Token rendering

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

StelardActek
Kobold

Token rendering

Post by StelardActek »

I noticed that some tokens looked kind of poor when MapTool scales them down, so... I took it upon myself to patch that a bit. It was a good exercise even if it isn't implemented, of course, but it would be neat to see it included.
Is there someone I can submit the diff to? It's against revision 5029.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: Token rendering

Post by Azhrei »

See the Sticky threads in the MapTool forum for descriptions of how to contribute.

Be aware that the graphics stuff is very much the purview of the main developer, Trevor, and patches in that area are likely to be rejected unless they meet his coding guidelines as well as his plans for the future in that area. (The sticky posts discuss some of that.)

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

If it's not too processor intensive, better rendering at certain scales would be nice.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

StelardActek
Kobold

Post by StelardActek »

Anyone who's interested in what I've done can check the diff out here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LAWRC3H8

hyperactiveChipmunk
Cave Troll

Post by hyperactiveChipmunk »

StelardActek wrote:Anyone who's interested in what I've done can check the diff out here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LAWRC3H8
><

pastey.net is your friend

-hC

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

I always zoom out at levels divisible by 25% because of the jagginess that happens when zooming in or out. Anything to help that would be grand.

StelardActek
Kobold

Post by StelardActek »

Or here, sure: http://pastey.net/114139

Keep in mind, I stopped working on this when it occurred to me it'd be pointless to continue if there was no chance of it being accepted.

Orchard
Great Wyrm

Post by Orchard »

StelardActek wrote:Or here, sure: http://pastey.net/114139

Keep in mind, I stopped working on this when it occurred to me it'd be pointless to continue if there was no chance of it being accepted.
If I were you I would PM trevor and talk to him about it. It's not like he's going to ignore you completely. It's a good idea, and if you can lighten his work load by producing code that meets his standards, I'm sure he'll be happy. The reasons it wouldn't be accepted, from what I understand, are more concerned with quality control than anything else. I'd say it's worth chatting him with if you think its an interesting problem.
0+0=1, for very unstable CPUs.

hyperactiveChipmunk
Cave Troll

Post by hyperactiveChipmunk »

Looks like good stuff; I don't see any difficulties getting something like that included.

-hC

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Sorry for the delay, been hectic around here.

I have reviewed the patch, but have some concerns about performance, I'll be getting with the author to bounce some ideas.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

trevor wrote:Sorry for the delay, been hectic around here.

I have reviewed the patch, but have some concerns about performance, I'll be getting with the author to bounce some ideas.
I figured that performance would be something of a trade-off to get better dithering.

Any chance there could be a toggle for "High Performance Zoom" or "High Quality Zoom"?
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

I'd like it if I could set the amount that MapTool zooms in and out with a mousewheel click. I'd like to be able to bounce around between zoom levels divisible by 25%.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Brigand wrote:I'd like it if I could set the amount that MapTool zooms in and out with a mousewheel click. I'd like to be able to bounce around between zoom levels divisible by 25%.
Feel free to post this into the Feature Request forum

trevor

Post by trevor »

Full Bleed wrote: Any chance there could be a toggle for "High Performance Zoom" or "High Quality Zoom"?
What would be great is if we could get both :)

StelardActek
Kobold

Post by StelardActek »

I did take performance into account when putting this patch together. Depending on how much the image will be resized in the drawing, it does different things to perform the blur. It seems to run fine on my machine with numerous tokens on screen. That said, obviously it's going to be slower than not blurring before resizing.

I would have tried making the different token rendering technique an option, but I don't know how to do user interfaces in Java. I'd be happy to learn, if there's a chance of this being included.

Return to “Developer Notes”