Page 1 of 1

Build 6 Test

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:47 pm
by RPTroll
Overall this build is Coolness Abounding :-)

Here's the stuff I tested

jay wrote:
  • Can no longer drag to self in GT or MT
This works but now I can't drag from second instance of Group Tool into Init tool. This is probably ok but it was a cool 'feature'. :-)

jay wrote:
  • Exception from delete

The exception may not be there but you still can't delete.

jay wrote:
  • Dragging to MT from GT without tokens defined will display a message telling the user that the tokens were not created.

This works great for not moving those entries you can't delete. :-) Seriously, it worked great.

jay wrote:
  • Edit custom values directly

I love it. There seems to be a minor bug though. When you select a cell for edit and move the arrow key to a new row, the next cell accepts edit but you don't know the cursor is there. In fact, you have no idea where it is. You can also side arrow to get to another cell but, once again, you don't know which cell you're in. It would be nice if you could somehow border/highlight the cell that's currently editable.

jay wrote:
  • Added hidden view mode

I'm not sure what I'm going to use this for but it works. :-)

Re: Build 6 Test

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:58 pm
by jay
RPTroll wrote:
jay wrote:
  • Can no longer drag to self in GT or MT

This works but now I can't drag from second instance of Group Tool into Init tool. This is probably ok but it was a cool 'feature'. :-)

Yeah, I already had that done when you talking about it. I think it was confusing things since you could drag a group to itself, but not any other group in the same window. After I get all of the save as and append functions done, we can look to see if this is still needed.
jay wrote:
  • Exception from delete

RPTroll wrote:The exception may not be there but you still can't delete.

I was not able to re-create this. I just downloaded Init Tool from web start and it is working fine. Do you have a specific way to re-create this?

RPTroll wrote:
jay wrote:
  • Edit custom values directly

I love it. There seems to be a minor bug though. When you select a cell for edit and move the arrow key to a new row, the next cell accepts edit but you don't know the cursor is there. In fact, you have no idea where it is. You can also side arrow to get to another cell but, once again, you don't know which cell you're in. It would be nice if you could somehow border/highlight the cell that's currently editable.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. Right now you can only select rows, not columns with the arrow keys. The only cell that is editable will look exactly like it does when you click on an editable column. If you don't see that highlight, then it isn't editable. I did notice that if you clicked on other areas outside of the table (like next init) it would leave the text box but the text cursor was gone. Was this the problem? I can add cell selection to the columns and highlighting to the selected cell. Is this what you are asking for?

RPTroll wrote:
jay wrote:
  • Added hidden view mode

I'm not sure what I'm going to use this for but it works. :-)

:-) That is so you can find the items you mark as hidden in the editor. I figured that eventually we will integrate with map tool and there would be some GM's that didn't want people looking at the entire init order until they had gone through it once. I think it will also be handy for hiding all of the timers that don't really need attention later, like how long before a torch burns out or even spell effects. When you hide a timer, it automatically displays itself when it expires. So you could remove the clutter from the initiative if you wanted to and still know exactly when it expires.

Re: Build 6 Test

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:12 pm
by RPTroll
jay wrote:
RPTroll wrote:The exception may not be there but you still can't delete.

I was not able to re-create this. I just downloaded Init Tool from web start and it is working fine. Do you have a specific way to re-create this?


Maybe I had a brain fart. I'll try it again.

jay wrote:
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. Right now you can only select rows, not columns with the arrow keys. The only cell that is editable will look exactly like it does when you click on an editable column. If you don't see that highlight, then it isn't editable. I did notice that if you clicked on other areas outside of the table (like next init) it would leave the text box but the text cursor was gone. Was this the problem? I can add cell selection to the columns and highlighting to the selected cell. Is this what you are asking for?


Try this for a recreate. Select a value and edit it (not on the first row). Then up arrow. The window doesn't show you can edit the value above the previous one you just edited. Now type something. When I do this I see the value change but there is no indication the cell is in edit mode.

jay wrote: When you hide a timer, it automatically displays itself when it expires. So you could remove the clutter from the initiative if you wanted to and still know exactly when it expires.

Now that I can use.

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:57 pm
by RPTroll
Update, the delete from group tool does work.

Re: Build 6 Test

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:28 pm
by jay
RPTroll wrote:Maybe I had a brain fart. I'll try it again.

It may be something odd needs to be done to get it to fail. If it happens again, save the encounter and mail it to me.

RPTroll wrote:Try this for a recreate. Select a value and edit it (not on the first row). Then up arrow. The window doesn't show you can edit the value above the previous one you just edited. Now type something. When I do this I see the value change but there is no indication the cell is in edit mode.

I didn't even know you could do that :o I am seeing the text field editor pop up, but it doesn't contain the cursor. It shows up pretty well in my items since the item has a pinkish background and the text field has a white background. It also has a blue border around it, but only when you type or hit F2 (probably windows only). The F2 will also show the cursor in the text field.

Very strange behavior. I don't know if it is Swing's or Tiny L&F oddities, but I doubt they are easy to change. To help I could add a cell highlighter to show where editing would occur. Probably be a blue border if you can edit or grey border if you can't edit the cell. Would you like me to change the background on the field while editing? I could set it to a color not used as often as white. Anybody else have preferences on colors or borders? I can actually change all cell borders, foreground & background colors for both selected cells and the cell that is being edited.

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:38 pm
by RPTroll
When testing I was arrowing and guessing where I was. Sure, it was fun at first but then reality set in. :shock:

Just knowing where the cursor is would handle it for me. Changing it between editable and non-editable is a good idea.

I'm color/GUI illiterate so I"ll leave it to those with better taste than I to comment on that.

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:42 pm
by Steel Rat
I think a chartreuse cell with a mauve border would.....

make people throw up.