Player Token Properties Visibility

Developer discussion regarding MapTool 1.4

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Posting now open to all registered forum users.
Lord_Ashes
Kobold

Player Token Properties Visibility

Post by Lord_Ashes »

I have created a Basic token type which includes a number of properties for a D&D framework. Some of these I have set for owner visibility and others I have set for GM only visibility. Here is a short example:

Code: Select all

#HP
@maxHP
@AC
@AC_Flatfooted
@AC_Touch
@Attack_Magic
@Attack_Melee
@Attack_Range
@Init
@Speed
#Mod_STR
#Mod_DEX
#Mod_CON
#Mod_INT
#Mod_WIS
#Mod_CHA
#Mod_FOR
#Mod_REF
#Mod_WIL
However, when I Start Server and a player connects the player is able to click on his (owned) token and then select Edit and then in the Properties tab it seems to display all the properties including the ones marked for GM only. How do I prevent the user from seeing the Properties that are marked for GM only? I am using version 1.4.1.8.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Player Token Properties Visibility

Post by aliasmask »

Players have full access to owned tokens. The stat sheet is just for display and doesn't govern any sort of permissions scheme. If you want to have hidden data on their tokens you can use Wiki: setProperty() but they still have access to it. A hidden property just doesn't show up in the token type list.

Lord_Ashes
Kobold

Post by Lord_Ashes »

Thank you for the information.

Doesn't this make Token Properties somewhat less useful? If a player can edit them at any time, using any of these properties in a framework/macro (or even for just reference) is not safe (if players cannot be trusted).

While your information about setting token properties which have not been defined to create "hidden" properties is good, it means setting up the initial property values for a character is now harder because there are no properties to fill in (you need to create a macro to setup the initial values).

For example, I have token properties for things like saves, skill ranks, and so on. These remain the same over many sessions (until we level up). Having these properties exposed as visible token properties is easier to enter all the stats in since you can just use the token edit option. However, it would be nice if there was an option for the Token Edit to only be available to GM (so that token properties could be easily set up but not changed).

Maybe it is just my opinion but allowing players access to Edit their token can produce a lot of troubles if the player is not careful. There are other tabs such as Config where the player could chance their token to the wrong type, etc.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

With classic roleplaying players control their own character sheet, so that's nothing new. If you want to have data that they can't access then put it on a lib token.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Lord_Ashes wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:51 am
Maybe it is just my opinion but allowing players access to Edit their token can produce a lot of troubles if the player is not careful. There are other tabs such as Config where the player could chance their token to the wrong type, etc.
As noted, full token access to whoever owns the token comes from traditional PnP games where players have full access to their own character sheets. Nothing has ever stopped a player from "cheating" on the stuff written on their character sheet. If you have players inclined to do this, it's always made the GM's life more difficult.

If you're concerned that players will break something by messing with token properties, then tell them: "Don't mess with token properties." If they refuse to follow GM instruction, then this won't likely be the only problem you have with that player. ;)

That said, I provide my players with an "in game" character sheet (which, I recognize, takes time and effort to build.) Once they have a sheet to access they will be far more likely to stick to using it to manipulate their character rather than tinkering with the token itself.
For example, I have token properties for things like saves, skill ranks, and so on. These remain the same over many sessions (until we level up). Having these properties exposed as visible token properties is easier to enter all the stats in since you can just use the token edit option. However, it would be nice if there was an option for the Token Edit to only be available to GM (so that token properties could be easily set up but not changed).
First, you're not wrong. The fact that many GM's resort to hidden properties and other methods to keep data and token editing from players does indicate that many GM's end up "working around" MT's default behaviour. So while I understand why they have it the way they do, it could be simplified by just allowing GM's to store more than just hidden GM Notes/Name on player tokens. Your question comes up often enough to know that this is a issue.

Here is a link to one of my solutions (use a shadow lib token):

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27497&p=268912#p268912
viewtopic.php?f=78&t=27682&p=270163#p270163

I've also created a table for each player (in their name) where I can store graphics (and other things) specific to the character. You could use that as a way to hide token specific data as well.

But, again, I understand that to new users anything other than just editing the token manually is an extra hurdle. That's the way we all start before we eventually start relying on macros and lib tokens and in-game custom character sheets, etc.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Lord_Ashes
Kobold

Post by Lord_Ashes »

Thanks everyone for the quick responses and suggestions.

Return to “MapTool 1.4”