New roll options - request for feedback

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
plothos
Great Wyrm

Re: New roll options - request for feedback

Post by plothos »

Yay.
These would be very handy. We do have that whole outputTo() thing going on, but it's rather inelegant in practice, if ingenious in invention, IMO.
Drop-In Utilities:
My Spell Manager for D&D3.5 and PFRPG
My Inventory Manager for D&D and PFRPG, but more generally useable than that.
My Message Manager -- My Top-Down D&D Token Images
and my Custom Initiative & Status/Spell-Effect Tracker (work in progress, but functional).

Orchard
Great Wyrm

Post by Orchard »

Mr. Pokeylope wrote:/me casts Thread Necromancy

So, uh... hi again!

I guess I kinda disappeared there for a while, and so the parser changed rather drastically. (Nice job k.fan, by the way; it definitely needed to be cleaned up, and it looks a lot nicer now.) So, after getting things figured out, I redid and finished the implementation for these options. I'm not completely happy with some things, but that's primarily due to how the chat system is currently implemented (I am very much looking forward to 1.4 and potentially rewriting the whole chat framework from scratch, but that is perhaps a discussion for another day).

So, what I have currently functional are the three options s(elf), g(m), and w(hisper). w takes either a string or a JSON array of names. I'm not sure if it's worth implementing the tooltip options I had mentioned, although at least the one to display the tooltip only for yourself would be useful. I'm not sure when Trevor's planning on releasing b57, but hopefully I'll have a patch ready soon so this can make it in by then.

And, as always, let me know if you have any feedback. Thanks!
Whoa! He LIVES!!!

Hey man, glad to know you weren't actually eaten by a tribe of Githyanki Space Marauders. That was my personal theory. I don't think they would have actually qualified as cannibals, per se, but still...

All said, glad to note you are back, and here's looking to great progress!
0+0=1, for very unstable CPUs.

aku
Dragon

Post by aku »

Orchard wrote:

So, uh... hi again!

I guess I kinda disappeared there for a while, and so the parser changed rather drastically. (Nice job k.fan, by the way; it definitely needed to be cleaned up, and it looks a lot nicer now.) So, after getting things figured out, I redid and finished the implementation for these options. I'm not completely happy with some things, but that's primarily due to how the chat system is currently implemented (I am very much looking forward to 1.4 and potentially rewriting the whole chat framework from scratch, but that is perhaps a discussion for another day).

So, what I have currently functional are the three options s(elf), g(m), and w(hisper). w takes either a string or a JSON array of names. I'm not sure if it's worth implementing the tooltip options I had mentioned, although at least the one to display the tooltip only for yourself would be useful. I'm not sure when Trevor's planning on releasing b57, but hopefully I'll have a patch ready soon so this can make it in by then.

Whoa! He LIVES!!!

Hey man, glad to know you weren't actually eaten by a tribe of Githyanki Space Marauders. That was my personal theory. I don't think they would have actually qualified as cannibals, per se, but still...

Nope, they wouldnt have, since githyanki, are well, githyanki, not human, you can only be a cannibal if you're eating your own species. human eating human = cannibal, lion eating human = tasty snack

Orchard
Great Wyrm

Post by Orchard »

aku wrote:
Orchard wrote:

So, uh... hi again!

Whoa! He LIVES!!!

Nope, they wouldnt have, since githyanki, are well, githyanki, not human, you can only be a cannibal if you're eating your own species. human eating human = cannibal, lion eating human = tasty snack
That's how I see it aku...

Either way, it's good too see that Mr. Pokeylope wasn't eaten by Githyanki Space Marauders after all. Of course, I'm just curious about one thing now. What do I do with all these anti-Githyanki armor-suits now? I was all set to go on a mission of revenge & death, but I suppose that won't be necessary now.
0+0=1, for very unstable CPUs.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

(The cannibalism subthread has been forked to here should anyone wish to pursue it. ;))

For my own $0.02, I'm very glad to see these options added to the MapTool base. I do agree that with luck 1.4 will have a rewritten chat module, hopefully something that uses Java interfaces (and factory classes) so that the module could be more easily replaced in the future. I'm not sure how necessary that would be for the chat window, but it's a general trend that I would like to see implemented throughout the code base in preparation for plugin replacements in the future.

patoace
Dragon

Post by patoace »

If this gets adopted I'll be the happiest RPMinion, but really, since we are at the end of the development cycle ¿what are the chances of this being implemented?

Mr. Pokeylope
Giant

Post by Mr. Pokeylope »

Okay, the patch has been sent off. In addition to [s: ], [g: ], and [w(): ], I added [st: ] and [gt: ] for tooltip visibility. [w(): ] can be used in a few different ways:

Code: Select all

[w("name"): d20]
[w("name1", "name2"): d20]
[h: names = json.fromList("name1, name2")][w(names): d20]
I made another change: if you receive a message that would be empty because nothing in it is visible to you, the output is suppressed (you get no message rather than a blank message). This also applies to messages with [h: ] rolls; if there's nothing to display, you won't get a blank message.

plothos
Great Wyrm

Post by plothos »

Mr. Pokeylope wrote:I made another change: if you receive a message that would be empty because nothing in it is visible to you, the output is suppressed (you get no message rather than a blank message). This also applies to messages with [h: ] rolls; if there's nothing to display, you won't get a blank message.
You're a rockstar. That is very welcome indeed.
Drop-In Utilities:
My Spell Manager for D&D3.5 and PFRPG
My Inventory Manager for D&D and PFRPG, but more generally useable than that.
My Message Manager -- My Top-Down D&D Token Images
and my Custom Initiative & Status/Spell-Effect Tracker (work in progress, but functional).

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Mr. Pokeylope wrote:This also applies to messages with [h: ] rolls; if there's nothing to display, you won't get a blank message.
Meaning I don't have to add [ abort(0) ] to all my frame- and dialog-based macros anymore? Excellent!

:mrgreen:

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Mr. Pokeylope wrote:Okay, the patch has been sent off.
Patch has been applied to 1.3b58
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

So now would someone like to visit the wiki and add these to the Roll Option page(s)? Don't forget to denote that it will be in 1.3.b58+.

If you're new to the wiki, you can edit an existing page to see what the formats look like and how to depict examples and so forth.

Thanks!

Mr. Pokeylope
Giant

Post by Mr. Pokeylope »

Documentation has been added to the wiki.

Benz72
Giant

Post by Benz72 »

Just for clarity...
Is it possible to do a varying level of detail output on the same roll?

e.g.

gm sees "A attacks B. Roll is 3 vs. skill 15. Success by 12. Critical success"

player sees "You hit B with astonishing authority!"

other players see "A hits B."

If so, how would such an output variation be written?

Thanks

Mr. Pokeylope
Giant

Post by Mr. Pokeylope »

Benz72 wrote:Just for clarity...

e.g.

Well, you could fake it if you were sufficiently motivated. Basically, you'd just have

[g: <construct GM output>][s: <construct self output>][w(others): <construct other output>]
where others contains a JSON list of all players other than yourself who are not GMs (which you could construct using getAllPlayerNames(), getPlayerName(), and isGM()).

Benz72
Giant

Post by Benz72 »

Mr. Pokeylope wrote:
Benz72 wrote:Just for clarity...

e.g.

Well, you could fake it if you were sufficiently motivated. Basically, you'd just have

[g: <construct GM output>][s: <construct self output>][w(others): <construct other output>]
where others contains a JSON list of all players other than yourself who are not GMs (which you could construct using getAllPlayerNames(), getPlayerName(), and isGM()).
So you don't have to have the roll inside the specific [] that has the separate messages?

If you have the time, could you please provide a functioning example of rolling a die and having two result dependent outputs? Perhaps an example on the wiki documentation site would help those of us who are semi-functional macroers use this with a little cut and paste .

Thank You

Return to “MapTool”