavram »

On our game this weekend, I had a map with a bunch of squares on it. Each square had its own Token VBL (complete square, nothing weird) on it and all were set to "Always visible". They were all on the background layer.

However...unless the player actually had line of sight to the block, they did NOT show up on the map. Shouldn't setting "Always visible" make them show up no matter what? There was no fog on this map, just vision set to Day.

Worse yet...even when you could see the block, sometimes zooming in/out caused it to disappear. This was not consistent from one player to another, as I could look at their screens and see that one person could see the block and one couldn't. The VBL was there (you could see the white vision lines of the players) but the texture for the block itself was just...gone. So all you saw was the background of the map. Then you zoomed in/out and it appeared.

Is this a known issue?

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Re: Token VBL issue in 1.4.1.7

Post by JamzTheMan »

Perhaps "Always Visible" is a bad name. I'm open to suggestions...

What it really means is "show this token even if covered by VBL IF another token can see it". And by "see it" that is where "Tolerance" comes in, defaulting to 2/9ths. Divide the token square into 9 squares (3x3) and if the token can see 2 out of 9, it pops up.

The ideal usage of this is putting VBL on a door or statue or roof. But if it has VBL on said token covering the whole token, then players can't "see" the door/statue/roof so using the above fixes that. 2/9th's is a good middle ground. Setting the Tolerance to 1 makes it show up if any part is seen (even a sliver which is too much sometimes, YMMV). Setting it to, say, 7, makes it rarely show but useful for really large objects like roofs.
-Jamz

xavram
Dragon

Re: Token VBL issue in 1.4.1.7

Post by xavram »

well, I had the Tolerance set to 1...and the player was right in front of the block and couldn't see it.

But like I said, if they scrolled their view in/out, at a certain point, they would see it.

Return to “MapTool 1.4”