Multiple Connections to one Router

Developer discussion regarding MapTool 1.4

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Posting now open to all registered forum users.
simursmack
Kobold

Multiple Connections to one Router

Post by simursmack »

Hello All-
I'm new to Maptool and I hope to use it to run some games in the near future. I have been able to start a server and get one of my players to connect as a test - so far, so good. We are planning to use my computer as the GM computer, and there will be other computers connected to my computer running on the same router. I assume those computers can connect via LAN and there will not be an issue with those computers. Please let me know if any anticipated issues will arise that you can foresee. However, what I am more curious about, is that two of my players will be connected to the same router (than is not my router) and I am wondering if both of those computers will be able to connect via IP address and port number. Will they have port forwarding issues/connection issues as two computers connected to the same router (which is not the GM router)?

We have not tried multiple connections out yet, but I am just trying to head off any possible issues.

Thanks!

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Multiple Connections to one Router

Post by aliasmask »

Port forwarding is for outside connections. Use LAN for the computers connected directly to the router. So, on the server computer you will have port forwarding to that computers internal ip. It's best that you reserve that ip so it doesn't change each time you connect to that router. This can be done on most router software.

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

What aliasmask said. I supposed there might be a router out there that will restrict the number of incoming connections on port forwarding by default, but I've never seen one (and I do this for al living). (Do you have port forwarding set up on the router?)

Players in the same room, when they connect to your server, should see it on the LAN tab for the Connect to Server window.

You can give remote players two options.

The easier one is to put some kind of name in the box labeled RPTools.net Alias when you start the server. Then they should see it on the RPTools.net tab when to go to Connect to Server.

Alternately, you can get your public IP address from Connection Information (on the File menu), and send them that (and the port). They can then use that to connect using the Direct tab.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

simursmack wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:50 pm
I assume those computers can connect via LAN and there will not be an issue with those computers.
Correct.
However, what I am more curious about, is that two of my players will be connected to the same router (than is not my router) and I am wondering if both of those computers will be able to connect via IP address and port number. Will they have port forwarding issues/connection issues as two computers connected to the same router (which is not the GM router)?
No, they won't. Their routers gives them different ip's on their internal network and their router treats them as separate connections to your address.

I'd have then do a "Direct" connect to your IP address/port.
We have not tried multiple connections out yet, but I am just trying to head off any possible issues.
It sounds like you've only tested an internal network connection (from someone connected to you router.) That connection does not rely on your port-forwarding being set up correctly.

Have you tested your address from an outside connection yet?

You can use http://canyouseeme.org/ to test your connection. If it can't see you no one outside your home network will be able to connect.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Return to “MapTool 1.4”