Maptools 1.4.1.8 Chinese Language Font Display Problem

Developer discussion regarding MapTool 1.4

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Posting now open to all registered forum users.
ChaosticMoon
Kobold

Maptools 1.4.1.8 Chinese Language Font Display Problem

Post by ChaosticMoon »

Hi all,

I tried to search for a solution online for this problem with no avail so I decide to make a post here. I recently started to host campaign again and switched from the 1.3 build to 1.4 build. However, I noticed that all Chinese fonts are displayed as squares in MT. I encountered this problem when I used the 1.3 build before but I was able to solve it with some customized theme file. i can no longer do that with the Jwrapper that 1.4 build uses.

Hopefully someone here can give me some pointers. Thanks!

Phergus
Deity

Re: Maptools 1.4.1.8 Chinese Language Font Display Problem

Post by Phergus »

If you grab the 1.4.1.8 zip version you'll be able to launch it with a custom theme and/or specify JVM arguments to call out language/local.

Code: Select all

-Duser.language=zh
-Duser.country=CN

ChaosticMoon
Kobold

Post by ChaosticMoon »

Well, I tried the argument, something pretty interesting happened.

So here's the thing, my operating system language is set to English. When I use the argument to open Maptool, maptool menu is now turned into boxes, but fonts in the token is reading the Chinese language setting. I suppose if I change my system language to Chinese everything would be displayed correctly, but is there any way to display the correct font while using English as the system language?

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Hmm. That used to work with previous versions. Maybe a font issue? Did you put a theme in there with it to force a font that includes the CJK characters?

I never actually used 1.4.1.8 and trying it now I'm using Java 10 so that may also be a factor to why some text in dialogs comes up correctly but the menus are all just boxes.

Return to “MapTool 1.4”