Keep Map

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

That's good to hear! :D

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

trevor wrote:The lbl will not have any impact on rendering speed, at all (well, there is one exception, but it's moot in this discussion). Lbl will only impact speed when moving a token.

It's entirely the texture drawing. I actually did some profiling on it last night cause I noticed the slowness too. I'm already deep into rebuilding the drawable renderer that will provide some relief :)
Very cool!

So I shouldn't be afraid of erasing stuff?

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

dorpond wrote: So I shouldn't be afraid of erasing stuff?
nope :)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

trevor wrote:Keep in mind that with 1.2b9 the texture drawn maps created with 1.2b8 and before won't work quite like you expect.
Oh, that is OK - I expect the future versions of Maptool to break these maps that I am making.

It really doesn't take me long at all to make them. I figure it as Testing Time anyway. That is part of my job title. ;)

Trust me, I will take progress any day at the cost of campaigns breaking :)

dLANbandit
Dragon

Post by dLANbandit »

Now here is something odd about the vision. If you put a vision on the 3rd soldier in the group of 4. of the soldiers behind the wall, say a 120 foot circle vision. Then put an identical vision on Dorpond. Then move Dorpond One sqare in from the wall on the left, so he is standing next to the corner of the left entrance on the inside. Now mouse over Dorpond to see he has LOS on the soldier, if with a cover bonus for the soldier. Now mouse over the soldier and see he cannot see Dorpond.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Are you using block vision or round vision ?

dLANbandit
Dragon

Post by dLANbandit »

round.

dLANbandit
Dragon

Post by dLANbandit »

Do I need to post a screen shot?

trevor

Post by trevor »

dLANbandit wrote:Do I need to post a screen shot?
That would be helpful, it's on my TODO list to investigate

dLANbandit
Dragon

Post by dLANbandit »

You can see from the following images Dorpond can shoot more soldiers behind the wall than the soldiers can shoot him. That is a bit backwards for this defense. I think it is because the vision is being drawn from the token center not from the token edge out.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

dLANbandit wrote:You can see from the following images Dorpond can shoot more soldiers behind the wall than the soldiers can shoot him. That is a bit backwards for this defense. I think it is because the vision is being drawn from the token center not from the token edge out.
While drawing vision from the leading edge would give a wider field of view for the soldiers behind the walls that isn't the problem.

The problem is that Dorpond drew his arrow loops backwards.

In reality our vision doesn't originate from a point and we have the ability to move around a bit to get a bigger picture when viewing the world through an aperture. One way to simulate this is to determine vision from all points along the edge of the token. This would kill performance. Even doing it from 9 pts (corners, midpoints, center) would drastically affect performance.

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

Yeah the arrow slits are backward, but I also think we are looking at this somewhat wrong, we do not have a 'round' 360 degree of vision, so using the round vision template to attempt to show a realistic field of view is wrong, a cone would be more accurate. 180 degrees is a more realistic field of view for humans....if we want to be 'realistic' in fantasy. :wink:
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

But Snikle you forget that in DnD everyone has 360 deg vision and that is the reality that is important. :twisted:

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

Well, again, proving my point that D&D is dumb. :wink:
Cool, so my dwarf has eyes in the back of his head....sweet!
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

trevor

Post by trevor »

Although it does look like the vision apex is off center on the guard in the middle image.

Return to “User Creations”