Lindsay's Generic Tools (Whisper, Move Tokens, Handouts)

These are tools and utilities that make it easier to run games. This includes Lib: macro tokens dropped into MapTool to manage the game, a conversion file for CharacterTool to allow use in MapTool, or just about anything else you can think of -- except graphics with macros and anything specific to a particular campaign framework. Those are already covered by the Tilesets subforum and the Links and External Resources forum.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Lindsay's Generic Tools (Whisper, Move Tokens, Handouts)

Post by lmarkus001 »

I have been adding various elements to my D&D3.5/Pathfinder Framework that keep getting asked for without the framework bloat. So I pulled several of the generic (but useful) tools out and put them on a token that should be framework agnostic.

DOWNLOAD LINK: MT1.3.61_WhisperHandoutsMapMove01.zip UPDATED!
MT1.3.61_WhisperHandoutsMapMove01.zip
(942.78 KiB) Downloaded 478 times
The tools provided here are:

Start Map & Location -- Use the macro: setStartMap to identify a map name and x,y coordinate that will be loaded when the campaign is loaded (or players connect). You can easily get the x,y coordinates by mousing over your desired location and then read them from the MapTool lower right tool bar.

Whisper Frame -- A pop-up a frame that eases sending whispers to multiple players.
Screen Shot
Move Tokens to Map -- This provides a mechanism to store way points and then allows the GM to select tokens and move them (and their initiatives) to the desired way point.
Dialog Images
Choosing which map to send the selected tokens too:

Choosing the move-to point:

The result after the move:

GM configuring the move-to points for the campaign. NOTE: If you change field entries then hit any button other than Save, your field changes will be lost.
TeleportPad -- This provides a mechanism to move tokens (and their initiatives) to the map & x,y location of the TeleportPad token. The GM places the TeleportPad token at the desired location and runs the SummonPlayers macro that is on the TeleportPad token. This will send a message to chat that has a link in it. The players then select their token(s) and click the link. This will move their token(s) to the map & x,y coordinates the GM specified. (Thanks DrVesuvius )

Token Handout -- This uses a tokens' images/notes as the data source and sends a link to chat that will pop up a dialog window with the desired info.
Dialog Images
Define what info to send from the selected token:

Choose which players are to receive the token-handout:

A sample token-handout. The handout is the frame in the upper right corner. This was created by selecting the Hero token and choosing to send the token image and the GM Notes from that image:
Global Handout System -- This uses a table to store your handout data, and restricts access at the token level.
Dialog Images
Configuring the Handouts:
Here the GM specifies the various database elements of the handouts.

Handout Access:
Granting access to specific handouts

Sample Handout:
This is a sample handout dialog that the players would see.

If the handout has a background image, then this pre-fetch dialog will be presented before the handout dialog. This is an interim work around to deal with a current MapTools image loading bug.

Sample Handouts Table:
Here you enter the text and images of your handouts. The table name can be changed for added player security. Rich HTML is allowed for the text.
What is required:
  • The library token Lib:libLGMUtil must be on ONE map of the campaign, on the Hidden layer and must be "Visible to Players".
  • Once added to the campaign file, the file must be saved and reloaded (this loads the user defined functions).
  • A table to store handouts is necessary. By default the table name "Handouts" is used, but that is configurable.
  • A set of campaign macros are needed (which means the server setting to propagate them is required).
  • The TeleportPad token should be placed on each map in your campaign.
  • Launch MapTools with a 2M stack size.
Parts/Installation
  • MT1.3.59_WhisperHandoutsMapMove01.cmpgn -- a sample campaign file so you can see the tools in action
  • MT1.3.59_WhisperHandoutsMapMove_LibraryToken01.rptok -- The library token. Only one copy is allowed to be in your campaign file, and the token should be on the Hidden layer, have "Visible to Players" checked on (is the default), and must be named exactly: Lib:libLGMUtil
  • MT1.3.56_WhisperHandoutsMapMove_CampaignMacros02.mtmacset -- the Campaign Macros (right click on the Campaign Macros window and select "Import Macro Set" and import this set). Alternately you can drag these macros from the library token (I put a copy of them there too).
  • MT1.3.56_WhisperHandoutsMapMove_HandoutsTable01.mttable -- A sample handout table. (You can import this one, or create your own table.)
  • MT1.3.59_WhisperHandoutsMapMove_LibraryToken01.rptok -- The TeleportPad token.
Once you have added the library token, imported the campaign macros, and imported/created the table, you need to save and then reload your campaign (this runs the OnCampaignLoad macro and adds the user defined functions). When you start your server, you need to select
Players receive campaign macros
Issues with other libraries:
The library token for this toolset defines user defined functions which could be an issue if you already have these functions defined in your framework/campaign file:
json.pset()
json.pget()
json.pappend()
json.paths()

Do not use this token with my framework, these tools are built into the framework.
ChangeLog
B61_01
======
  • Start Map -- New functionality.
  • MoveTokensToMap & TeleportPad -- Now maintain the tokens initiative from map to map. Also, these move the player's view so they follow their token.
B59_01
======
  • Whisper Frame now clears the text box after Send.
  • MoveTokensToMap -- Now has a "scatter" option that will spread the tokens in a 3x3 grid.
  • TeleportPad -- New functionality.
Last edited by aliasmask on Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:39 pm, edited 21 times in total.
Reason: Added file as attachment 3-13-14

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Re: Lindsay's Generic Tools

Post by lmarkus001 »

Saved for future cause that seems to be the thing to do.

MeMeMe
Dragon

Re: Lindsay's Generic Tools (Whisper, Move Tokens, Handouts)

Post by MeMeMe »

Now that I've had a chance to use them, these are awesome. The move tokens to map feature was one I didn't realise I needed, but now see just how useful it is.
MapTools Forks: Thread

Natha
Dragon

Post by Natha »

lmarkus001, this looks great !
Thanks for sharing.
ImageImageImageImage

Natha
Dragon

Post by Natha »

Would you mind if I translated them into french and put them to download on my website ?
ImageImageImageImage

biodude
Dragon

Post by biodude »

Super-Duper. These are cool, and will most likely find a home in my custom franken-framework.

One question: how easy would it be to remove the name restriction on the token? Not that I'm really complaining about the name, but I thought with user-defined functions, "@this", and the fact that Wiki: getLibProperty() defaults to the libToken the macro is on, that the name of the Lib:token didn't have to be so important.

Thanks for sharing all your great work.
"The trouble with communicating is believing you have achieved it"
[ d20 StatBlock Importer ] [ Batch Edit Macros ] [ Canned Speech UI ] [ Lib: Math ]

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

Natha wrote:Would you mind if I translated them into french and put them to download on my website ?
Of course not! Feel free to do whatever with these tools!

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

biodude wrote:Super-Duper. These are cool, and will most likely find a home in my custom franken-framework.

One question: how easy would it be to remove the name restriction on the token? Not that I'm really complaining about the name, but I thought with user-defined functions, "@this", and the fact that Wiki: getLibProperty() defaults to the libToken the macro is on, that the name of the Lib:token didn't have to be so important.

Thanks for sharing all your great work.
Humm... good points. I just pulled the code out of my framework which has evolved as MapTools macro capability evolved... so when originally written @this ether did not exist or was a bit buggy. If I find myself bored on a rainy day I will see if I can remove the library name restriction.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Lindsay, you might try using the onCampaignLoad to create user-defined functions that access "@this". Then the name of the Lib: token can change without ever affecting other code. :)

Oh, and make the UDF something like "lm.ChangeMap" or something so it doesn't collide with someone else's UDFs. :)

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

Ok I did a small rework so the library name is no longer critical. I also added better messages when you move tokens. I changed the original link to the new version.

One CAUTION! If you already configured Handouts or Move-To points, you will need to copy-paste the properties on the token you originally used (setup the LGMUtil campaign property set so you can see the properties).

biodude
Dragon

Post by biodude »

Wow, that was fast. Thanks for making even easier to use!
I can grasp the concepts at work in all these macro utilities and frameworks, but just never seem to be able to actually put them together into a useful tool as quickly as many of you.
Stoopid PhD... :wink:
"The trouble with communicating is believing you have achieved it"
[ d20 StatBlock Importer ] [ Batch Edit Macros ] [ Canned Speech UI ] [ Lib: Math ]

PinkRose
Dragon

Post by PinkRose »

This is perfect.
And awesome.
And so creative.
Thank you.
I am a special snowflake!

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

(Note: I originally posted an error but found out later that it was my issue - I needed to add -Xss512K in Eclipse. So as a result, I deleted the 3-4 posts in this thread so that the original posters awesome code doesn't look broken. :) )
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

Updated with a couple of minor tweaks and added the TeleportPad from DrVesuvius.

pelwer
Cave Troll

Post by pelwer »

Lindsay,

FYI - I don't see the token scatter behavior in the latest release.

BTW - awesome tools! Thanks for sharing.

Pat.
A little nonsense, now and then, is relished by the wisest men. - Willy Wonka

Currently playing Savage Worlds in the home-brew world of Shadora.
We are looking for players! PM me if interested.

Return to “Drop-In Macro Resources”