Page 1 of 1

Re-familiarizing

Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:38 pm
by Steel Rat
So I'm starting up some of my play-by-post games again and have downloaded the latest IT. It's changed a bit, but not much. Biggest problem, can't seem to locate any current documentation. Is there any to be found?

Next problem, I don't see a way to add custom properties to a player, npc or monster. I thought I could do this on previous versions, but for the life of me can't find it now.

The game I'm trying to do this with is OGL, which is basically a generic version of d20 3.5 mechanics. I tried loading the d20 3.5e game setup, but it created some weird fully loaded character for a new PC I added. I'm not using any of the D&D specific stuff, so I'd just as soon stick with the default setup and add a handful of custom properties.

Any help is appreciated!

Re: Re-familiarizing

Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:25 am
by jay
Steel Rat wrote:So I'm starting up some of my play-by-post games again and have downloaded the latest IT. It's changed a bit, but not much. Biggest problem, can't seem to locate any current documentation. Is there any to be found?
Nope, it all disappeared in the site change :(

Steel Rat wrote:Next problem, I don't see a way to add custom properties to a player, npc or monster. I thought I could do this on previous versions, but for the life of me can't find it now.
That is all done in the game settings file. Currently that has to be edited by hand.

Steel Rat wrote:The game I'm trying to do this with is OGL, which is basically a generic version of d20 3.5 mechanics. I tried loading the d20 3.5e game setup, but it created some weird fully loaded character for a new PC I added. I'm not using any of the D&D specific stuff, so I'd just as soon stick with the default setup and add a handful of custom properties.
I think the default one does closer to what you want, but there aren't any character sheets in it. You would still have to edit the Rpgame file to add special properties.

Re: Re-familiarizing

Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:39 am
by Steel Rat
Thanks Jay.

Is there a simple guide to editing those files? I tried loading the default .rpgame file into Notetab, but it couldn't load the whole file, something about null characters or something...

Re: Re-familiarizing

Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 3:05 pm
by jay
You would first need to unzip the RPGame file into it's own directory. To add properties you will need to add them into property/propertyDescriptorSet.xml file that was extracted using a text or XML editor. There are some simple properties defined in there that you can copy, but they generally look like this:

Code: Select all

<property name="class"><description>Class of the combatant.</description></property>
<property name="dex" type="NUMBER"><description>Dexterity modifier.</description></property>
You only need to make something a number if you plan to use it in a script calculation somewhere, otherwise you can leave them all text. The Adopters: Game Settings File thread has lots more detail in it.

When you're done, don't forget to zip the file back up before loading it into IT/CT.