Undo VBL without erasing

Developer discussion regarding MapTool 1.4

Moderators: Azhrei, dorpond, trevor

Forum rules
Posting now open to all registered forum users.
Fevix
Kobold

Undo VBL without erasing

Post by Fevix »

I have an unsteady hand (and heavy fingers that like to click when I dont want them to) and occasionally make mistakes. While setting up VBL, I occasionally misclick and draw a line I didn't mean to draw, occasionally crossing other lines in the process.

Is there a way to undo the most recently drawn VBL line? Erasing isn't anywhere NEAR optimal, as it would also erase other parts that ARE how I want them, forcing me to redo several lines with every mistake.

aliasmask
Deity

Re: Undo VBL without erasing

Post by aliasmask »

Unless I'm drawing caves (and even then) I try to stick to the grid by holding down the ctrl key. Unfortunately, there is no undo key for drawn VBL but there are a couple of methods for placing VBL that may help you. There's an alignment tool to help you place your existing maps to match the grid. I also like to draw my vbl outside of the wall (on the exteriors) to give yourself some wiggle room for mistakes and imprecise freehand drawing. Once I have my map aligned I will change the map scale to 1/2 the original and draw my VBL, then change it back. I have an example here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21877#p225098

Another method for drawing VBL is the cutout method. You cover the whole map in VBL and then erase the blocks you want exposed.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Fevix wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:52 am
I have an unsteady hand (and heavy fingers that like to click when I dont want them to) and occasionally make mistakes. While setting up VBL, I occasionally misclick and draw a line I didn't mean to draw, occasionally crossing other lines in the process.

Is there a way to undo the most recently drawn VBL line? Erasing isn't anywhere NEAR optimal, as it would also erase other parts that ARE how I want them, forcing me to redo several lines with every mistake.
It would be nice if VBL had a way to delete individual elements like the Draw Explorer allows for when drawing, but you can't.

While there is no actual undo, you can undo the element you're currently laying before it's "permanent." If you start a VBL shape (left click) and are sizing it and realize that you started at the wrong spot, you can hit the ESC button on your keyboard to remove the shape you're currently drawing (if you do it before you click a second time to lay the shape down.)

In fact, I always draw my VBL in with my left index finger on the ESC key and left thumb on the Shift key. My right hand on the mouse to lay down the VBL. I'm always ESCaping out of lines and shapes and repositioning. It becomes second nature.

Pro Tip: You can also use the CTRL key to snap VBL shapes to grid.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Along with the good advice from AM and FB, try to work in small chunks. Especially you are putting in VBL by drawing lines around each room/corridor.

Plus save early, save often.

Return to “MapTool 1.4”