Visual reminder of exceeded movement

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Rumble
Deity

Re: Visual reminder of exceeded movement

Post by Rumble »

Azhrei wrote:This can be done without too much trouble. If Rumble right-clicks on the build.xml and builds the project, the output will be a JAR file with the version number embedded in it. He'll have to edit the file containing that number (I think it's build.number?) prior to the build so that it won't get incremented to b57.

Also, I put some code in a few releases back that allowed a command line option to force a particular version, but it hasn't been merged. It was a semi-complicated scheme that allowed the deployed JAR to accept a version number from the command line and turn on additional debugging output. So a developer could make 1.3.b57 look like 1.3.b56, for example, for the purpose of testing data passing over the network or loading/saving of campaign data. But as I said, it's not there in b56.
Ah, okay, I'll give that a shot.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Saagael wrote:If you figure out how to get a build made to be sent out I wouldn't mind debugging this. So long as I can use your build, and my players can use the white-bread normal b56 build to connect to me.
I don't think that it will work if all the people aren't using the build with this stuff in it (that is, I don't know if it'll work if only the GM has the terrain stuff - I doubt it).

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

The build fails with "Pack200Task cannot be found." I'll keep working on it, though.

Ah, okay, I got that sorted. I can complete an unsigned build (I have to fiddle with the path because jarsigner.exe isn't turning up, but that's okay).

Interestingly, nonmodified B56 builds can connect to a server running my modifications (so long as I "fake" the build number on my test version to be b56). The movement highlighting and terrain doesn't work (doesn't even exist) on the unmodified b56 builds, but it doesn't break them, either.

I didn't expect that - but I guess that if there's stuff the client doesn't recognize, then it just doesn't do anything with it.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Rumble wrote:I didn't expect that - but I guess that if there's stuff the client doesn't recognize, then it just doesn't do anything with it.
Bingo!

Which is why I added that development code I mentioned ... to allow for easier testing between versions. It was pretty ugly, though, which is probably why Trevor didn't merge it. ;) But I keep it in my own version as it's pretty handy. For example, I enable the map load/save stuff yet run the tool using "1.3.b56" as the version so that I can load/save maps from existing campaigns. When I use SaveAs on the campaign, it's still written out as 1.3.b56 so that it can be read back in by an unmodified build.

pmbruner
Dragon

Post by pmbruner »

So did this really cool thing get submitted to be included in a build?

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

pmbruner wrote:So did this really cool thing get submitted to be included in a build?
I submitted it a while ago, but there are a few things that mitigate against it:

1. It was a new feature late in the game for 1.3.
2. It touched a lot of code.
3. In the intervening builds there were several significant changes in code that it was based on, so what I wrote wouldn't work anyway.

Now, come 1.4, I would be happy to re-evaluate the feature and see what will be possible, but what I did is not going to happen in 1.3, unless Trevor felt like implementing the concept himself.

pmbruner
Dragon

Post by pmbruner »

Thanks for the reply Rumble. I for one still like the idea, so I hope it makes it into 1.4 early on.

Illiani
Giant

Post by Illiani »

Rumble wrote:Now, come 1.4, I would be happy to re-evaluate the feature and see what will be possible, but what I did is not going to happen in 1.3, unless Trevor felt like implementing the concept himself.
I can't speak for anybody else but I would really like to see this implemented as soon as possible.

Big_Mac
Dragon

Post by Big_Mac »

Yep ASAP is 1.4.
--
Big Mac

Nonsapient
Cave Troll

Post by Nonsapient »

i would REALLY like to see this implemented.

Mekton uses modifiers based on total movement distance, and having the ability to track this would be very helpful.

jop
Kobold

Post by jop »

Hi,

I'd like to try the great feature developed by rumble in my maptool WFRP campaign, I don't mind it's not complete, just want to look at the patch and compile a custom version - I don't really know where to start modifying the source to develop a similar feature, and a patch would be really helpful. Where can I find it?

Thanks and Keep Up the Good Work!!
J

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

There is no patch available to do this; the last viable patch would have worked with MapTool 1.3.b56 (and only 1.3.b56), but unfortunately I no longer have access to the code I wrote for that patch (it disappeared during a computer crash).

So basically, this feature is no longer available. I'm sorry the news isn't better. :(

jop
Kobold

Post by jop »

Noooo, that is bad news indeed :-(

I've just read the timestamp above the last post....2009...I didn't see it before :-)
....So, I'll have to develop this from start. Is there any similar work currently active that I can take as an example?
The terrain cost multiplier was REALLY a good feature.

Thanks anyway :-)

J

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Gioppo was working on movement blocking and terrain, but I don't think the code is available anywhere.

Return to “MapTool”