Unable to establish any connection between participants

Developer discussion regarding MapTool 1.4

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Posting now open to all registered forum users.
AstralWanderer
Kobold

Unable to establish any connection between participants

Post by AstralWanderer »

Short version: two players and me; I tried to create a server and make them connect; they always got the timeout error; they both tried to create servers too, and in the end no one was able to connetc with anyone. Servers were running normally for two of us, the other one's server wasn't appearing in the list, but we tried direct connection, still to no avail.

Long version:
I have MapTool 1.4.0.4 and made them download the same.
Clean as that, we couldn't establish any connection, regarless that we launched MapTool from maptool-1.4.0.4.jar or launcher-1.4.0.4.jar.
I went to dig up an old thread of my old (and lost) account about the same topic (for reference: viewtopic.php?p=271672#p271672 ), where the issue had been resolved. Based on that, I made them download Java Windows Offline 64-bit from here: https://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp and I passed them the batch file and mt.cfg file (containing respectively what you can see in the old thread).
With all this set up, each of us successfully launched MapTool from the batch, but still no connection could be established.

I also tried to create a rule for port 51234 in my router's settings, but still no result.

We tried to use MapTool's latest version, so we all installed 1.7.0, but still no result.

Any help?

It's really frustrating, I've been using MapTool for years with different groups, and each time there's always some issue on the connection front. This pushes players away, and it's a shame, because I want to show them how unbelievably cool MapTool is.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Unable to establish any connection between participants

Post by aliasmask »

It's probably your server/router settings. I would first try using UPnP, then open up a second instance of MT and try to connect to yourself. If that works, try having someone else connect.

If that doesn't work, you'll need to go in to your router and set up port forwarding. This usually requires you to set a reserved IP for your computer so it's the same each time you connect. If you have Xfinity, there is another step... disabling Advanced Security online. There's a link in discord under the #networking pinned messages.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

@AM: he did to port forwarding, so perhaps not the right way. @AW: Did you check the local ip of the pc that acts as server and used that for the port forwarding rule? if you did setup the port correctly, check the canseeme website (or something like that) to check whether its actually accesiible, if it is: problem lies with the other pcs, if not port forwarding is either setup wrong OR your ISP doesnt allow it. Final method is setting up a VPN.

AstralWanderer
Kobold

Post by AstralWanderer »

Hi, aliasmask and wolph, long time no read... thanks as always.

UPnP doesn't work for me, I guess because my pc gets wi-fi with an USB wireless LAN adapter: if I try to make a server with it, it first looks for a gateway in that device, then says "no device found, UPnP port mapping will be unavailable". The server still seems to run, though. Anyway it doesn't let me connect to myself.

Other than that, I used my current IP for the port forwarding rule, but checking the port, the site returns an error.
Here's my router's rule configuration, is there something wrong? https://i.imgur.com/aGlvpBt.png (IP is all zeros just for public posting, of course I set up the proper IP.)

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

not familiar with the modem, but did you use the wan or the lan ip address? land probably being 192.168....., wan being anything else.

AstralWanderer
Kobold

Post by AstralWanderer »

I used the IP address I see at whatismyipaddress.com, is that the WAN? Should I have used the LAN (which, I take, is the one I can see when I start a server and click on "connection information" starting with 192)?

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

you should have used the lan, which you can see when you check the 'connection information' on maptool. the point of port forwarding is that the router knows that if a package on port 51234 gets in, where to send it (that is the ip address of you pc). Or to put it in terms of your router: which pc is acting as 'server' (so what is its address).

AstralWanderer
Kobold

Post by AstralWanderer »

Now port is visible and, tested with one player, it works. Hoping no one will have other problems connecting, we'll test as soon as everyone is available.

Thanks a lot.

Return to “MapTool 1.4”