store tokens not in use and go from map to map??

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Pyro-Tech
Cave Troll

store tokens not in use and go from map to map??

Post by Pyro-Tech »

As the title suggests, how do I do them??

The reason being, say I have a main NPC that only shows from time to time. I'm unsure how to store that token so that I don't have to re-do a character sheet every time.

and of course, how to transfer character's from map to map.

Thanks!

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: store tokens not in use and go from map to map??

Post by Azhrei »

Check out this link: http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=10642

In particular you want the feature named, "Move Tokens to Map."

metatheurgist
Dragon

Post by metatheurgist »

You can right click a token and save it to file (and drag them back on a map). You can also Ctrl+X and Ctrl+V to cut and paste selected tokens.

Pyro-Tech
Cave Troll

Post by Pyro-Tech »

I saw that but am still unsure about how to "install" things onto maptools....I was just unsure if there was a way to store tokens over time.

Cut and paste won't store from session to session would it?? and even so, I could only keep one token like that.

EDIT: one way to maybe do it is have a map just for the sake of storing said token's work?

mfrizzell
Dragon

Post by mfrizzell »

When you right click on a token there is a save option near the bottom that lets you save the token independent of the campaign. In the future you can just drag and drop that token from windows explorer onto a map and it's in again.
Secondly when you save a campaign everything in the campaign including tokens are saved to.
You can place tokens on a holding map for later deployment if you like. They will always be there as long as you save the campaign.
DCI/RPGA# 7208328396 Skype ID mfrizzell77
Characters:
Strabor - Dwarf Avenger 5th Level
Tikkanan - Human Warlock 2nd Level
----------------------------------------------------
"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."

Raoden
Dragon

Post by Raoden »

It sounds like the option you're really looking for is the right-click-on-token, "Save Token" as its own file feature.

In practice, though, you won't actually have to use that very often, because whenever you save a Campaign, all the tokens in it are saved too.

Moving tokens between maps is usually something you want to do immediately, which is where the Cut/Paste feature comes in handy. If you're not going to place the token immediately on another map, don't worry about having a "storage map" for tokens; just save the Campaign and leave them on the old map, or save the tokens as separate files.
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed."
- G. K. Chesterton

Wonderful HTML/CSS reference * Color Manager * Token Manager 2.0

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Raoden wrote:It sounds like the option you're really looking for is the right-click-on-token, "Save Token" as its own file feature.

In practice, though, you won't actually have to use that very often, because whenever you save a Campaign, all the tokens in it are saved too.
It has been useful for the Pathfinder Society games I've been playing in, though. I can work on my token macros and variables and then save them locally. If/when there's a server problem or network connection problem, I'm certain of having a local copy that I can drag back to the map.

biodude
Dragon

Post by biodude »

Pyro-Tech wrote:I saw that but am still unsure about how to "install" things onto maptools....I was just unsure if there was a way to store tokens over time.
Once you have saved a token as a separate file (as described by others above), you can usually drag said file onto the MapTool window and the token will be added to the map, complete with macros, property values, etc. that were on the token when it was saved.
Alternately, if you save your tokens to a folder that has been added to your Resource Library (File > Add To Resource LIbrary ... ), you can drag these tokens onto the map from the Library window.

Hope that was what you were looking for.
"The trouble with communicating is believing you have achieved it"
[ d20 StatBlock Importer ] [ Batch Edit Macros ] [ Canned Speech UI ] [ Lib: Math ]

Pyro-Tech
Cave Troll

Post by Pyro-Tech »

I'm kinda thinking of the functionallity of Klooge.werks how you can store them "off map" within the campaign tree. I was unsure if MapTool had something similar. but i understand what you mean with the file save now so. that or my idea of a holdimg map will do fine.

thanks guys!

Return to “MapTool”