Rolling back to b56 on a mac.

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
submacopter
Kobold

Rolling back to b56 on a mac.

Post by submacopter »

Hello everyone: any help on this would be appreciated.

One of my friends in a game I run uses a mac (10.5.6 i believe). I've been wanting to use Veggiesama frameworks for some time now and as the game is drawing near I am testing it with him. Unfortunately b59 and Veggiesama do not seem to mix well at the moment, so I decided to use b56 instead. However, in order to get Veggiesama to run I need to get my friend to up his stack size to 4. Which, as I understand for macs is impossible without using the launch page. And the only thing on the launch page is (drum roll)... b59!

So I am in a pickle. Is there any way to get to an old launch page to set up b56? Or is there some way to dig into the .dmg file and just say stack size =4 there? Or some other convoluted solution I have not considered?

I am a linux and windows user and have no clue about macs, but I need this player for my game. The other threads I have read on do not address my specific quandary. So I humbly come to you all for help.

Thanlis
Giant

Re: Rolling back to b56 on a mac.

Post by Thanlis »

As far as I know, Veggiesama works fine with b59 -- but you have to set the stack size, which you cannot do on Macs using the launch page. You can edit the value but it won't take. I'd guess that you're experiencing problems because his stack size isn't increased.

Have him open up Terminal, then type the following command line:

javaws "http://download.rptools.net/webstart.ph ... m%20-Xss8m"

That'll set the stack size to 8M and launch b59. Test that and see if it doesn't work.
Reed (halfling sorcerer P3) // Collin (human fighter P2) // Cine (eladrin psion H2)
Sirath (deva shaman H1) // Alesk (dragonborn cleric H3) // Kevin (halfling barbarian H1)

submacopter
Kobold

Post by submacopter »

Thank you for replying Thanlis, but I have tried b59 under veggie with an 8m stack size like you suggested (i normally use 6m) and still get this error, which I do not get in b56, when I click on a power macro I've created.

line 1:1073: expecting ''', found '’'

This happens if I use any symbol from an apostrophe to a minus sign appended to a hit effect (try it on your own and see if it works). This may seem like a picky problem, but when I'm trying to convince five others of the framework's ease of use, errors like that become a major hindrance. Hence my desire to use b56, as veggie seems to work perfectly under it.

I read somewhere on how to edit the contents of the disc image file on Macs to get a modified rollback to work. I will test that and then report back.

Thanlis
Giant

Post by Thanlis »

Hm, interesting! I admit that is not a case I've tested -- Veggiesama works fine for me but I don't know I have any hit effects of that kind.

Just to be clear, we're talking about the Hit field in the Primary tab on power creation? Normally it just has a single period in it, yah?
Reed (halfling sorcerer P3) // Collin (human fighter P2) // Cine (eladrin psion H2)
Sirath (deva shaman H1) // Alesk (dragonborn cleric H3) // Kevin (halfling barbarian H1)

submacopter
Kobold

Post by submacopter »

Exactly. It saves time for the group if we put in the powers exactly as written (who it targets, range, hit effects, etc.).

submacopter
Kobold

Post by submacopter »

hmm, now I'm getting this error on b56. Now I am _thoroughly_ confused.

submacopter
Kobold

Post by submacopter »

Ahhh, i think I see. I must have missed this in the documentation: clicking on the backwards apostrophe under the tilde key converts it into a normal apostrophe. I don't know how in the dozens of powers I have created I must have missed this fact. In any case, this must be my problem. Things should be in working order now.

keithcurtis
Giant

Post by keithcurtis »

submacopter wrote:Ahhh, i think I see. I must have missed this in the documentation: clicking on the backwards apostrophe under the tilde key converts it into a normal apostrophe. I don't know how in the dozens of powers I have created I must have missed this fact. In any case, this must be my problem. Things should be in working order now.
<hopeless typographical nitpicker> That's a grave accent, not an apostrophe of any kind. Sorry.</hopeless typographical nitpicker>

Thanlis
Giant

Post by Thanlis »

Aha! That clarifies the problem; thanks!

submacopter
Kobold

Post by submacopter »

Hey Keith, thanks for the insight. Don't worry about being "nitpicky". I was wondering what to call that little bugger.

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Thanlis wrote:but you have to set the stack size, which you cannot do on Macs using the launch page.
Are you sure? I'm pretty sure I have a player using a mac who has the larger stack size (my campaign framework needs one). Just curious!

Thanlis
Giant

Post by Thanlis »

Hawke wrote:
Thanlis wrote:but you have to set the stack size, which you cannot do on Macs using the launch page.
Are you sure? I'm pretty sure I have a player using a mac who has the larger stack size (my campaign framework needs one). Just curious!
I'm pretty sure. When I go to the launch page and launch with a larger stack size, then open a campaign using the Veggiesama framework, the macros die from low stack space. When I launch from the command line, they work. Back in b56, I checked the Java console and sure enough, stack size was 2 megs. I haven't checked the console output in the last month, though, so...

I'll check again. I'd love to be wrong. :)

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Thanlis wrote:I'll check again. I'd love to be wrong. :)
Yeah - not calling you a liar, but I'm now concerned that as we take a 2 week break and I enhance some macros, the mac guy will have some problems with stack size when we begin next time. Trying to get ahead of it so we can spend less session time working on it.

Wasn't there someone trying to make a .app of MT?

Thanlis
Giant

Post by Thanlis »

Hawke wrote:
Thanlis wrote:I'll check again. I'd love to be wrong. :)
Yeah - not calling you a liar, but I'm now concerned that as we take a 2 week break and I enhance some macros, the mac guy will have some problems with stack size when we begin next time. Trying to get ahead of it so we can spend less session time working on it.

Wasn't there someone trying to make a .app of MT?
Oh, no worries. There are a bunch of different parameters and dials and so forth; it's easy to get 'em wrong.

So I did try last night. When I used the launch page and launched with an 8 MB stack, Veggiesama macros crashed. When I launched the app from the command line (still using Java Web Start), Veggiesama macros worked. Both times I was using the same URL.

Gadroc used to build an app from the .jar files; you can tweak the stack size with the app as follows:

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11385

There's some info on how you do this here:

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=8978

Gadroc hasn't uploaded a new version in a little bit, though.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Hawke wrote:Are you sure? I'm pretty sure I have a player using a mac who has the larger stack size (my campaign framework needs one). Just curious!
Tiger works fine, Leopard fails. Or phrased a little better, those that have applied the latest Java patches/updates from Apple are failing (which is why I haven't updated).

The command line still works and the .app can be made to work as referenced in the above links. (Although I've rebuilt the ZIP file to include the Unix execute permission on the shell scripts so double-clicking them on Linux and OSX should work now. I'm going to automate the process and tie it to anyone visiting the Download page. That'll take a day or two.)

Return to “MapTool”