Bundled apps for Mac OS X

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

maddog
Cave Troll

Bundled apps for Mac OS X

Post by maddog »

I liked the app version of MapTool so much I decided to do the same thing for the other tools. After some digging I found Jar Bundler and set up InitiativeTool, CharacterTool, DiceTool and TokenTool with nice Mac OS-friendly bundles with icons and everything. The menus don't go to the menubar because I didn't hack any of the code - just bundled up the jars.

My questions: Is anyone else interested in using these tools in this format?

And 2) If so, where would I upload them. I would assume it would be most useful if I rolled them up in dmgs first...

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: Bundled apps for Mac OS X

Post by Azhrei »

Hmm. If you will upload them somewhere and put a link to them here on the forum, I'll subscribe to that thread (so I get emailed on new replies) and then I'll grab'em and put them on the Download page of the main site.

Although I suppose if we're going to go through that trouble, we may as well update the source code to integrate nicely with the Mac GUI. It's only a few lines of code to integrate as the LAF stuff has already been done. (Can't remember the name of the forum user that did the work. Something-Dog?)

heyes
Giant

Post by heyes »

maddog wrote:I liked the app version of MapTool so much I decided to do the same thing for the other tools. After some digging I found Jar Bundler and set up InitiativeTool, CharacterTool, DiceTool and TokenTool with nice Mac OS-friendly bundles with icons and everything. The menus don't go to the menubar because I didn't hack any of the code - just bundled up the jars.

My questions: Is anyone else interested in using these tools in this format?

And 2) If so, where would I upload them. I would assume it would be most useful if I rolled them up in dmgs first...
Yes please!

jmurrayufo
Cave Troll

Post by jmurrayufo »

I would make use of this, along with about half my group of players.

maddog
Cave Troll

Post by maddog »

Sorry for my late reply, everyone. I didn't realize that I wasn't being notified by email when there was a comment on this thread. I have now corrected that.

The dmgs are available at http://ecyclops.com/rptools.html

If you would like to load them up somewhere else, too, that's fine.

If the powers that be would prefer I take them down once they're transferred elsewhere, that's fine.

heyes
Giant

Post by heyes »

maddog wrote:Sorry for my late reply, everyone. I didn't realize that I wasn't being notified by email when there was a comment on this thread. I have now corrected that.

The dmgs are available at http://ecyclops.com/rptools.html

If you would like to load them up somewhere else, too, that's fine.

If the powers that be would prefer I take them down once they're transferred elsewhere, that's fine.
Well, character tool still won't work on 10.5.8 macintels without some kind of hinky craziness. I hear Soyalttee mocha or something like that will help, but it won't work natively.. Le Sigh.

maddog
Cave Troll

Post by maddog »

heyes wrote:
Well, character tool still won't work on 10.5.8 macintels without some kind of hinky craziness. I hear Soyalttee mocha or something like that will help, but it won't work natively.. Le Sigh.
Craig posted instructions here:
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4450
(about half-way down that first page - I'm not sure what etiquette is for re-posting it here...)

You don't need Soylatte, since that is just a different Java install, and 10.5.8 supports Java 6 already. If Initiative Tool works you'll only need to install JavaScript and Rhino, parts 2 and 3 of Craig's instructions.

In order to specify Java 6 for the apps you can use Apple's Java Preferences program. On my machine this is located at /Applications/Utilities. Drag Java 6 to the top, so it is used by default, and you're good.Image
(Actually, I think I already specified Java 6 for the apps that need it when I used JarBundler.)

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

maddog wrote:If you would like to load them up somewhere else, too, that's fine.
I have grabbed them and will put them on the main site some time today...
I see no reason to do that. In fact, if you're going to keep up with this I'll even add a note that the Mac builds are always available at "..." and link to your location. That way if I'm slow in getting the Mac builds onto the main site, people can always find the latest at the original location. :)

maddog
Cave Troll

Post by maddog »

Okay, I've prettified the page a little, and I've also added links to the JavaScript and Rhino downloads necessary for Character Tool. I've also thrown together a little script application to put the files from the downloads into the places they belong without having to unzip the whole thing. That is also now linked on my page.

http://ecyclops.com/rptools.html

maddog
Cave Troll

Post by maddog »

After a long absence I have finally returned and updated the package bundles. InitiativeTool, CharacterTool and the latest MapTool (1.3.b69 - one beta version newer than available at rptools.net) are now available as downloadable disk images from http://www.ecyclops.com/rptools.html

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Thanks for the service. I'll grab the MapTool .dmg and put it on the RPTools download page. (Do you happen to have an ANT task for building the .dmg file? If so I could add that to the build process and automate it.)

maddog
Cave Troll

Post by maddog »

Azhrei wrote:(Do you happen to have an ANT task for building the .dmg file? If so I could add that to the build process and automate it.)
I don't. I'm afraid I don't even know what an ANT task is (except extremely generally). I've been using Apple's JAR Bundler to make the application bundles, essentially by hand. Mind you, with JAR Bundler, this is a relatively easy process.

I suppose this makes for a perfect opportunity for me to branch out and learn about ANT and how to code a task in it. <sigh />

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Heh, only if you feel compelled. ;)

It shouldn't be too tough. Just read the description of the fields required in the ANT task and type in some XML elements after looking through a few examples (that's what I would do). I have the JarBundler unpacked but I haven't tried it against the MapTool project yet. Just not as high a priority as fixing bugs. :roll:

Return to “User Creations”