Current Stability 1.3b63: where does it rank?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)

Where does 1.3b63 stability rank?

Rock solid - I never have instability issues
50%
I have an instability issue almost never.
35%
I have an instability issues half the time.
10%
I have instability issues most of the time.
5%
I have so many instability issues that I went back to version X.
No votes

Total votes: 20

dorpond
RPTools Team

Current Stability 1.3b63: where does it rank?

Post by dorpond »

I need to get an overall feel on how stable (or likewise) the recent builds are. So if you could, please rate the current build. This is just for stability - we all know there are things we want fixed. ;)

It is hard sometimes to get an overall feel.

Also, explain your vote. This will be very helpful to us.

Note: I turned on the ability for users to change their vote because I want to observe this thread over time to see if things get better or worse with each release.

Thanks!
Dorpond

paulstrait
Dragon

Re: Current Stability: where does it rank?

Post by paulstrait »

I voted 8-- I haven't had any problems with the last several builds. I know that there is some kind of booting issue for some people given the bug reports, but I haven't really had this problem. The only minor issue I have is that sometimes when typing into a block I get a random error message-- but I can always just close and ignore the message without any consequence.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

paulstrait wrote: The only minor issue I have is that sometimes when typing into a block I get a random error message..
Typing into a block? Random error? Did you ever report the error to us? I am very curious. Post it in bug section if you could. Thanks!

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

I voted and I am voting on my experience. I play every week - 4 hours per session, and I have not had a single stability issue with B60+. I know others have reported issues but I am voting on my experiences.
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

paulstrait
Dragon

Post by paulstrait »

I'll post the bug next time it happens. Though it happens at least once if I'm working in maptool for several hours (especially if I'm creating new tokens and typing into forms), it isn't ever reproducible. I've yet to figure out what triggers it, aside from seeing situations in which it is more likely to occur.

Chrest
Cave Troll

Post by Chrest »

I also voted eight--I have personally had practically no problems with any of the b60+ releases. The few problems I have had are generally minor:

-A graphical glitch that seems to be limited to Macs http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=10637

-A very minor UI bug that I noticed a couple days ago and have just reported
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12507

-One of the players in my group receives strange error messages intermittently; I haven't been able to sit down with him to try and figure out what triggers them, and they're not common enough that they have impacted gameplay, so I haven't reported them.

-An overall feeling unpredictability. Every so often in MapTool, something will not work the way I would have anticipated (e.g. the steps required to select a transparent color in the drawing tool). It's not that it malfunctions or crashes, but I personally never feel 100% confident in a program until the UI is solid, because the UI is my only visible indication of the developers' attention to detail. If the UI feels slapdash, then I'm going to assume the underlying code has problems too. MapTool's interface is overall pretty good, but there are still some quirks, and as long as I feel like I'm adapting my usage to the program's quirks, I will always be a bit wary of what's going on under the hood.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

I recently started getting back into using the tool and have had no problems with b61/62. I haven't encountered any of the networking/dropped player issues that others have, though I am forced to use Hamachi with MT (an ISP issue.)

I did have a problem with Hamachi this last session where one player was "Relayed" instead of "Direct" and that kept that player from being able to connect to our game. But that's not MT's fault (beyond it relying on a local server.)
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

I changed the voting options. I was quickly finding that 1-10 wasn't all that helpful to the team. Please re-vote if you could. Thanks!
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

I voted for #2 or the almost never spot, though it could possibly be a #1 vote. I have only had one game in b62(was in b60 before that). Everything went very smoothly over the 5 hours. We had one point where everyone was booted from MapTool and Ventrilo, but not the webcam. I am leaning towards this being a Ventrilo issue, but I cannot be sure. I have 2 instances of ventrilo running, the second one to stream music. Usually the space between songs is enough to clear the buffer, but sometimes the ping still gets high. I hadn't noticed a high ping at that point, but I wasn't paying close attention either. We play again in a week and a half and I plan to pay closer attention.
View MapTool video tutorials at RPToolsTutorials.net

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

Most of my stability problems crop up when DM's force me to use some half-arsed framework I don't have any interest in using.

Minch Ruwin
Cave Troll

Post by Minch Ruwin »

I voted Rock Solid! I've never had an issue that couldn't be resolved by tweaking my router. My maps tend to be large and complex with lots of tokens and objects. I play roughly 1 a month for 6 hours a shot.

It should be noted however that I don't use any frameworks and maybe three or four macros.

Later! Minch.

Oompa
Cave Troll

Post by Oompa »

A quick question before i test,

Can i use the newest version while my players use a older version? Or do we all have to use the new version? My players ain't that big computer experts and i want to save them the stuff of updating till the latest moment..
Keep rollin them dice...

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

I've used MapTool since b31, and I've never had a stability issue, period. We updated every time the build cycled, and MapTool never crashed, never glitched out, never caused any "stability" issues whatsoever. There have been bugs, sure, and stuff that needed fixing, but I've never seen it do anything unstable.

The only issues I've had existed between the chair and the keyboard.

A quick question before i test,

Can i use the newest version while my players use a older version? Or do we all have to use the new version? My players ain't that big computer experts and i want to save them the stuff of updating till the latest moment..
No, everyone has to be on the same version.

kristof65
Dragon

Post by kristof65 »

We're using b61, along with a modified version of emirkol's WFRP 2e framework. It's been pretty stable - I've had a couple of issues, but they are probably not related to MT as far as I can tell, since they involve audio problems with Ventrilo at the same time.

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

I play 5 times per week. I DM twice and play 3 for a hourly average of 18 hrs. The only problems I have had really is when someone has a piss poor connection and it drags the server down and causes everyone else to close and restart (precautionary only). Normally, this has been Vista and Mac w/ B62 (no dmg file at the time).

Return to “MapTool”