4e interactive sheet & utilities

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

DeviantNull
Dragon

Re: 4e interactive sheet & utilities

Post by DeviantNull »

Been busy as of late. I kind of wrote these macros when I didn't have a whole lot going on and had copious free time. Hence the longer gaps between getting a chance to add stuff.

Hit points auto calcing is likely something I'll get around too. It's not that hard to do and while there is the skirting the line with copy right given formulas and all that, I already calc defense and level and things so it doesn't personally bother me too much. You still need the rule books to know what to enter. Order of operation starts to get uglier, but can probably be worked out.

I can look into the death saving throws thing as well. I can likely add support for bonuses to just death saves and likely need to make # of failed saves adjustable. Oh the joys of automation and why I should likely avoid it.

Power damage dice... yes it doesn't like split damage dice very well. A sacrifice on the alter of it being able to autocalc crit damage. A better coder could probably write something better, I am not a better coder. You can put it in for the bonus but it won't max on a crit. You could also put it in on the second attack, but again it won't max on a crit on the primary. I look at it as automated helping, not total automation. I'm willing to live with this, because at the table I'd have to do a bit of math as well on crits. No plans to change this.

Damage types are something that I could potentially add to the damage output. I'm a little leery of doing this, but more on that in a moment. I'd have to separate them out of keywords when entered in, but that's not a terribly big thing. I'd likely still leave it as a raw text field, since it has no mechanical effect. I'd do a list but drop downs won't work because you can't select multiple and checkboxes take up a ton of space and I haven't quite figured out how to handle multiple inputs (though I have some ideas).

Pink Rose is correct, recharge directly from the info box is by design for powers that get a roll but also auto recharge at some specific time. The recharge code treats anything that isn't just a number as an auto recharge, thus for those kind of powers you need a way to put a number and still auto recharge. This was the easiest solution. Yes, if you roll from the power list it makes 1 roll for all powers. There seems to be a lack of a clear consensus on this, but this way makes the most sense to me. Again, one of the flaws of automation and why I'm usually not a fan of heavy automation.

You can use the note output to put in pulled values and dice rolls. That's what =() does. However, you don't get mouseover input with that so I don't recommend it for dice rolls, using the second hit line with no second attack is usually better since you can mouseover it. It's mainly for pulling ability score values, which you get by using the first three letters capitalized, =(STR) for example. It also can do basic math, so you could do =(STR+1). You can get your level with LEVEL and 1/2 level with 1/2LVL.

Speaking of mouseover, this is a MT setting. Turn on 'use tooltips' to make the output condensed. This was a change in MT and I made a decision to leave it as one of those things that will be set my MT since some folks (though apparently not many) like the expanded.

Just want to take a moment to point out that I forked the sheet and output displays. Short desc displays on the output like previously and now only notes display on the sheet. Baring that I'm not exactly happy with what I named them, having 2 separate entries seems like a better design and more useful overall.

More output on the powers... I'm not going to do it in the near future. I don't want a bunch of output, it's why I did the split to start with. Technically I could put in toggles for that output so folks could choose. I'm not sure if it would cause a performance hit and there are issues with nested if(): rolls and code{} and how I currently have things set to try and automatically figure out what it should be displaying. I could likely re-write it and go to an all toggle method. I didn't originally because I didn't have the knowhow or the tools to do.

To come back to damage types, it does seem folks would really like it. Since it would technically be on the same damage line and it's often just a word or two I'm not totally adverse to it. I'll add it to the to-do list and see what I can do. Revamping keywords was something I personally wanted to try, so I can likely kill two birds with one stone.

And since tone is hard to grok over the intertubes, I really do appreciate everyones thoughts and feedback. :D I wouldn't ask for it otherwise. I'm just not a fan of all ideas, some are easier then others, and ultimately I'm just one guy with not a lot of free time who barely knows what he's doing. But I've got about 40 some odd DL's of the current thing and broke 200 on the previous, plus have seen folks suggest them on other boards, so I'm totally surprised and really flattered that folks use what amount to my random doodlings.

Duck
Kobold

Post by Duck »

Ah, yeah I see your point of view DN, just having more info would generally be better, if it can be done without cluttering things up.

What I generally do is just throw some quick html into the Desc field, and add simple things that I don't want to click on the power card every time it's used. Granted, it's easy to remember most of them, but some powers are esoteric enough to warrant a quick look.

Here's what a normal power in my game outputs:

Stonefoot:
Thorn Strike Attack: 16 vs AC   Hit: 5 damage
Desc: At-Will (Primal, Weapon), Standard, Range Melee 2
Hit: You pull the target 1 square.

So it doesn't add that much spam, just it's a royal pain to htmlify the desc field when it would be just as easy to have a little checkbox to show hit/miss/effect, etc.

Also, I updated one module just fine from v1 to v3.51, but today I went back to our new module and started converting it. I stripped out all my old campaign and states, re-added all the stuff from the 3.51 example campaign.

When I go to use the v2 to v2.5 updater, I'm getting this error:

Invalid condition in IF(getProperty(TempPower) != "") roll option.       Statement options (if any): if(getProperty(TempPower) != "")       Statement Body : set(TempPower, json.set(getProperty(TempPower), "PConditions", ""))

The other update macros work fine from all outward appearances.

DeviantNull
Dragon

Post by DeviantNull »

Duck wrote:Ah, yeah I see your point of view DN, just having more info would generally be better, if it can be done without cluttering things up.
I was planning to call it done at this point, figuring javascripting would be on it's way and someone who actually knows what they're doing would come along and one up me. Was also hoping for some awesome charbuilder xml output so there could be some unofficial melding. Both haven't really happened. My own game is still trucking along so I still have a level of interesting in keeping things up.

Thus, I'm slowly revamping and overhauling things. I think I've decided to put in toggles for output if I can manage it. It might actually mean the code itself is tidied up. Compatibility stopped me before but I'll likely make some sacrifices if need be since I'd consider it another version jump.
When I go to use the v2 to v2.5 updater, I'm getting this error:

Invalid condition in IF(getProperty(TempPower) != "") roll option.       Statement options (if any): if(getProperty(TempPower) != "")       Statement Body : set(TempPower, json.set(getProperty(TempPower), "PConditions", ""))

The other update macros work fine from all outward appearances.
Wow, old code is old. I"m pretty certain this is a victim of a change in Maptool macro code and the way empty json objects are treated.

Try changing the getProperty(TempPower) !="" to json.isEmpty(TempPower) == 1.

I think that should fix it. 2 to 2.5 isn't vital as it just adds in the Pcondition on powers. Things still work with out (I think) it's just really annoying because it prompts for it and it's used in a few loops so it's a LOT of prompting. Editing a power would automatically add it, even to powers that lack it (I think). You'll know it works if it doesn't ask for it when you use or edit a power.

Sabin Stargem
Cave Troll

Post by Sabin Stargem »

Yo. I think the Senses section isn't in the framework's player character sheet, which deals with Passive insight and perception checks. The checks are 10 + Skill, and the official character sheet allows special senses to be added, like Tremorsense for example. Other than that, things are quite complete, I am happy to say. :)

EDIT: Ah, I just noticed that those senses pop up near the portrait of a character. My bad!

DeviantNull
Dragon

Post by DeviantNull »

So I'm fiddling around with things. I figured out how to make rolls that have a modifier/intermediary step between selection and resolution toggle between Global and Private via macrolink. Rumble did something similar with his dice box and I didn't even need to peek at his code to figure it out, it just never dawned on me to do it that way and was so dead simple I kicked myself.

But since I'm futzing with them I'm revisiting how I have it set up to access them. Right now the name of the ability/skill does an immediate roll and the number is the link for modifiers. I'm wondering if I shouldn't switch that around or just remove the immediate.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Any other suggestions for general improvement in the department of skill/ability checks?

PinkRose
Dragon

Post by PinkRose »

Wasn't the name a link to a description?
Where did that go?
I am a special snowflake!

DeviantNull
Dragon

Post by DeviantNull »

PinkRose wrote:Wasn't the name a link to a description?
Where did that go?
On the PC sheet I made a training column and put the link to the desc there, on the NPC sheet I have a little question mark. It's trivial to turn the name into the link and just drop the non-modifier roll.

I'm trying to put a bit more thought into the general usability and what works and doesn't work.

PinkRose
Dragon

Post by PinkRose »

Ok. I still don't quite understand if you are referring to the current skills section as I see it, or a new improved one. But I can tell you that you should absolutely keep the Immediate roll. More often then not, I use an unmodified roll. For perception, and knowledge and such.

Something I found error wise, is the size of the current window.
Since you added "Regain Healing Surge" The window isn't big enough and you have to scroll down each time to hit "Record".

Thanks.
I am a special snowflake!

tmatk
Cave Troll

Post by tmatk »

Noticed a spelling error; "interrupt" has 2 r's :D

tmatk
Cave Troll

Post by tmatk »

Possible bug : If a multi-attack power is activated as a linked power, the attacks are rolled but not the damage.

Sir Flak
Dragon

Post by Sir Flak »

You have probably noticed by now that there is a slightly annoying side effect to the performance fix I submitted. In the previous version you could click off the token and the sheet would still be visible and be functional. In this version it will say "Multiple tokens selected" or something if you click off, or sometimes even when you click on a button on the sheet (because it deselects the token occasionally).

Never fear, we can remove this annoyance and still have our performance fix. In the "Sheet" macro simple change the 2 spots I checked how many tokens were selected from "SelectedCount == 1" to "SelectedCount <= 1". TADA!

If your feeling super lazy you can copy/paste the whole sheet macro over it that i posted below.

Code: Select all

<!-- Main Character sheet page-->
<!--Checks to see if the token has the state Character and if it does, calls SheetType. Prevents non-character tokens that lack property values from causing errors and prompting for values-->
[SelectedCount=listCount(getSelected())]
[frame("Sheet"): 
{
	<html>
	<link rel="onChangeSelection" type="macro" href="[r: macroLinkText('Sheet@Lib:Sheet', 'none','','selected')]"></link>
	<head><title>Character Sheet</title></head>
	[r, if(state.Character == 1 && SelectedCount <= 1), code:
	{
		[r, macro("SheetType@Lib:Sheet"):macro.args]
	};
	{
		<table width="100%"><tr><td align="center"><b>
		[r, if(SelectedCount <= 1): "This is not a character token."; "Multiple tokens selected."]
		</b></td></tr></table>
	}]
	</html>
}]
Last edited by Sir Flak on Sat May 30, 2009 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

DeviantNull
Dragon

Post by DeviantNull »

Sir Flak wrote:You have probably noticed by now that there is a slightly annoying side effect to the performance fix I submitted.
I discovered this pretty early on and had it on the to-do list. But between work and another fun bout of computer problems I haven't had a whole lot of time. I've been slowly grinding away at a few other things, so this is a big help. Thanks!

hyperactiveChipmunk
Cave Troll

Post by hyperactiveChipmunk »

One more bug: in the Equipment field of the Equipment tab, if you have HTML line breaks in the field, it jacks up when you open it for editing again.

Also, a question: am I missing something, or is there no way to specify bonuses on a magic item? Amulets, for instance, add their enhancement bonus to Fortitude, Reflex, and Will. Is there a field for specifying their enhancement bonus, or do I manually edit the appropriate defenses whenever the item is equipped and removed?

-hC

DeviantNull
Dragon

Post by DeviantNull »

hyperactiveChipmunk wrote:One more bug: in the Equipment field of the Equipment tab, if you have HTML line breaks in the field, it jacks up when you open it for editing again.
Yeah... it needs the dual input type setup I did for other text areas. This is an issue with textfields and HTML. I like 'em, there just isn't a way to get the HTML you put in back out with out it breaking.
Also, a question: am I missing something, or is there no way to specify bonuses on a magic item? Amulets, for instance, add their enhancement bonus to Fortitude, Reflex, and Will. Is there a field for specifying their enhancement bonus, or do I manually edit the appropriate defenses whenever the item is equipped and removed?
Magic items don't fiddle with defenses and you have to manually edit them to add any additional bonuses. Wasn't originally designed to do a bunch of on the fly recalcs. But it's something I am working on. Requires a slight redesign or some finesse to get to work correctly and not fall apart when an equipped item is changed or edited due to the way I track magic items.

devfrag
Kobold

Post by devfrag »

I've read a decent amount of this thread and it looks like and amazing piece of work. I'm looking to start a 4e campaign. I'm brand new to Maptools et al... and it seems that automation is the general theme, which I'm all for, but I have some newbie DM questions...
  • How would these tools fit into new maptools DM/PC, scenario?

If it's "new DM/PC friendly" will there be a lot of back end maintenance (i.e. constant updates, fixes, downloads, etc...)?
I have downloaded it and tried it a couple of times but never got it to "load" in maptools. Admittedly it was a weak attempt to get it running, but I was trying to get it working from a "new user" perspective. I don't mind digging into the nuts and bolts myself, but I'm not sure how willing some of my PC's will be.

Thanks

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”