Init Tool 1.0 Documentation

Discussion of initiative tool.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

jay
RPTools Team

Init Tool 1.0 Documentation

Post by jay »

Well I've finished with the documentation for the 1.0 release of Init Tool. If you see any problems with it post them here and I'll fix them. Otherwise I'm never looking at them again :D

You can get to the documentation on the Wiki

lonewolf147
Cave Troll

Re: Init Tool 1.0 Documentation

Post by lonewolf147 »

So every time I click on the wiki link in here it just sends me to the RPTools main page. :(
Image Image

Get 2GB of free online storage with Dropbox! http://db.tt/qC8oAm2C The easiest way to share files between all your computers and smartphones as well as your friends!

palmer
Great Wyrm

Post by palmer »

That link is 2 years old and out of date.

I'm not sure where the documentation for InitTool has gone now

Treemarker
Kobold

Post by Treemarker »

Is anyone currently supporting this application?

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

I'm not sure where the documentation went. It was on the Wiki before the site change. I'll go take a look.

dodongpogi
Kobold

Post by dodongpogi »

Hi guys,

Am new to this whole tool. I'm looking for documentation/tutorial on how to use this as a Combat Manager for my 4E games but I could not get find any good documentation anywhere. Particularly interested in loading up the DND 4e Settings file that was posted but I'm feeling like total dunce that I don't know how to even load the whole thing. Can anyone help me with some good tutorial on how to use this?\\

Thanks

palmer
Great Wyrm

Post by palmer »

For a full combat manager, you could always try http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=7736

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

The D&D 4e file should already be loaded when you start IT1.1b7. To run an encounter you just add all of your players and monsters to the encounter list. If you or your players used CT to create your characters then you can import the RPToken files from that program using File->Import Token menu. Otherwise you need to add the combatant by pressing the Add Combatants button which is the + button in the tool bar. It is also the File->New->Combatants menu choice. A dialog pops up and you just hit the Add button for each player/monster you want to enter. All you need to do after pressing add is to type in the Name and the Init Modifier (labeled Mod in the table) in their respective columns. You can set the Category column to PC if you are adding your players this way. You can also set the Count column if you are adding a bunch of the same kind of monster. You can edit these columns right in the table or you can press the Edit button. You don't really need anything else for IT to work. The Lookup button is grayed out because the monsters were never entered into the game settings file. That is something that needs to be done, but I don't have the 4e MM so I can't do it. With that you could just select all of the monsters from a list.

Another way to add combatants is to create groups of them with the Group Tool. This allows you to set up your combats before game night. It is accessed from the Tools->Group Tool menu. It opens up a window that lets you define any number of groups of tokens. You add tokens to a group just like you do for the encounter. To add the group to the encounter just select Actions->Add Group and select a file to load or to use the file currently loaded in Group Tool. Then select a group out of the ones listed. All of the combatants in the group are automatically added to the list.

To run an encounter just select Actions->Start Encounter from the menu. IT will then roll for everybody's initiative and sort them in the correct order in the list. Click the check mark icon or select Actions->Next Initiative to progress through the round. If the player Delays you can set their wait state using the toolbar under the list or the Wait State menu. There are a couple of other wait states as well. This will feces them to the right so that you can see they are out of the normal initiative order. When they are ready to take their turn just select them and press Wait State->Go or the right arrow icon in the toolbar. This will make that combatant the current one and move them in the initiative order to the current spot.

If you need to keep track of some event you add a timer to the encounter using File->New->Timer from the menu. That will let you define a timed event which counts down each round on its initiative and shows a flag (by default) when it expires. Useful for spell effects and such.

That's most of it. As soon as Trevor gets a chance to find the old documentation from our old website wiki I'll get that added to the new site.

Return to “InitiativeTool”