[1.3b60+] Network/Boot Bug Discussion

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)

Is this happening during your games?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 15

Paradox
Dragon

Re: [1.3b60+] Network/Boot Bug Discussion

Post by Paradox »

LaserWolf wrote:
dorpond wrote:So I am uncertain what caused the crash - was it running macros? Was it the Mac disconnecting? Was it me trying to boot a non-graceful disconnect? Is it a mix of them?
I can rule out "trying to boot a non-graceful disconnect". I have never attempted to do so in my sessions (having experienced this several times).

Yeah, I was big on this idea, but later ruled it out. It has happened whether I try to boot someone or not.
I no longer believe that MapTools is usuable or intended just for programmers. MapTools is for everyone.

Paradox
Dragon

Post by Paradox »

Dorpond..

Here are my chatlogs..

DorpondTest is the chat log when Vry disconnected.. when you and I were on the Hell map and we experienced the Network Bug after he unplugged during mapload.

DorpondTest1 is the chatlog where I disconnected and Vry got to watch. You reported that you had a semi-crash that ballooned into a full blown crash a few minutes later.

You'll note I was not unable to rejoin as myself..
Then I tried a different user name and was still unable to rejoin..
Dorpond Test.zip
(7.02 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
Dorpond Test1.zip
(10.3 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
Bug.jpg
Bug.jpg (79.63 KiB) Viewed 1113 times
Bug1.jpg
Bug1.jpg (83.49 KiB) Viewed 1113 times
Bug2.jpg
Bug2.jpg (68.53 KiB) Viewed 1113 times
I no longer believe that MapTools is usuable or intended just for programmers. MapTools is for everyone.

Paradox
Dragon

Post by Paradox »

This screen shot is after Trevor has given Dorpond a special Jar file to trrack certain information when the bug happens.

I volunteered to force the disconnect while during a mapload.. I could not save as a chat log, so I took a screen shot. Note I could not log back in, and not could I log in under another name.
Bug3.jpg
Bug3.jpg (114.71 KiB) Viewed 1110 times

Paradox
Dragon

Post by Paradox »

Chatlog from the latest test conducted by none other than Trevor himself.. with Dorpond and myself as witnesses.. Vry simulated the disconnect this time while Trevor observed.
Trevor and Dorpond Test.zip
(2.09 KiB) Downloaded 29 times

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Trevor is disecting the currently crashed server as we speak.
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

Thanlis
Giant

Post by Thanlis »

dorpond wrote:Trevor is disecting the currently crashed server as we speak.
I am really grateful for the effort you guys are putting forth on this. Thank you.
Reed (halfling sorcerer P3) // Collin (human fighter P2) // Cine (eladrin psion H2)
Sirath (deva shaman H1) // Alesk (dragonborn cleric H3) // Kevin (halfling barbarian H1)

Paradox
Dragon

Post by Paradox »

Okay.. this is from the second test officiated by Trevor.. Could not save a chatlog because I was stuck attempting to log back in
Bug 4.jpg
Bug 4.jpg (146.03 KiB) Viewed 1087 times

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Thanlis wrote:
dorpond wrote:Trevor is disecting the currently crashed server as we speak.
I am really grateful for the effort you guys are putting forth on this. Thank you.
heh, no problem!

We can live with MT not looking pretty but we can't live with it being unstable! ;)
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

kristof65
Dragon

Post by kristof65 »

Hmm - something interesting to note that may/may not be related.

In the screen shot of his chat log, he notes that when Trevor forced the map change, it didn't change maps for him.

In the last two sessions I've played with b61, I've had that happen to me a couple of times - I've forced a map change, but the players said it didn't change for them, and they just asked what map to go to.

I haven't used that feature much, so I haven't really looked into it - I just assumed it was me.

We haven't had any crashes or disconnects, but I have seen that behavior. So far, all of us have really stable internet connections, too - maybe the two behaviours are somehow interrelated?

Paradox
Dragon

Post by Paradox »

We may be well on our way to seeing this solved! Trevor has isolated some issues, made some adjustments...

It may not prevent disconnects, but the rest of the group and the game should remain stable and the player be able to rejoin the group!

We may see an end to this nonsense this week!

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

I want to thanks Paradox, Vry, Rumble, DarkWiz58 and everyone else who helped out today. It took a lot of time consuming trial and error to try to reproduce the lockup. Once we locked in on it though, Trevor gladly jumped in and did some dissecting. He located the cause and took care of it. Thank you Trevor for jumping on the moment like you did - we all appreciate it.

That is what makes this community rock - we all work together towards a better product. My hats off to you all! Peace out - hopefully this will be the last time you will hear from me about this craziness! ;)

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

With the help of those dorpond listed above, we've been able to isolate the issue. The fix is in b63, huge thanks!
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

wrathchild
Dragon

Post by wrathchild »

Just want to express my admiration for this whole process. Make me proud to be an RPTools user and community member.

"If only the world ...", he thought, sitting in semi-snowed in Copenhagen, watching the world bicker ...

(Of course, the issue of the climate is perhaps a tad more complicated than MapTool, for all its awesomeness ;))
Entering the Digital Age of Roleplaying.
Part of the Resident GURPS Lobby.
Calling for Halos to be Hexified.

Return to “MapTool”