D&D 4e settings file

Discussion of initiative tool.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

Kizan
Giant

D&D 4e settings file

Post by Kizan »

Has anyone created a D&D 4e settings file for InitTool? I'm going to start a 4e game soon and didn't want to re-create something that others had already created.

Thanx,

Kizan

jay
RPTools Team

Re: D&D 4e settings file

Post by jay »

Kizan wrote:Has anyone created a D&D 4e settings file for InitTool? I'm going to start a 4e game soon and didn't want to re-create something that others had already created.
I would like to add a 4e file to the defaults that come with IT, so if you find one you like tell me and I'll add it. I can also help anybody who wants to make one. I won't be buying the books anytime soon so I won't have the info to write my own.

Kizan
Giant

I'll give it a try.

Post by Kizan »

I'll give it a try and let you know what I come up with. It should just be an edit of the 3.5 version. Also the quick-start rules and some pre-gen characters and character sheets are available for free online. Check www.enworld.org if you are interested. You shouldn't have to buy the books for the info needed.

At least whatever I cobble together will be a starting point for someone else. :-)

Kizan
Giant

Post by Kizan »

Question: I can't seem to do a "Save As" in the Game Settings. I get a dialog box to do the save and I put in a new filename but no file is actually created.

I also tried manually coping the 3.5 file (d20fantasy.rpgame) to a new location and then edit from there, but every time I go to save it states "A property name 'level' already exists' with an OK button.

Any thoughts I really don't want to have to recreate everything to make a 4e game settings file when not that much has changed.

Thanx,

Kizan

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

I am in the process of upgrading the editor to make it support everything that is needed in 1.1. I can't test the editor right now 'cause I have it all torn up. The easiest way to make changes is to unzip the game file and use your favorite text editor to change the XML. I know that is a crappy answer, but it is the only one I have until the new editor is ready. If you need help with anything you can post it here or email me with any questions.

Kizan
Giant

Post by Kizan »

jay wrote:I am in the process of upgrading the editor to make it support everything that is needed in 1.1. I can't test the editor right now 'cause I have it all torn up. The easiest way to make changes is to unzip the game file and use your favorite text editor to change the XML. I know that is a crappy answer, but it is the only one I have until the new editor is ready. If you need help with anything you can post it here or email me with any questions.
It's cool. That factiod (about being able to unzip the file) should be enough to point me in the correct direction. I looked at the .rpgame file in a hex editor a bit but didn't get very far.

Thanx,

Kizan

P.S. Any answer (even "No you can't do/have this.") Is better than no answer at all! Thanx.

Kizan
Giant

Post by Kizan »

Jay,

I messed around with the contents of the .rpgame file, but had trouble making heads or tails of it. I think I'll wait until the editor is finished. I'd be happy to beta-test it (and create 4e at the same time) if you need testers.

Kizan

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

I started work on a 4e game file for inclusion with IT. Here is the character sheet I have...
Any suggestions/ideas/special functionalit?
I've started working on an equipment page, but that isn't viewable yet.

Korpus
Kobold

Post by Korpus »

Any further progress with this Jay? Even if you've done it partially so far I'd be interested in taking a look and perhaps adding where I can :)

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

jay wrote:I started work on a 4e game file for inclusion with IT. Here is the character sheet I have...
Any suggestions/ideas/special functionalit?
I've started working on an equipment page, but that isn't viewable yet.
Nice work. I know this is still a ways into the future, but if there is any way to build functionality into Inittool/Character tool with some type of tag or special property that will allow it to be turned into a macro in Maptool, that would be great. Even if you have to manually import using a button or something by pointing to a character sheet in Maptool, having the ability to set that stuff up and stay with the character would be great.

Joe
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Korpus wrote:Any further progress with this Jay? Even if you've done it partially so far I'd be interested in taking a look and perhaps adding where I can :)
It has come a bit further. You can now select a race and a class and have all of the appropriate modifiers added. You can select the powers available to you from a list and get the complete power description at the click of a button. Next is getting the attack powers to execute. I have had three volunteers adopt the game settings file and they are getting ready to start to enter the powers. So it is going pretty good.

Welcome to the forums Korpus!

Korpus
Kobold

Post by Korpus »

jay wrote:
Korpus wrote:Any further progress with this Jay? Even if you've done it partially so far I'd be interested in taking a look and perhaps adding where I can :)
It has come a bit further. You can now select a race and a class and have all of the appropriate modifiers added. You can select the powers available to you from a list and get the complete power description at the click of a button. Next is getting the attack powers to execute. I have had three volunteers adopt the game settings file and they are getting ready to start to enter the powers. So it is going pretty good.

Welcome to the forums Korpus!
Thank you for the update and the welcome :)

I'm new to all the tools here but they seem excellent pieces of work. I use to program in Java and know XML quite well so if you are looking for an extra volunteer I'd be happy to help :)

rdarsque
Kobold

Post by rdarsque »

If you need an easy way to edit the rpdat files I like to use XMLNotepad from M$ its free and alows you to clone an entire branch with a click so by selecting the head branch i.e "monster" and choosing duplicate it adds it directly beneath the original then you can just edit the values inside.

To open it i just dragged the rpdat file onto the open XMLNotepad window and to save changes just click the save file button no muss no fuss.

Hope this helps :)
Those Points of Light might just be Magic Missiles headed your way :shock:

Minions are your friend - Gotta love those mob rules and swarm charges on the meat shields with an immortality complex :D

thecyberwolfe
Dragon

defaultMonsters

Post by thecyberwolfe »

Back to the defaultMonsters for 4E file, I just spent a couple hours hacking it by hand because I was too sleepy to think about looking here first, and when I try to change my game settings over to use the new file, it gives me an "unexpected error reading the file"

Not exactly sure where I went wrong, but if there is something even just mostly done I would certainly love to see it.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Welcome to the forums thecyberwolfe!

The 4e team is still focusing on character data, so there aren't any monsters yet.

If you send me your game settings file I'll take a look and see if I can find the problem with it.

Return to “InitiativeTool”