Lindsay's Generic Tools (Whisper, Move Tokens, Handouts)

These are tools and utilities that make it easier to run games. This includes Lib: macro tokens dropped into MapTool to manage the game, a conversion file for CharacterTool to allow use in MapTool, or just about anything else you can think of -- except graphics with macros and anything specific to a particular campaign framework. Those are already covered by the Tilesets subforum and the Links and External Resources forum.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Re: Lindsay's Generic Tools (Whisper, Move Tokens, Handouts)

Post by lmarkus001 »

MapTools allows you to create multiple maps inside of a campaign file. All my Move-Tokens approach does is provide a way to manage Map-X-Y coordinates. You need to use MapTools to create the maps. Once the maps are created, you can then use my tools to create references to the maps.

So if in MapTools you created 3 maps:

Village
Farm
Ant Lair

(Those are just sample descriptive names.)

Then when you wanted to make Move-To points, you would use my tool to create entries. When you select Add Map, you will be given a prompt with pull-down list of existing maps that have not been added that you can choose from. So you might have an entry for Village, and when you do Add Map you would see the options Farm, Ant Lair. Remember all this is doing is keeping the destination info (Map, X, Y).

Daniel
Giant

Post by Daniel »

Kickass. Great collection of great tools.
"This web of time [...] embraces every possibility. We do not exist in most of them. In some you exist and not I, while in others I do, and you do not. [...] In yet another, I say these very same words, but am an error, a phantom."

J.L. Borges

Sinistry
Cave Troll

Post by Sinistry »

So very sorry to have to ask such a dumb question but in addition to being new to maptool I'm also suffering from sleep deprivation (due to all the interesting info and material I've found on these forums) and can't find anything on installing these awesome tools. Do I just drop the entire unzipped folder into the lib folder or should I drop the individual files into it? Is the lib folder even the right place to put anything? Man, I hate realizing I'm not as smart as I think I am... :D

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

Sinistry wrote:So very sorry to have to ask such a dumb question but in addition to being new to maptool I'm also suffering from sleep deprivation (due to all the interesting info and material I've found on these forums) and can't find anything on installing these awesome tools. Do I just drop the entire unzipped folder into the lib folder or should I drop the individual files into it? Is the lib folder even the right place to put anything? Man, I hate realizing I'm not as smart as I think I am... :D
No need to put the files in your /lib folder. Create a folder on your HDD (doesn't matter where), add these folder to your Library by clicking File-->Add resource to library. Now, depending on the file extension, you either A) File-->Open Campaign and find the file or B) Window-->Library and find the file and drag and drop onto the map. If you need help with this watch the video tutorials as they provide a general overview on this.

Sinistry
Cave Troll

Post by Sinistry »

Got it. I also actually found the installation instructions ( I get lost in these forums :oops: ) and followed them step by step (using the test campaign that came with the package) and all went well until the reload wherein I got the chat message "Error running onCampaignLoad on Lib:libLGMUtil : Undefined function: setCurrentMap". I don't know what that means precisely, but in my experience anything beginning with Error has issues affixed to it. Did I do something wrong or is my MT version (1.3.b59) not compatible?

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Yep, you're MapTool version is too old to have the Wiki: setCurrentMap() function.

Sinistry
Cave Troll

Post by Sinistry »

Awesome...then I can follow simple instructions! Thanks for the insight.

krellos
Cave Troll

Post by krellos »

In regards to the Handouts, I can't seem to get any of the 'Rich Handout Description' text to show, when I am using an image in my handout- regardless if I put the image before or after the text.

Is my image possibly too large, so that its crowding out the text?

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

krellos wrote:In regards to the Handouts, I can't seem to get any of the 'Rich Handout Description' text to show, when I am using an image in my handout- regardless if I put the image before or after the text.

Is my image possibly too large, so that its crowding out the text?
Humm.... the size of the image should not matter as the window will get scroll bars.

Shpena
Cave Troll

Post by Shpena »

If instead of a 3x3 random grid, could I shrink it down to a 2x2?

[H: cntX = 1d3-2 ]
[H: cntY = 1d3-2 ]

is what I need to change, correct?

[H: newX = dX + cntX + 1 ]
[H: newY = dY + cntY + 1 ]

I leave alone?

Edit: After testing:
[H: cntX = 1d2-1 ]
[H: cntY = 1d2-1 ]
[H: newX = dX + cntX ]
[H: newY = dY + cntY ]

work beautifully for a 'large' teleport pad. Thanks for an excellent tool! :)
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils."
- Louis-Hector Berlioz

travist627
Giant

Post by travist627 »

Hey, folks,
I grabbed this some time ago when I was looking for an easier way to move our tokens around to different maps. I tweaked the Lib: token because I wanted a quick way to set a start point based on hidden "Start" pins that I put on my maps to show me where I wanted the PC tokens to land.

My tweak adds a few minor features to the Config Move-To screen, which you can see in the screen cap below. First, I put in a "Go to this map" link, since I wanted a quick way to jump to the maps that I had in the window for quick comparisons. Second, I put in an "EP Token X" button that will add a move-to coordinate for a token that you have selected on the map. For me, this makes setting up start points really easy. I just select my "Start" pin token on the map and click the "EP Token" button. The default name for the created point is the name of the token. Third, I put in a link by the "Add Map" button that will give you the coordinates for the token you have selected on the map. The coordinates will appear in the chat window. This link was my original attempt to make adding coordinates based on tokens easier. I left it in because I do use the coordinates for reference sometimes when I edit an already existing point.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (26.5 KiB) Viewed 7355 times
I changed the red onCampaignLoad button's name to CampaignLoad, as I have a Lib: token that calls all of the CampaignLoad macros from various other tokens. You will likely want to change that back to "onCampaignLoad" to load the library's functions properly.

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

Nice addition!

Zalarian
Cave Troll

Post by Zalarian »

I was hoping someone could help me out with using this utility.

I downloaded the zip file at the beginning of this thread and created a new campaign file and imported the 2 token files, I imported the table, and I imported the campaign macros.

However, when I click on any of the campaign macro buttons, I get one the following error samples:

Undefined function: lgm.handout
Undefined function: lgm.displayWhisperFrame
Undefined function: lgm.handout
Undefined function: lgm.editMapsLocs

I noticed that the lib token is called Lib:libLGMUtil. What is lgm in the above macros referring to? The campaign file that is included in the zip seems to work but I couldn't find where that is referencing the object called lgm.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I should be doing differently?

mfrizzell
Dragon

Post by mfrizzell »

Did you click on the onCampaignLoad macro on the Lib token?
This macro initializes all of the user defined functions that you are getting errors for. Because it runs on campaign load the campaign file works every time:)
DCI/RPGA# 7208328396 Skype ID mfrizzell77
Characters:
Strabor - Dwarf Avenger 5th Level
Tikkanan - Human Warlock 2nd Level
----------------------------------------------------
"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."

Zalarian
Cave Troll

Post by Zalarian »

mfrizzell wrote:Did you click on the onCampaignLoad macro on the Lib token?
This macro initializes all of the user defined functions that you are getting errors for. Because it runs on campaign load the campaign file works every time:)
Indeed I did not..Thanks!
Where/how in maptools do you specify a macro to run on campaign load?
Hybrid File
LFR Roster
LFR Roster:
P2 Zerin Stargazer / P2 Crymisil Silvershroud / E1 Llendil R'uthgalad Nelath
P3 Maddox "Mongoose" / P2 Vargaz / H3 Soulherder Vanya Mythseeker
E1 Kyla Marillion / H2 Ender/ P1 Locknar the Red of the Blue Order/ P3 Corinth Enilef
H3 Korben Airspur / H1 Alif Fluidsmith / H3 Navarre
Skype ID:Zalarian
I have no issues playing low

Return to “Drop-In Macro Resources”