Hero 6E Macros

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

pmbruner
Dragon

Hero 6E Macros

Post by pmbruner »

Hero 6E Base Campaign as of 8/30/09

Initial Features
  • Supports Hero Sixth Edition characteristics
  • Has sample tokens with macros for each of the types of attacks, skills, and powers
  • Incorporates code to support critical successes and failures
  • Accepts input of roll modifiers for skill levels, GM Mods, Range Mods, etc
  • Added Characteristic Input Macro
  • Added Skill Level Input Macro
Use Notes
  • Developed using Maptools 1.3b56 so this code/campaign file may not work on older versions
  • In Maptool Preferences you must have tooltips enabled or your macro output will be garbled
Please note that this work is based on a collaborative effort of many people, and unashamed, unabashed palagarization of others existing code. Of particular note Brad, Beauwolf, Necron99, RPMiller, Rumble, Biodude, and patoace. Many others have patiently offered help, advice, and spent time trouble shooting my code errors. You know what they say about standing on the shoulders of giants...
Attachments
Base Hero 6E 30 Aug 09.cmpgn
(217.94 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
Last edited by pmbruner on Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.

RPMiller
Demigod

Re: Hero 6E Macros

Post by RPMiller »

Just posting so that I stay informed.
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

Beowulfe
Cave Troll

Post by Beowulfe »

I would throw my hat into the ring too. As I posted on the other thread, my suggestion is that we use 6e as an opportunity to do the reorg and clean up of Brad's macros. I figure this way we can change any variables and macros without making it so people would have to go back and update a bunch of tokens.

pmbruner
Dragon

Post by pmbruner »

There are some major differences that affect the campaign properties in 6E. The biggest thing is that Dex and Ego have nothing to do with OCV or OMCV (formerly called ECV). They are primary characteristics in their own right, starting with a base of 3 (regardless of your Dex of Ego score), and being bought up from there with character points.

What this means for the conversion effort is that any combat rolls based on OCV or ECV have to call these new characterisitcs, and not be calculated using Dex or Ego divided by 3.

In addition Comliness is gone from the game, replaced by the Talent "Striking Appearance" which acts like a Skill Level adding pluses or dice to PRE based skills or Pre Attacks.

The other thing is that movement is no longer based on hexes inches, it is based on meters. Most characters start with a base move of 12 meters. So assigning a campaign movement property of 12 is where I started and I have set the units per cell to equal 2.

These are the main changes that I see. I agree with Beowulfe that this is probably the best opportunity to reorg the code base while we do the changes. So that is all of the good news, the bad news is that my work situation is changing so I will have less time to devote to helping with this... though I will try and contribute where I can.

Beowulfe
Cave Troll

Post by Beowulfe »

The best place to start would be from the beginning. First, we assess people's comfort level and skill levels with the coding. Has anybody worked with json objects much? Who is good at the HTML formatting for character sheet? Does anybody have anything they feel they are particularily good at?

Second, we need to decide on how things work and get an overview of how things will work. I would say we take each action that needs to be done and walk through the steps to accomplish it. That will give an idea of what macros to have. For example, to set up characteristics: you have to access current values and display them, then you enter new values, save those values.

Third, where will variables be stored, what naming conventions to use, etc.

What are the opinions about multiple Lib files? Maybe one for combat, one for character sheet, and one for rules. Pros: better organization. Cons: more tokens to save, another source of confusion.

For properties on token, I say just have the base ones players would enter: str, dex, etc. The calculated values (aided, drained, damage, etc) would be handled with the set and getProperty functions. That way players cannot go and just change willy nilly and GMs wishing to customize the campaign file do not accidently break it by changing formulas or values that should not be changed. Plus it just looks cleaner. ;)

I say put as much of the rolling on the character sheet as possible instead of macros to click. On the combat sheet you can have the hyperlinks that start and end your initiative. All stat rolls should just be hyperlinked like Brad has for skills now.

The macros for the player tokens should just call the main macro from the appropriate lib token. Again cuts down on accident changes breaking the file. I think it also might help with lag since instead of having to load multiple copies of macro files, you are just loading one.

These are just my thoughts. Ideas, thoughts suggestions? Brad, your input would be invaluable if anything I've suggested that you have already tried and found problematic.

Beowulfe
Cave Troll

Post by Beowulfe »

Here is a sample campaign file I started to give an idea of what I was thinking.

And here is a link to a character sheet somebody else has done that I thought we could use as a guideline. http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7796
Attachments
Hero6e.cmpgn
(218.97 KiB) Downloaded 46 times

pmbruner
Dragon

Post by pmbruner »

Cool, I will look this over...

pmbruner
Dragon

Post by pmbruner »

Ok this is not pretty... yet. But it is fully functional. I have added a floating dockable, resizable stat sheet that pops up on mouseover (thanks to Beowulf for putting this bee in my bonnet, and Biodude for the original code it was based on). I have sample macros for most Hero type stuff. This is no where near as automated as Brad's code, but you can see where I am headed with some things. My player group has decided they don't want to much automation. I will be working on the macro to edit the token properties/characterisitcs next. I want it to mimic Brads Characterisitc input for quickly adding or editing the properties. After that hit location tables...

I have edited the file to correct a bug in the dex based skill roll on Megaman, and I added a Phases field to the popup stat sheet to display what phases the character moves in.
Last edited by pmbruner on Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beowulfe
Cave Troll

Post by Beowulfe »

The pop up character sheet is problematic for me. If you even just move the mouse over a token, it pops up. Too distracting and in some cases, made it too difficult to select different tab (chat, selected, etc) because the character sheet kept popping up. I like the macro button to click that brings the sheet up.

The other big thing is too much redundant code. Each token has it's own copies of all the macros. And even macros within a token have the same code. That's why I suggested a overview of what steps are needed to accomplish each task. Figure out what is redundant. Pull it out into its own macro and then have macros call it.

Otherwise, it was a good start.

pmbruner
Dragon

Post by pmbruner »

Yeah I agree about the distraction, especially if you leave it free floating. I docked mine with the top of the map window and then collapse it so it only opens when I click it.

As for the redundant code... Yep, but as you pointed out it is a start and I needed a some working code for a game this weekend. Initially I was going to attempt modifying Brad's code, but my code-fu is weak and in no time I was hopelessly lost and confused, so I started from scratch, and that is where I am at. This was by no means meant to be the finished product, more like a starting point for a pre-pre alpha test...

Going forward I will continue to work towards our goal of centralized code blocks, and more automation, but for me there is going to be a learning curve.

pmbruner
Dragon

Post by pmbruner »

I have uploaded a newer updated 6E base campaign file
some notes...

I know that a lot of this is rehash of old code. I am having to do it this way so that I can learn as I go. Once I understand a process, then I/we can work on streamlining it. One thing I am struggling with is that my group seems to prefer actual seperate macros for skills, powers, etc rather than clickable lists. This has been influencing and guiding my initial efforts.

Now that I have a working macro to edit token properties, I will concentrate on learning how to make it work through the lib:token process... though some of the lib macros seem to me to be coded using the FM style of code. Once I get that figured out I will look at ways to code using one central code block that can be called by multiple macro types. The one central code block process will be huge when I start to tackle hit locations, as I want to include all of the tables from both the beastiary and TUV.

FM = Freakin Magic :D

Beowulfe
Cave Troll

Post by Beowulfe »

Well, the list vs macro is easy since you can have both. Doing macro buttons would serve the same function since both the link from the character sheet and the macro would call the same macro from the lib token.

What is the FM code style?

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

Beowulfe wrote:Well, the list vs macro is easy since you can have both. Doing macro buttons would serve the same function since both the link from the character sheet and the macro would call the same macro from the lib token.

What is the FM code style?
pmbruner wrote:FM = Freakin Magic :D
:)
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

I think many campaigns would find individual macro buttons for powers(at least the most used ones) very useful. As Beowulf said though, you can have both. You will be able to see an example of that in the 5th ed framework within the next month I am guessing. I am going to put in a macro that will create shortcut buttons to whatever power you want in the list of powers. That way people can have their buttons or use lists or some combination of both.
View MapTool video tutorials at RPToolsTutorials.net

pmbruner
Dragon

Post by pmbruner »

As always Brad you ROCK!!!

I am slowly (as in glacially) starting to learn some of this macro stuff. Mostly by copying some bit of code or a macro and then changing something. Then I run the macro and see what happened. About half the time I get that stupid, non-informative big math error. But I will keep at it.

Anyone that wants to grab the code I posted, and add to or improve it is most welcome. The more cooks in the kitchen the better the quisine :D

Return to “User Creations”