pc tokens vision and fog of war

Developer discussion regarding MapTool 1.4

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Posting now open to all registered forum users.
Conandy
Kobold

pc tokens vision and fog of war

Post by Conandy »

Hey, all. I am actually using the Nerps version, so hope my issues aren't different than if I were using the standard branch.

When ever I drag in a PC token (from a library of tokens already saved as .rptok files with properties, etc.), the program always sets the PC token's Vision to ON. Even if I have saved the token with vision turned off. It saves the type of vision just fine (normal, darkvision, etc.), but doesn't remember the vision:off property.

Right now I typically run my maps with just a manual GM revealed fog-of-war. I do NOT want my PC's tokens to auto-reveal the fog of war. It seems right now that the only way to make this work is if the tokens have vision:off. I have my maps set up to Vision = Off, too.

So, my questions:

1. Is there a way to tell Maptool not to auto turn on Vision when dragging in PC tokens?

2. Is there a way to tell Maptool not to allow PC tokens to reveal Fog of War? There is a checkbox to turn it off for the GM moves not to reveal FoW, but I can't find the same box for PCs.

3. Am I missing anything else? Seems like not allowing PC token movement to reveal FoW should be a pretty basic setting.

Andy
Andrew Grover

“Evil isn’t the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it’s a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference.” - Harry Dresden

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: pc tokens vision and fog of war

Post by Full Bleed »

Conandy wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:54 pm
1. Is there a way to tell Maptool not to auto turn on Vision when dragging in PC tokens?
Not sure I understand this one. Vision is set by the map: Map/Vision/Off-Day-Night
2. Is there a way to tell Maptool not to allow PC tokens to reveal Fog of War? There is a checkbox to turn it off for the GM moves not to reveal FoW, but I can't find the same box for PCs.

3. Am I missing anything else? Seems like not allowing PC token movement to reveal FoW should be a pretty basic setting.
If players can reveal vision and it's Auto-Revealing when they move it's because you've set it to when you start your server.

Uncheck "Players can reveal Vision" on your server.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Conandy
Kobold

Post by Conandy »

Full Bleed wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:03 pm
Conandy wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:54 pm
Not sure I understand this one. Vision is set by the map: Map/Vision/Off-Day-Night

If players can reveal vision and it's Auto-Revealing when they move it's because you've set it to when you start your server.

Uncheck "Players can reveal Vision" on your server.
RE: 1. The token itself has a checkbox in the Config tab for "has sight", after which you can tell it what kind of sight it has. But unchecked, I assume it means that this token doesn't have "sight" per se as far as the tool mechanics go. No matter how this box is checked when the token is saved out as an rptok file, if it is a PC token, it comes into the game with this turned on when you drag it in. But, based on the solution below, it may not be an issue.

RE: 2 and 3: I KNEW there was a checkbox somewhere! I forgot that it was on the Server startup screen! Thanks, Full Bleed!
Andrew Grover

“Evil isn’t the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it’s a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference.” - Harry Dresden

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Conandy wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:39 am
RE: 1. The token itself has a checkbox in the Config tab for "has sight", after which you can tell it what kind of sight it has. But unchecked, I assume it means that this token doesn't have "sight" per se as far as the tool mechanics go. No matter how this box is checked when the token is saved out as an rptok file, if it is a PC token, it comes into the game with this turned on when you drag it in. But, based on the solution below, it may not be an issue.
You're right. That's a bug. Albeit an somewhat irrelevant one since a token's sight is dependent on whether or not you have vision turned on for the map.

Regardless, it should heed the setting you select and save on deployment.
RE: 2 and 3: I KNEW there was a checkbox somewhere! I forgot that it was on the Server startup screen! Thanks, Full Bleed!
YW.

I'm sure there is a (relatively) good reason for that being on the server settings... but it sure would be simpler (and more consistent) if it was in the Preferences settings (preferably paired with the GM auto reveal option.)
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Return to “MapTool 1.4”