Connection Problems

Developer discussion regarding MapTool 1.4

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Posting now open to all registered forum users.
Light
Kobold

Connection Problems

Post by Light »

Hello guys.

I have got a big problem. When I am trying to connect to our Server I get stuck in the "connecting" window. Sometimes I can connect to the server but after around 10 - 30 minutes I lose the connection and I can't connect for about 30 min. I tried it on 2 different systems but same problems

Specs Windows PC:
CPU: Intel Core i7-4690 CPU 3.60GHz
RAM: 10,0 GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Drive: Tried on SSD and HDD
Java: 8.191
Connection: LAN

Specs MacBook Pro:
CPU: Intel Core i7 CPU 2.60GHz
RAM: 16,0 GB
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
Drive: SSD
Java: 8.191
Connection: Wifi

We are using maptool version: 1.4.0.5

Network:
Provider: Unitymedia
Router: Unitymedia connect box
Connected over Cable

Thx for reading

Phergus
Deity

Re: Connection Problems

Post by Phergus »

Welcome! Sorry to see that you are having connection issues. Thank you for providing all the detail you did.

It's interesting that you can sometimes connect for a brief period. When you do connect, does the operation of MapTool seem normal while you are connected?

The can't reconnect may be connected to the server believing you are still connected. If you get dropped, and have a way to let the GM know this, have him/her "boot" you via the Connections panel.

That you can connect for as much as 30 minutes, suggestions there is something about your provide or router that is causing this issue. If you can arrange it, first try connecting to a server hosted by someone else. See if the same problem happens. Second, coordinate with your GM for a time to test connections and then go to an Internet cafe or open WiFi hotspot with your laptop and connect from there.

That both your desktop and laptop have the same issue suggests that it is not a computer specific setting that is the problem. Unlikely, but does your router perhaps have absurdly short IP address lease times set on it? (Assuming you are using DHCP in your home network.)

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Something similar happens to me when using UPnP and that's why I use port forwarding. Have you tried port forwarding yet?

Light
Kobold

Post by Light »

Thank you for your response.

Okay, I will try another network. @Phergus

I don't have any idea how I port forward in our router/which settings I need to choose. I will attach some pictures of the router settings. @aliasmask

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

You'll want to chose Yes UDP/TCP option and 51234 for In and Out or change the MapTool port to 65535 when starting the server. Make sure the UPnP box is unchecked.

Normally, you have to set up an IP to direct traffic to your specific computer but try it this way first. If it doesn't work then set the source and destination to your local ip address. You may have to set up a reserved IP address for your computer which is usually another option on the router. It basically ties the MAC address to the IP address. Here's an example of mine. My router allows me to click the connection to set up rather than doing it manually as well.
Attachments
router connected devices example.jpg
router connected devices example.jpg (44.38 KiB) Viewed 6015 times

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

You don't need to do any port-forwarding to connect to someone else's server. That is only for when you host a server.

There should be nothing to configure on your end except making sure your firewall allows Java to connect to the internet. As you are already connecting, albeit briefly, that isn't the issue.

You need to try and make a connection from someplace other than your home network.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Doh, I thought he was hosting.

I did have a problem with WOW years ago maintaining a connection where it reset every hour pretty reliably. It turned out to be my router resetting the connection causing an interruption. If it's the same thing it will have something to do with the TTL (time to live) or the Lease Time to the connection, maybe. I say play with related settings and see if it makes a difference.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Phergus wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:56 pm
You don't need to do any port-forwarding to connect to someone else's server. That is only for when you host a server.

There should be nothing to configure on your end except making sure your firewall allows Java to connect to the internet. As you are already connecting, albeit briefly, that isn't the issue.

You need to try and make a connection from someplace other than your home network.
Since he's getting the same issue on a Mac and a Windows computer on the same network then the connection problem is probably with his ISP or his home network (router.) Connecting via another network will eliminate both culprits but won't really help him figure out which is the problem.

To eliminate the home network I'd try using a direct connection to your modem (not wireless and not through your router.) See if you can hold the connection to an MT server that way. If that is solid it's probably an issue with your router. If it's not, it's probably an issue with your ISP.

You also might want to go to DSLReports and try using some of their tools. Do a Line Quality and Smoke Ping test. And for about a buck you can have your line monitored for a week using their Line Monitoring tool.

Also, and this probably should have been asked first, are other people connecting to the server without any connection issues? If you don't know the answer to this, then I'd be far more inclined to believe that the issue is with the server kicking you... not you losing connection.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Light
Kobold

Post by Light »

Yes, other people from our group can join and doesn't get kicked every time. (about 4 - 6 People)

Return to “MapTool 1.4”