Posting the framework here soon ... and OGL and Paizo Inc. Community Use Policy Applicable to Non-Commercial Activity

Discussion concerning Adventure Magic 1, 2, 3 ...'s campaign framework for Pathfinder 1E.

Moderators: adventuremagic123, dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Forum rules
Discussion regarding Adventure Magic 1, 2, 3 ...'s framework only. Other posts deleted without notice! :)
adventuremagic123
Cave Troll

Posting the framework here soon ... and OGL and Paizo Inc. Community Use Policy Applicable to Non-Commercial Activity

Post by adventuremagic123 »

The new performance improvements for the macros starting in MapTool 1.8.0 are really needed to make this framework shine -- and I have some polishing to do.

The framework will be under the OGL by WotC and the Paizo Inc. Community Use Policy Applicable to Non-Commercial Activity.

Stay tuned!

Paizo Inc. Community Use Policy Applicable to Non-Commercial Activity

"This forum uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Inc., which are used under Paizo's Community Use Policy. We are expressly prohibited from charging you to use or access this content. This forum is not published, endorsed, or specifically approved by Paizo Inc. For more information about Paizo's Community Use Policy, please visit paizo.com/communityuse. For more information about Paizo Inc. and Paizo products, please visit paizo.com."

A possible hangup is that WotC has taken down their server for distributing the OGL located at www.wizards.com/d20.

I need to get a distribution from them to be under their license (can't take it from a 3rd party). I will contact them very shortly about this, and I think I can get their co-operate -- at least I hope so. This is the only potential stopping issue I've got. I'll keep you all posted.

Being able to do it this way greatly simplifies my legal situation. I can't afford to get legal advise to clarify what the situation is in the case that they choose not to co-operation. I'm not a lawyer. It might be that fair use under copyright law provides some options, but I don't want to have to go there. What I have here uses very little of their intellectual property -- but encourages lots of people to buy and use it so I hope they see the benefit of supporting what I'm trying to do FOR FREE!

Project Description

This project will be for managing a D&D 3.5 or Pathfinder 1e campaign in MapTool with features such as below, has been under nearly two years of development, and has been used by my group now for nearly the past two years:
  • Party Treasure management
  • Campaign management (view activity logs for each token so no more questions about how many spells or which spells were cast since last resting, how many arrows were used, how many charges were used, etc.)
  • Campaign Time tracking (you'll now be able to deal with complex issues such as PCs crafting while the party moves on to further adventures)
  • Automatic spell DC calculations
  • Spell management (complete for both prepared and spontaneous spell casters)
  • Easy to use interface
  • Easy to understand macro layout
  • Resource tracking (equipment, ranged attacks, spells, special abilities, money, etc.)
  • New skills can be added by the GM (and they are automatically made available to all the tokens)
  • Adjustments due to conditions or spells cast for abilities, size, movement, saving throws, energy resistance, AC, attacks, skills, light sources, etc. are automatically applied and can be enabled/disabled outright or based on whether their duration is rounds, minutes, or hours.
  • Manage adjustments as reuseable templates for conditions, spells, and light sources.
  • "Character Sheet" makes reviewing PCs and NPCs easy -- can be used in conjunction with WinMerge to do a text-based comparison for the old token's sheet versus the new token's sheet.
  • "Player Token Editor.cmpgn" enables players to edit their tokens offline.
  • Characters can give each other equipment items.
  • Manage money.
  • Resting automatically restores spells, hit points, daily use items and special abilities, expires adjustments with a temporary duration, etc.
  • Import most PC and NPC details from Hero Lab(TM).
  • And more ...
This framework has been used in regular game play by our group and enhanced periodically since December 2018 -- and might be easily modifiable to support other game systems such as Pathfinder 2e, Starfinder, etc.

Hero Lab is a trademark of Lone Wolf Development.

Dorn
Cave Troll

Re: Posting the framework here soon ... and OGL and Paizo Inc. Community Use Policy Applicable to Non-Commercial Activit

Post by Dorn »

What's the status on this? Would love to take a look.

adventuremagic123
Cave Troll

Re: Posting the framework here soon ... and OGL and Paizo Inc. Community Use Policy Applicable to Non-Commercial Activit

No progress with contacting WotC, yet. I'm hoping to approach them in a couple of weeks.

adventuremagic123
Cave Troll

I have finally contacted WotC customer service with the following request:

Dear Sirs:

I have been unable to download your OGL from the location specified in your D&D 3.5 rule books. I own licensed copies of them which I bought on DriveThruRPG.com.

I need for you to send me a copy of this license to do the following:

I have created very sophisticated macros for MapTool by RPTool.net for DMs and players to manage their campaigns and players. My group has been playing with them for almost two years now -- and I have been developing them for nearly that long.

MapTool is a very popular virtual tabletop (VTT) system.

1. I want to publish these macros for free so that other DMs can use them to run D&D 3.5 campaigns.

2. These macros contain basic rules for character build and campaign management -- but that's it.

3. I need to publish them under your license agreement -- or I can't do it. To do that, I must receive a distribution of your license agreement from your company for it to be legal. If you don't want to do that, would you tell me what the alternatives are?

Lastly, if this turns out to be a successful engagement for both of us, I would like to also modify these macros to work for D&D 5e under a license agreement with you. Can you send me also this license agreement?

adventuremagic123
Cave Troll

Let's wait and see how they respond. Keep your fingers crossed. If this doesn't work, I try other routes. Hopefully, it will. This is all to their benefit. With the performance improvements in MapTool 1.8, these macros will be awesome!

adventuremagic123
Cave Troll

Hi Folks,

No response yet from WotC. I contacted them through their website and used the "Contact Us" provision they have to request permission to use their intellectual property.

I'll continue to watch for a response and try something else if necessary.

This is the only thing holding me up.

Sincerely,
Adventure Magic 1, 2, 3 ...

adventuremagic123
Cave Troll

Folks,

Just to let you know. I've setup my email to automatically locate all messages from WotC.

This is the only response I've gotten from them so far:

======================================================================
Your request (Incident 1450589 Need license agreement for D&D 3.5 and 5 to publish MapTool VTT macros) has been updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email.
Support Agent (D&D)
Sep 24, 2020, 11:06 AM PDT
Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry! Your issue has been escalated to the appropriate teams for consideration. Due to the high volume of requests and solicitations they must review, it may be a while before they get back to you, and they may not be able to provide responses to requests that are denied. If they do respond, they may email you directly, separately from this Customer Service Support system. If you are waiting to hear whether your request for permission has been granted or not, please do not use Wizards of the Coast’s intellectual property in your project unless, and until, you receive official permission from Wizards of the Coast.

Wizards of the Coast | Customer Service
Email support is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week here.

adventuremagic123
Cave Troll

WotC has not provided any additional information, yet. This might take a while. I'll try to follow up on this next week.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Sounds like you've done your due diligence. This is a non-commercial project based on the freely available OGL and PFSRD. They've clearly illustrated that it isn't worth their time to even consider whatever it is you're looking to get from them.

Worst case scenario you release it and they send you a cease and desist some time next year (or 10.) If they do, you'll have their attention and can get whatever "proper" authorization you think you need to do this.

My guess is they won't.

Lmarkus has had a very comprehensive framework based the OGL and Pathfinder available here for nearly a decade (not to mention many other drop-ins and frameworks using the same material.) As far as I know, there has never been any problems.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Return to “D&D 3.5 & PF1e Framework”