New Router, New Problems

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
heathan666
Giant

New Router, New Problems

Post by heathan666 »

Ok well I wanted to try and set up but there is no real documentation on setting up this router.
Its a Cisco Linksys router and asked for both External and Internal Ports....so wth do I put in there???
I know default port is 51234, but is that Internal or External??? Plz help.
"Nat 20 man, reroll a plate wearer next time."
Kugan - "All bless the god KA-CHING!"

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: New Router, New Problems

Post by aliasmask »

Look for something that says port trigger or port forwarding. It will be external.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

heathan666 wrote:I know default port is 51234, but is that Internal or External??? Plz help.
I can give you a fish, or I can teach you to fish. I prefer to teach you. :)

((Start by ensuring UPnP is turned on in the router and select that checkbox in MapTool when you start the server. Unless you have to go through more than one router to get to the 'net, this will work fine and the rest of the post can be ignored.))

Think about what you're trying to do... You want people on the 'net to be able to connect to your computer. The purpose of the router is to protect your internal network (the LAN) from the external network (the 'net). (See the Networking FAQ for information on how this protection works. A key concept is that ports are left blocked all the time.)

The external port number should be the one that you're advertising to the rest of the world as the location to connect to. If you fill in 12345 in the Start a Server dialog, then that port number will be sent to the RPTools registry and that's what the clients will use to connect. So that's what goes in the external port field. But what about the internal?

The internal port field is where the router should send the request. When you tell MapTool to listen on port 12345 that means your computer will answer any phone call for that extension number. So the router should send all outside packets to that extension. In this case, the internal and external port numbers are the same.

But suppose you had two MapTool servers you were running on your LAN. Both computers are listening for extension number 12345. But how is the router going to know which one to send packets to? That's easy: use different external port numbers! So when someone on the 'net connects to 12345 they are directed to computer #1 (port 12345) on your LAN. When someone else connects to 54321 they are directed to computer #2 (port 12345) on your LAN.

Notice that each computer is configured exactly the same and it's the router making the distinction. The only problem here is that the Start a Server dialog will tell the RPTools registry that both of them are on (external port) 12345! So when clients try to connect to computer #2, whoever set up the router will have to tell them, "use the Direct tab with IP address a.b.c.d and port number 54321". That's because the RPTools registry will have 12345 and that's incorrect for the second computer.

heathan666
Giant

Post by heathan666 »

ok now when I use just UPnP and have all that configured this is what i get when I start a server.

While closing UPnP port
net.sbbi.upnp.messages.UPNPResponseException: Detailed error code :713, Detailed error description :SpecifiedArrayIndexInvalid

heathan666
Giant

Post by heathan666 »

ok I've done this numerous times and I still don't know what is going on. If I plug up directly to the modem all is fine in the world. IF I put a router between the two, maptools doesn't work. Perhaps I should try a different port?? I mean I really don't know what is going on, but I used a new router so I doubt that is the problem anymore.
I followed the guide from portforwarding.com or w/e and did exactly what it told me to do. Maptools tells me everything is fine when I do a test connection and its never lied before. But when I go to run a game it doesn't work.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

heathan666 wrote:Maptools tells me everything is fine when I do a test connection and its never lied before. But when I go to run a game it doesn't work.
Define "doesn't work" more clearly.

If the Test Connection is working, there is likely something wrong with how the server is set up or how someone is trying to connect to it.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

Use a portscan website to verify that you have the prot truly open from the outside. Then have someone do a ssh to your external IP and port 51234(if MapTools is using another port, have the friend use that port instead). If both of those work, MapTools is not setup properly (kinda doubt as you said it works hooked directly to the modem). If either one or the other do not work, let us know which one and we can work from there.

heathan666
Giant

Post by heathan666 »

ok I did run a port scan off a website and it said that the port is not open. However I am going to go back through just incase to follow all the instructions to the letter and see if there is something I missed.
Also there must be something that is really jackin' this up, because I'm unable to connect to other peoples servers as well.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Unplug the router from the wall and leave it unplugged for 30 seconds. Then plug it back in. And don't skimp on the 30 seconds. ;)

CyrusStonecypher
Giant

Post by CyrusStonecypher »

First shalt thou take out the power cord. Then shalt thou count to thirty, no more, no less. Thirty shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be thirty. Thirty one shalt thou not count, neither count thou twenty nine, excepting that thou then proceed to thirty. Thirty two is right out. Once the number thirty, being the thirtieth number, be reached, then pluggest thou thy power cord into thy wall socket, in hopes that thine troubles shall snuff it.

Amen.

heathan666
Giant

Post by heathan666 »

ok I'll give it a try, I will admit, I am a bit shysty with the reboot counts normally, hell I'll give it a whole minute just to be sure.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

I'm usually pretty skimpy on such things as well. :roll: But trust me, skimping on this one will result in something that doesn't completely work when you plug it back in. I know -- been there, done that!

heathan666
Giant

Post by heathan666 »

Ok I'll try it out tomorrow when no one is home but me. But basically let me do an outline and tell me if I'm right.

1. Set up static IP.
2. Set up Portforwarding.
3. Unplug router for 30 seconds.
4. Pray to the Gods.
5. COme back here to post how the Gods hate me.

Is that about right?

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

Exactly correct, but the last part. :twisted:

heathan666
Giant

Post by heathan666 »

ok well I did all of these things, yes...the Gods hate me, I double and triple checked, turned off every possible firewall, even tried doing DMZ and still nothing...I'm wondering seriously what I'm doin wrong...if I have it hooked up to my modem and the firewalls are up, it doesn't block it...its only when I put the router in the mix, so I am messing up somewheres...I must IV some caffine to get my head str8.

Return to “MapTool”