Inittool 1.1b9 not loading

Discussion of initiative tool.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

archmagi1
Kobold

Inittool 1.1b9 not loading

Post by archmagi1 »

First off: WinXP SP3, Java 6 update 15

when i run the web start, it downloads but wont ever get past splash screen (it just stays there until i close javaw from tast manager). i've included the output to the java console. I have also deleted inittool from java apps and deleted the .inittool folder in docs&settings. any help would be appreciated.
Attachments
java_console_output.txt
(5.23 KiB) Downloaded 188 times

archmagi1
Kobold

Re: Inittool 1.1b9 not loading

Post by archmagi1 »

note that this problem only occurs with web start, as i can run it fine through the zip file

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Strange. I haven't heard of anyone having problems with InitTool... ??

I'm not familiar with the IT code base but this looks like the build isn't correct, but I can't find any errors in the JAR files (although I only did a cursory look).

I just looked at the JNLP file and it looks okay, too. Jay will have to take a look at the stack trace and see if he can figure it out...

jmurrayufo
Cave Troll

Post by jmurrayufo »

I am having the same issues on OSx and Win7. The loading screen pops up, the loading bre does its thing, then nothing happens.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

I've seen this before. It only happens when using web start and only for some users. Internally it is just trying to read a file from the jar, but sometimes it gets messed up and I have no idea why it happens. Turns out I'm having the same problem. Anybody else having problems? I asked Trevor to take a look at the server for me.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

jay wrote:I asked Trevor to take a look at the server for me.
I didn't see any problems server-side. I scanned through the error_logs and nothing jumped out at me, although I think the client would've produced an error regarding a corrupted JAR file if the checksums didn't match after downloading...

The JNLP that is generated looks correct as well. (Jay, you probably know this by the link for the WebStart URL can have the jnlp replaced with txt and you'll get a text version of the JNLP in the browser window. Just a shortcut for looking at the file contents easily.)

It would seem to be some kind of local issue where the java.lang.zip packages aren't reading the JAR files correctly? Or maybe the ClassLoader hasn't been initialized properly when the first lookup attempt happens? I know that MapTool has a cp:// URL handler installed early in the startup process that searches the classpath -- does InitTool do anything like that? (Note that I have no idea why MT does that as I've never seen any use of that URL, although it does make for some interesting possibilities. :))

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Actually, it looks like there are some errors in the download/error_log file. Some problem trying to access a file in the constructor of ReleaseManifest.php but the filename is just .txt (ie. the name itself is empty).

I think this is a search engine that has found the links on the Launch page. That's the only way I can see for the $_SERVER["PATH_INFO"] to be empty and cause that error. Plus it happens on a regular interval (4:50AM one day and 4:50AM the next day, for example).

There should be some way to set up an exception handler and catch this error; I'll do that and see about logging additional information into the error log...

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

I was wondering if it could be related to the security sandbox on the client somehow. That and how the data is downloaded is the biggest difference between the two. It always appears to have something to do with reading one of the internal data files like an Abeille form (in this instance) or the default game settings file that is in the ct jar. I've looked at this a couple of times, and never seem to find anything promising.

Ayronis
Kobold

Post by Ayronis »

I'm having the same problem. With both the webstart and the local shortcut the program loads the splash screen and then hangs.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Jay, since you've seen the problem before perhaps you can run the app under a 'debug' JVM and then connect to it after the app hangs? Or perhaps force the Java Console open and when it appears to hang, force a stack trace to be dumped. You'd need to do that quite a few times and then compare them to get an idea of where the time is actually being spent...

... just trying to brainstorm some ways to track it down!

I've added some additional error logging to the code; we'll see what the data looks like.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

I'll try. I know what is happening, I just don't know how to fix it. It's not reading files within the jar. I know the files are there, because I can download the jar, unzip it, and see them. I just don't know why it won't read them using Web Start.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Heh, thanks for the reply. :)

Okay, the added debug output shows that the incoming request to the website is for .../webstart.php/maptool-release-1.2 (but without the required .txt or .jnlp on the end?!). So the error messages are likely coming from old sites that link to a page that no longer exists. I'm going to add the Referrer information to the error log as well and then I can notify the host site.

If there's anything I can do to help, just let me know! Either here or via PM, you choice. :)

Ayronis
Kobold

Post by Ayronis »

Thanks for looking into this guys. We users appreciate it. :D

Ayronis
Kobold

Post by Ayronis »

Hey guys -

Has anything been done to fix this? I just tried loading the latest release, but it seems to be freezing still. I can use an older version so it isn't a big problem, but I just thought I'd give a friendly poke in case this issue was forgotten.

Thanks for everything you guys do!

~Ayronis

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Jay, here's the command line as reported by ps that Java Web Start created when launched on OSX. Does anything here stand out to you?

Code: Select all

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home/bin/java -d32 -Xbootclasspath/a:/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Resources/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Home/lib/javaws.jar:/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Resources/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Home/lib/deploy.jar:/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Resources/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Home/lib/plugin.jar -classpath /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Resources/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Home/lib/deploy.jar -Djava.security.policy=file:/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Resources/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Home/lib/security/javaws.policy -DtrustProxy=true -Xverify:remote -Djnlpx.home=/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Resources/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Home/bin -Dsun.awt.warmup=true -Djnlpx.origFilenameArg=/Users/frank/Downloads/InitTool-11b9-512m-2m.jnlp -Djnlpx.remove=true -Xmx512m -Xms64m -Xss2m -Xms64m -Xmx512m -Djnlpx.heapsize=64m,512m -Xdock:name=RPTools InitTool -Dapple.javaws.dock.name=RPTools InitTool -Xdock:icon=/var/folders/1g/1gODBb8zExeC0tqydoHyjE+++TI/-Tmp-//WebStartIcon_40676 -Dapple.javaws.dock.icon=/var/folders/1g/1gODBb8zExeC0tqydoHyjE+++TI/-Tmp-//WebStartIcon_40676 -Djnlpx.splashport=51969 -Djnlpx.jvm=/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home/bin/java -Djnlpx.vmargs="-Xmx512m -Xms64m -Xss2m" com.sun.javaws.Main /var/tmp/javawsXRQJqa
Interestingly enough, that filename tacked onto the end, /var/tmp/javawsXRQJqa, which is obviously a temporary file of some kind, doesn't exist on my system :?

Return to “InitiativeTool”