Best way to edit Initiative in .RPGRP

Discussion of initiative tool.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

Nargath
Kobold

Best way to edit Initiative in .RPGRP

Post by Nargath »

I am pre-creating a whole bunch of enemies for an upcoming game I'm running, and I just want to clarify the proper way of coding the *.rpgrp file.

I have a creature with a Dex of 13, plus Improved Initiative, which should give him a total of +5 on Initiative rolls. Now I use InitTool to roll NPC's initiatives for me, so there is no way for me to know if the code I'm using is correct.

I added a looked up entry and copied the code from there, and I see 3 distinct Initiative-related tags:

Code: Select all

<initiative>*</initiative>

<itInitiative>*</itInitiative>

<initModefier>
  <userMod>*</userMod>
</initModefier>
Previously I have been filling out <initiative> with the total Init number, and using the <initModefier> to display any non-Dex init modifers.

Yet when I ran that character in a mock encounter, I was getting a max of 21, and a min of 2, which tells me that the Dex was autocalculating, but my Imporved Initiative mod wasn't. Also, the actual stat block in the right-hand window was only showing Init of 1.

Can anyone help me out? What is the right way of coding in creature's initiatives straight in to the rpgrp code? I have a few characters with random modifiers, would be good to be able to have them roll properly.

jay
RPTools Team

Re: Best way to edit Initiative in .RPGRP

Post by jay »

Which game settings file are you using? Each one can do things a little differently. The default one is <itInitiative>, but some times you can set the others and they provide some special support.

Nargath
Kobold

Post by Nargath »

I am using the downloaded d20 3.5 game settings, with slightly modified combatant groups.

I will try the Itinitiative, and see if that gives me what I'm looking for. Thanks!

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Ok, I checked the d20 3.5 file and I told you wrong (:oops: been a long time since I looked at that part of IT) The value you set is itInitiativeModifier. In IT select a combatant and click edit (or double click) and set the Modifier value. You can do the same in group tool, but for some reason the value there is called Init in the dialog. I need to fix that. You can also edit it in the group tool table in the 'Mod' column.

If none of that works, send me what you have and I'll see if I can fix it for you.

Return to “InitiativeTool”