[1.3b50] Duplicate token numbering

Confirmed bugs should get a single post here. Check the READ ME FIRST sticky thread for the format.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice, MapTool BugReport Manager

Forum rules
Posts that do not conform to the READ ME FIRST sticky thread are subject to deletion.
Mortani
Giant

[1.3b50] Duplicate token numbering

Post by Mortani »

Not sure when this stopped working, I think it was earlier than b50 though. When setting the preference for "Duplicate token numbering" to "Random 2-digit"; it works fine for new Tokens brought in off map. If you copy and paste an existing token however, it uses the "Increment" method ignoring your preference.

galneweinhaw
Dragon

Re: [1.3b50] Duplicate token numbering

Post by galneweinhaw »

Hey Mortani, I wasn't able to reproduce this. Can you double check? maybe it's already been fixed =)
galneweinhaw = galileo newton einstein hawking

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Actually, I'm having this happen with b56. :( When I copy/paste a token, it doesn't get the randomized two-digit value on the end, instead it gets incremented. I've checked my preferences and the Randomize option is turned on. Even looking through the code, I can't determine why it might choose the code path that does the increment instead. (The one option is that it thinks that all two-digit entries are already in use, but that doesn't make any sense in my situation.)

galneweinhaw
Dragon

Post by galneweinhaw »

I've been sending the things (mostly bugs right now) that I plan on tackling to Trevor for coord, but I 'll post in the bug thread too. Azhrei, is there some other method you use among the contributors? last time I contributed regularily (like 2 years ago) There wasn't anyone else so this is a little different... =P

-Oh, and this bug is going down! (I orginally coded these options anyway =)

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

galneweinhaw wrote:I've been sending the things (mostly bugs right now) that I plan on tackling to Trevor for coord, but I 'll post in the bug thread too. Azhrei, is there some other method you use among the contributors? [...]
Nope, we pretty much send everything to Trevor. If you want feedback before sending them to him, or if he's sitting on a bunch of patches because he needs to get something he's working on into shape before releasing, you're always welcome to post a patch that those with source can apply to their code base for testing purposes. Or put up a JAR file for others to test.

Check out the thread linked from my signature and read through it to get an idea of what people are working on. Come to think of it, I probably need to update mine...

galneweinhaw
Dragon

Post by galneweinhaw »

The random numbering is working for me on the token layer, but not the others (hidden, object, and background)

Can you guys confirm?

Is there a need for this on the other layers? Do the players ever see those names?

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

They do if I place things there and then move them later. :)

However, I can't modify the halo for objects, so I often have to create tokens, set the halo and other properties, then move it to the Hidden or Object layers (where the halso and such continue to appear). Now I can move it back to the Token layer when appropriate.

But in any case, it should work the same regardless of layer.

galneweinhaw
Dragon

Post by galneweinhaw »

Azhrei wrote:But in any case, it should work the same regardless of layer.
Good point. Totally agree.

galneweinhaw
Dragon

Post by galneweinhaw »

Relavent code located.

I don't think this is a bug (unexpected behaviour) because the spot in the preferences dialog where you choose the naming options are specifically in the token preferences group, and not object or background.

The code specifically picks out only tokens to name according to these options.

Properly changing this behaviour would mean adding a new option in that dialog (yay!)

I'm a huge fan of options and preferences, but I don't think new stuff is allowed before the release.

Thoughts?

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Back when the random-numbering went in the discussion was that no one could come up with a reason for randomly numbering objects or background tiles.

Don't know that the preferences dialog needs to have additional clutter for something that no one has come up with a use for.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Phergus wrote:Back when the random-numbering went in the discussion was that no one could come up with a reason for randomly numbering objects or background tiles.
What about the Hidden layer? I will often drag my bad guys from the Library to the Hidden layer so that players can't see them while I get them setup to run. (I'm mostly dragging images and not rptoks, hence the "setup" step.) I would definitely want then to be randomly numbered.

What I do now for encounters with lots of similar bad guys is find a large VBL area and drag the images into the VBL on the Token layer. That works but is a little kludgey.

But I'll ask again: is there any reason for the program to NOT be consistent and use the checkbox for all four layers?

galneweinhaw
Dragon

Post by galneweinhaw »

Azhrei wrote:..But I'll ask again: is there any reason for the program to NOT be consistent and use the checkbox for all four layers?
I like it.

won't this all be moot though with configurable layers? =D

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Azhrei wrote:But I'll ask again: is there any reason for the program to NOT be consistent and use the checkbox for all four layers?
You mean other than not wanting my objects or background tiles to have random numbers appended to them?

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Phergus wrote:
Azhrei wrote:But I'll ask again: is there any reason for the program to NOT be consistent and use the checkbox for all four layers?
You mean other than not wanting my objects or background tiles to have random numbers appended to them?
Hmm. So how would you handle having three knives on a table and a player wants to pick one up? Wouldn't he have to tell you which one? If you don't have an identifier on the knife, how would the player do that?

And once you start using generic names for all chairs (they're all just called "chair") what happens when you want one of them to be different? But you can't, because it'll automatically set off flags to the players when you ask, "Which chair are you sitting in?"

Of course, the obvious solution is don't put any chairs on your maps. ;)

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Didn't say no numbers. Said I didn't want random numbers on objects. Frequently I want a set of objects to be numbered sequentially.

If there are a set of 6 columns across the back wall of a room and notes have been placed on the objects, I don't want the players seeing Column 27, Column 4, Column 16, etc. when they bring up the notes.

Return to “Bug Reports”