State of internal editor?

Discussion of initiative tool.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

Nargath
Kobold

State of internal editor?

Post by Nargath »

I know that the internal editor for NPCs was taken out of 1.1, but as far as I can see, the last update on it being re-included was October last year.

Does anyone have any info on where it is up to? I am able to pre-put details in to an XML file, but no internal editor makes modifying things on the fly very hard.

jay
RPTools Team

Re: State of internal editor?

Post by jay »

I'm not sure what you are asking about when you ask for an NPC editor. Are you referring to a character sheet for NPC's in one of the game settings files? If so, which one?

I have been working on the game settings file editor recently and it is coming along pretty well.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

And welcome to RPTools!

Nargath
Kobold

Post by Nargath »

Ahh, details. I knew I forgot something.
When I meant NPC's, I meant any creature that would be used in the tracker. So for example, I would add a Goblin to the Encounter 1 group. That goblin has a different DEX, therefore changing his Init. But as it stands, I can't edit it inside of InitTool, I would have to modify the XML for the default monster list.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Hmmm....

You should always be able to edit specific fields, especially initiative, in either the group tool or init tool. There is a column called Init (usually, it depends on the game file you loaded) in the group editor to change that value. In IT you would be able to edit the NPC in the index card for it.

If you want to add a creature into the lookup table that is a little harder. I'm working on the editor for that now. Until that is finished you have to modify the file by hand.

Nargath
Kobold

Post by Nargath »

jay wrote:Hmmm....

You should always be able to edit specific fields, especially initiative, in either the group tool or init tool. There is a column called Init (usually, it depends on the game file you loaded) in the group editor to change that value. In IT you would be able to edit the NPC in the index card for it.

If you want to add a creature into the lookup table that is a little harder. I'm working on the editor for that now. Until that is finished you have to modify the file by hand.
Hmm, not sure what I was doing wrong then. I know I definitely couldn't edit STR, DEX, or anything big like that. There was no Init column, but there was a Mod column, I think. That may of been it? The other reason I was asking about the editor, is that I wanted to utilise the auto-calcing HP function on the index card. And again, I couldn't manually edit that from the group editor.

I have worked out the best way to manipulate the group file manually now, have most of the base custom creatures in with their stats, HP tracking and Initiative and all.

Here's hoping InitTool keeps growing!

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Yeah, Mod is the column name. You can edit str & dex because they are not simple field values but are calculated by adding in the base and all of the modifiers. If you are working in IT you can usually change the category to PC and then the index card makes it easy to change those values. If you ware working in the group tool, select the row you want to edit and click the edit button (or double click it). Then find the value you want to change in the property pane called Custom. To change the STR you would expand Ability, then STR, and type in the Base value. (Looks like I need to extend the index cards to the group tool sometime soon).

Return to “InitiativeTool”