Auto reveal sight for player movement

Developer discussion regarding MapTool 1.4

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Posting now open to all registered forum users.
JaminSpencer
Kobold

Auto reveal sight for player movement

Post by JaminSpencer »

My setup consists of two instances of Map Tools running on my Mac, one in GM mode on my screen and the second in player mode with a HDMI cable running to a TV. I start a server, connect both sessions and it all works pretty well.

One issue i have been running into is vision and FOW. If i select a player token on my GM screen the Player screen doesn't select that token too which means the player session shows the vision of all the characters rather than just what the selected token can see. If I use the player session to control movement then the auto reveal on movement doesn't work and I have to keep pressing Cmd+P to reveal vision as the token moves.

is there an elegant solution to this issue?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Auto reveal sight for player movement

Post by aliasmask »

When you start the server check the box that allows players to reveal FOW.

JaminSpencer
Kobold

Post by JaminSpencer »

I've ticked that box and the one below it about auto reveal however these only seem to apply to the GM session. As I said, if i use the player session to control the movement I will have to keep pressing Cmd+P or Cmd+I each time a token moves.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Tokens also have to have vision and be a PC. The map also needs day or night turned on.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

aliasmask wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:05 pm
Tokens also have to have vision and be a PC. The map also needs day or night turned on.
Auto-reveal works whether vision is enabled for the map or not as does Ctrl-I/P.

@Jaminspencer - Did you check the Map Visuals option in Preferences for Auto-expose fog on token movement (GM only)? That doesn't do what it sounds like it does. Don't use it.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Phergus wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:26 am
aliasmask wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:05 pm
Auto-reveal works whether vision is enabled for the map or not as does Ctrl-I/P.
Ah, you're probably right. I've been using my movement mod so long that I didn't notice movement behavior would be different. My mod doesn't expose FoW if no vision is set for map. PC Tokens would also be locked in place if FoW was on with no vision.

JaminSpencer
Kobold

Post by JaminSpencer »

Phergus, I'm pretty sure I've tried the Auto-reveal (GM only) preference both on and off and neither worked. I'll check again tomorrow though.

For now I've managed to find a work around by loading both sessions as a GM and setting the TV session to 'view as player'. However this now means that when I move an NPC token that is 'visible to players' but covered by FOW on my laptop session it will show an outline of this on the TV session. Not a huge problem but still not the best solution.

Thanks for your responses by the way guys.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Going back to the beginning.
JaminSpencer wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:31 pm
If i select a player token on my GM screen the Player screen doesn't select that token too which means the player session shows the vision of all the characters rather than just what the selected token can see.
This is expected. You can use macros to force selection on the player client. Perhaps by making use of one of the Category:Events
If I use the player session to control movement then the auto reveal on movement doesn't work and I have to keep pressing Cmd+P to reveal vision as the token moves.
With the right server config and map settings this should happen automatically. This is exactly how many folks use it for face-to-face gaming sessions.
I've ticked that box and the one below it about auto reveal however these only seem to apply to the GM session.
Those settings apply to all tokens/clients.

So for it to work:
  • Enabled - Players can reveal vision - Server Setting
  • Enabled - Auto Reveal On Movement - Server Setting
  • Unchecked - Auto-expose fog on token movement - Preferences -> Application -> Map Visual
  • Your map should be set to Day or Night vision
  • Your player tokens must have some type of vision
You might share a screenshot of your Start Server dialog (blanking out the passwords).

JaminSpencer
Kobold

Post by JaminSpencer »

I finally figured it out!

I had to set ownership of a token to all players for it to work. I didn't have any ownership selected at all.

Thank you all for your replies, this community is amazing.

Btw, I've also changed my set up a bit after I realised how amazing the Surface Pro is for MapTool. Now instead of a TV, my players can sit around a touch screen sat on the table.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Glad to hear it!

We've had the player client logged in as "Player" and then assigned all the player tokens to that player but just setting ownership to all also works.

Return to “MapTool 1.4”